BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 161
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

You ever play with the SOF-TW tourniquet?
View Quote

Negative.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Negative.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

You ever play with the SOF-TW tourniquet?

Negative.

They're damn nice.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Capt-Planet:

He's right on the windlass. Having the white fabric covering that says "TIME: " on it, over both ends of the securing tabs, over the windlass, means you'll have to undo that to tighten the windlass. Securing the end of the covering over just one side means you can just grab the windlass and pull it out of the securing tabs and start cranking down on that mother without any additional steps.

Otherwise, I think people knock the TK NOW! before they try it, because it's a one hand operation that's just as fast as rubber bands. You just grab the TK and pull at any angle but straight out and you're good to go.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DYEGB:

Consider configuring your tourniquet for faster use.

How much faster could it be arranged?

He's right on the windlass. Having the white fabric covering that says "TIME: " on it, over both ends of the securing tabs, over the windlass, means you'll have to undo that to tighten the windlass. Securing the end of the covering over just one side means you can just grab the windlass and pull it out of the securing tabs and start cranking down on that mother without any additional steps.

Otherwise, I think people knock the TK NOW! before they try it, because it's a one hand operation that's just as fast as rubber bands. You just grab the TK and pull at any angle but straight out and you're good to go.

TK now's are the shit.  I have used a couple through several deployments and they are still going strong.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Does your TQ not interfere with your carbine if you were to need to shoot offhand from your left? I know you take a lot of classes, so I know you've already sorted your kit out by this point.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Currahee:

Rubber bands dry-rot and break too easily, especially having it in that location. I opened it up and tried to refold it but there really isn't a better way to arrange it. Either way, it's going to take manual dexterity and a bit of focus to apply a tourniquet, particularly if you have to do it to yourself. God forbid.

I use ranger bands.  I keep my TQs looped so that if I have to apply it to my arm I can do it one handed.  If I have to put it on someone else or on a leg, I hope I have two hands.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/currahee/permanent/L2heavy_zps8a383218.jpg

Does your TQ not interfere with your carbine if you were to need to shoot offhand from your left? I know you take a lot of classes, so I know you've already sorted your kit out by this point.

No, on the PC my stock might go on either side of it.  On my chest rig I don't even notice it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Taken with shitty iPotato
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#6]
plate update

" />
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Are those plates contoured at all? They look really thin and flat.  Is it comfortable when you've got the whole thing on there?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]
This is my current set-up, although it's still a work in progress.  Just switched from using an ALICE pistol belt with M-16 mag pouches to using a BAR belt I got for a few bucks at the surplus store the other day.  It can hold 8 20-round FAL mags and the position of the grommets allow me to have two things on the same place on my belt using wire hangers, which increases my real estate compared to trying to get everything to fit on the pistol belt (pouches interfered with using the wire hangers in the same spot).  

Not a good pic, but I'm not going to send my film in to get developed for a bit, so I had to use my cellphone camera.  

I intend to use my grandma's industrial sewing machine to add some MOLLE webbing to the empty spaces on the BAR belt so I can put pistol mag pouches there since I have nowhere to put those right now.  In the future I'll probably change holsters, add an IFAK (seems like a good one costs more than all of my gear combined), and maybe change to using an older canteen pouch that uses a wire hanger to free up some space on the side of the field pack.  I may also see if I can find someone who can install lift-the-dot fasteners and add an extra stud to the BAR mag pouches, which will allow the use of 2 30-round AR mags or 25-round FAL mags.  This set-up is meant to be used primarily with my FAL and Hi-Power.

Serves me fairly well considering how tiny my budget is for such things.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:19:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Currahee] [#9]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
This is my current set-up, although it's still a work in progress.  Just switched from using an ALICE pistol belt with M-16 mag pouches to using a BAR belt I got for a few bucks at the surplus store the other day.  It can hold 8 20-round FAL mags and the position of the grommets allow me to have two things on the same place on my belt using wire hangers, which increases my real estate compared to trying to get everything to fit on the pistol belt (pouches interfered with using the wire hangers in the same spot).  

Not a good pic, but I'm not going to send my film in to get developed for a bit, so I had to use my cellphone camera.  

I intend to use my grandma's industrial sewing machine to add some MOLLE webbing to the empty spaces on the BAR belt so I can put pistol mag pouches there since I have nowhere to put those right now.  In the future I'll probably change holsters, add an IFAK (seems like a good one costs more than all of my gear combined), and maybe change to using an older canteen pouch that uses a wire hanger to free up some space on the side of the field pack.  I may also see if I can find someone who can install lift-the-dot fasteners and add an extra stud to the BAR mag pouches, which will allow the use of 2 30-round AR mags or 25-round FAL mags.  This set-up is meant to be used primarily with my FAL and Hi-Power.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/bigstick61/Image08112014154647.jpg
View Quote

Truly awesome to see someone adapting classic gear on a budget and making shit work.

My only advice would be trade the e-tool for another canteen and get a garden trowel in your butt pack.  I would stay away from the old style canteen attachments they flop around like a bitch.

Pic thread/OLD school

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Truly awesome to see someone adapting classic gear on a budget and making shit work.

My only advice would be trade the e-tool for another canteen and get a garden trowel in your butt pack.  I would stay away from the old style canteen attachments they flop around like a bitch.

Pic thread/OLD school

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/currahee/3LBEexp_zps67c41268.jpg
View All Quotes

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/bigstick61/Image08112014154647.jpg

Pic thread/OLD school

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/currahee/3LBEexp_zps67c41268.jpg

Sometimes I do have a second canteen on there and no e-tool (I do have to have something on the other side, otherwise the balance gets thrown off somewhat).  Interestingly, whenever I've used the e-tool it has been more for hacking at things with the edge than digging.  Not sure I'd use a trowel for that, but I can definitely see the merit in the substitution.

I know stuff on wire hangers can flap around a bit, but I could use the extra space and the canteens on the butt pack also flop around somewhat (whereas on a pistol belt that is not the case).  Still testing things on this new setup, as it's my first real experience with a BAR belt.  I had to rearrange much of my setup going from a pistol belt to that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:23:22 AM EDT
[#11]
That looks like a solid as fuck FAL rig.

Currahee pretty much said what I think. If you don't dig with the e-tool. You can chop shit alot better with a large knife or hatchet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:50:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#12]
Originally Posted By daemon734:

TK now's are the shit.  I have used a couple through several deployments and they are still going strong.

<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/daemon734/media/04dda1a3-9b88-4bc4-afb6-1a0ebd8168fa_zps52859b75.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/04dda1a3-9b88-4bc4-afb6-1a0ebd8168fa_zps52859b75.jpg</a>
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/daemon734/media/04dda1a3-9b88-4bc4-afb6-1a0ebd8168fa_zps52859b75.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/04dda1a3-9b88-4bc4-afb6-1a0ebd8168fa_zps52859b75.jpg</a>

Can I ask if you know the subjects in that photo? I'm old acquaintances with the EOD guy on the left.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:40:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By wsix:

Currahee pretty much said what I think. If you don't dig with the e-tool. You can chop shit alot better with a large knife or hatchet.
View Quote

I've thought of that as an alternative as well.  Most of the time I've used the e-tool it is in the context of campfires, either setting up a fire pit or putting out the fire and any embers on logs and such.  As I said, it's a work in progress.  For now I'm not able to purchase anything more, but I've been wanting to get a decent field knife and a small axe or tomahawk, ideally something not too heavy, for carrying outdoors in general.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#14]

I've thought of that as an alternative as well.  Most of the time I've used the e-tool it is in the context of campfires, either setting up a fire pit or putting out the fire and any embers on logs and such.  As I said, it's a work in progress.  For now I'm not able to purchase anything more, but I've been wanting to get a decent field knife and a small axe or tomahawk, ideally something not too heavy, for carrying outdoors in general.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wsix:

For light camp work, the Cold Steel Trench Hawk provides good bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

Can I ask if you know the subjects in that photo? I'm old acquaintances with the EOD guy on the left.
View All Quotes

Lol. One of those sexy slabs of man meat is daemon, so he probably does.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:29:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#16]

View All Quotes

Yeah, i'm on the right.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By sevin8nin:
Are those plates contoured at all? They look really thin and flat.  Is it comfortable when you've got the whole thing on there?
View Quote

I decided to go with the standard plates from AR500 for 65x2 for around 140 + or  -  including shipping. I'm trying to have two rigs eventually so I can hand one off to someone else If I need too (gf/ brother etc). I've only been out of school so I'm piecing together all this stuff bit by bit.

When I do purchase a second pair of plates I'll go ahead and get two contoured plates to even everything out.

Just dropped another 449 at Palmetto today too. I think I'm addicted.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Yeah, i'm on the right.
View All Quotes

Yeah, i'm on the right.

Right on. That uncensored photo showed up on my FB feed about a week ago. haha
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:45:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Just finished putting this together:

It's a horizontally mounted tourniquet holder that operates similar to my vertical version, with some added features.

Added elastic loops for holding a Sharpie or chemlight:

Added an integrated attachment system to eliminate the need for third party solutions:

Added a small admin slip pocket for latex gloves, CASEVAC cards, and/or replacement rubber bands:

I wanted the footprint to fit the standard 4 column section on the chest of most of the popular PCs:

It will fit CATs, SOFT-T, and SOFT-W tourniquets.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TR0N_0010:

It's a horizontally mounted tourniquet holder that operates similar to my vertical version, with some added features.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3861/14746512349_e72562dec0_b.jpg

Added an integrated attachment system to eliminate the need for third party solutions:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5594/14746517560_e51de027da_b.jpg

Added a small admin slip pocket for latex gloves, CASEVAC cards, and/or replacement rubber bands:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5593/14932810702_f04e77865f_b.jpg

I wanted the footprint to fit the standard 4 column section on the chest of most of the popular PCs:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3855/14933172455_2cbbc4d2c1_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3860/14910176176_2c4bca7459_b.jpg

View Quote

That's pretty sexy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

That's pretty sexy.
View All Quotes

That's pretty sexy.

Agreed. You certainly have some talent.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Are you building these to sell? If so please put me in line. I know a lot if dudes looking for a horizontal TQ pouch.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#23]
TR0N's fabric handiwork is topnotch. Love my chest rig panel.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Yea, he got me squared away.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Got my gear going. LBT 6094a and LBT padded equipment belt.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Firefighter503:

View All Quotes

/snip/

That's pretty sexy.

Thanks! I've definitely learned a lot making this stuff, and it's nice to hear that it's getting some real use from some of y'all.

Pic thread:

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#27]
^^^ That's awesome!
Pic thread
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CtSmshr:
^^^ That's awesome!
Pic thread
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a584/GudOlBoy1/20140818_183423_zpsbc45aea0.jpg
View Quote

where you get those patches for the d3cr?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Slovpeter:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Slovpeter:
^^^ That's awesome!
Pic thread
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a584/GudOlBoy1/20140818_183423_zpsbc45aea0.jpg

Not sure if they the sames ones but here are a few.

PATCHES
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:44:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shadow4Golf] [#30]
Originally Posted By WalkingNightmare:

Are you building these to sell? If so please put me in line. I know a lot if dudes looking for a horizontal TQ pouch.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WalkingNightmare:

A friend of mine sorted one of those out a while back,
http://store.legionfirearms.com/D-27-Tourniquet-Pouch-Admin-Pouch-p/d27pouch_.htm
They went with a large loop over the pull tab set up.  If I still needed a PC or body armor, I'd have one.  Or two.

Here's a better link with more pics
http://kitup.military.com/2012/06/legion-firearms-delta-27-tqadmin.html
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Switched my BOK to a tru-spec double mag pouch.  I really like the elastic things on the side and gets the TQ off my shoulder.  It holds a Izzy, quick clot sponge and TQ.  Gonna order a couple more of these for my CamelBak.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I want to buy a DC3R now hahaha, damn this thread
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By matticuski:

View Quote

It's a cool little setup for sure.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
I like mine.  Just about to pick up a pack that will integrate with it.  Then I'll just be saving funds for a PC and plates.  

FWIW I wish I would have just gotten the coyote brown over the kryptek highlander.  It's not hugely different, but it is different.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#35]
First multicam product. Gen III gore tex jacket:

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Thanks! I've definitely learned a lot making this stuff, and it's nice to hear that it's getting some real use from some of y'all.

Pic thread:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3906/14950785101_4a6caa8f74_c.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5593/14930901816_03b52f75a8_c.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3842/14953547432_8871ef12f3_c.jpg
View All Quotes

/snip/

That's pretty sexy.

Pic thread:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3906/14950785101_4a6caa8f74_c.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5593/14930901816_03b52f75a8_c.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3842/14953547432_8871ef12f3_c.jpg

I need one of those!
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:05:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larryparamedic] [#38]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

Hell I have two of those.
View All Quotes

Golf clap?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By larryparamedic:

Golf clap?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By larryparamedic:

Golf clap?

If you feel you must....

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I have an unhealthy obsession with Tactical Tailor MAV's right now.

A Tactical Tailor AK chest rig

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:56:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CtSmshr] [#41]
Originally Posted By Joehs:
I like mine.  Just about to pick up a pack that will integrate with it.  Then I'll just be saving funds for a PC and plates.  

FWIW I wish I would have just gotten the coyote brown over the kryptek highlander.  It's not hugely different, but it is different.  

View All Quotes

The rig itself is awesome I particularly love the StuffIt pouch. It's a very cool idea and works great for lots of stuff. The chest rigs shoulder strap kit leaves a lot to be desired though. Mostly just the fact the adjustment ends are loose and not retained. I got it to run on my APC with the SwiftClips and for that I love it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By nickforney:

It is a lucid hd7 I am playing with I like it thus far.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CrazyWhiteGuy:
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/20140710_175454.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/20140710_175454.jpg</a>
I feel 10 feet tall and strong as an ox.

Is that one of those battery acogs?

I was very close to getting one of those Lucids and had a little extra money and bought an Aimpoint. I may still buy one for another rifle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:

I was very close to getting one of those Lucids and had a little extra money and bought an Aimpoint. I may still buy one for another rifle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:
Originally Posted By CrazyWhiteGuy:
<a href="http://s273.photobucket.com/user/nickforney/media/20140710_175454.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj228/nickforney/20140710_175454.jpg</a>
I feel 10 feet tall and strong as an ox.

Is that one of those battery acogs?

They are ok.  Little big for my taste but got it pretty cheap and I had shot another guys at a carbine course and generally enjoyed it.  That said it isn't even on a rifle at this point.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#44]

The rig itself is awesome I particularly love the StuffIt pouch. It's a very cool idea and works great for lots of stuff. The chest rigs shoulder strap kit leaves a lot to be desired though. Mostly just the fact the adjustment ends are loose and not retained. I got it to run on my APC with the SwiftClips and for that I love it.

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a584/GudOlBoy1/2014-08-18185622_zps8f603c36.jpg
View All Quotes

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a584/GudOlBoy1/2014-08-18185622_zps8f603c36.jpg

Agree.  I'm in line for either a velocity LPAC or a mayflower apc to use it with.  Just have to get the coin together (hoping a sale comes up this weekend on something).  

I've been considering parting with it in favor of a regular plate carrier and some pouches, but I like the modularity of being able to unsnap it and run it stand alone.  Even if I have to use the kinda weird shoulder straps.  

I don't have it fully loaded out yet either, but I've got a decent start.  Still need to pick up a med kit for one of the front pouches.

Still with I would have ordered coyote though :P

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Agree.  I'm in line for either a velocity LPAC or a mayflower apc to use it with.  Just have to get the coin together (hoping a sale comes up this weekend on something).  

I've been considering parting with it in favor of a regular plate carrier and some pouches, but I like the modularity of being able to unsnap it and run it stand alone.  Even if I have to use the kinda weird shoulder straps.  

I don't have it fully loaded out yet either, but I've got a decent start.  Still need to pick up a med kit for one of the front pouches.

View All Quotes

I have a MF UW Gen IV, which has a much better shoulder strap system that is compatible with the D3CR so that's what I'll use if/when I run it as a chest rig. Although 95% of the time I run my PC. I too like the modularity or the SwiftClip system. Between the D3CR and MF Gen IV I have 2 different load outs that I can slap right on or I can just run slick.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Are those rifle grenade tubes?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By Shadow4Golf:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shadow4Golf:

Russian signal flares, I've been on a combloc collecting kick lately.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:36:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedFerret] [#49]
I got a new patch today.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
I got a new patch today.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/armed_ferret/20140827_212900_zpsuc6f1ieb.jpg
View Quote

Where did you get that? I have been looking for those
Page / 161
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top