Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I actually think the modified UCP E looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 3:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just want Multicam.

Whatever they do...I'd like them to authorize it for everywhere...and I'd buy my own...happy as can be in my MC.

But choosing MC would be great for effectiveness...GREATER for our morale.

And the folks in charge of the selection process care how much about the morale(much less the effectivness) of the groundpounders?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Yeah I know...

I really hate this modified UCP. IT looks like they'll choose that so they won't have to do a full re-arm and re-stock thing again.....

But I yearn for some issued MC.....or at least authorized. Then again...if they issue UCP-D, and then authorize multicam...we'll all go down for "some of these things are not like the others" type of deal.

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait till you've been to a division change of command thats even worst. We did the rehearsal for about as long as the actual ceremony and they were treating NCO's like basic trainee's. It got so ridiculous that they prevented people that were PCSing from clearing that day for that shit. I know one thing, once I get out of 4th ID I plan on staying out of it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just want Multicam.

Whatever they do...I'd like them to authorize it for everywhere...and I'd buy my own...happy as can be in my MC.

But choosing MC would be great for effectiveness...GREATER for our morale.

And the folks in charge of the selection process care how much about the morale(much less the effectivness) of the groundpounders?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Yeah I know...

I really hate this modified UCP. IT looks like they'll choose that so they won't have to do a full re-arm and re-stock thing again.....

But I yearn for some issued MC.....or at least authorized. Then again...if they issue UCP-D, and then authorize multicam...we'll all go down for "some of these things are not like the others" type of deal.

I know but I trust them to make "the right decision" about as far as I can throw an abrams tank.
Seems to me that you take what ranks the highest in all the environments & use that as your base uniform. Then if the team is going into an area that they want something more specialized, you let them pick what they want.

MC FTMFW!

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#5]
anything but acu's!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Ewwwww. Somebody mixed diarrhea with ACUs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm w/ the "anything but ACU" school of thought...I think even the UCP-D is better than ACU, poop stains and all. F it, get it over with and out there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]
The NATICK Camo Detection Study of 2007 like the original Natick study, supports adopting Multicam and/or the All Over Brush pattern.  

ACU was never tested heads up in 2004 when it was adopted.  It was adopted on a lark by adding random colors from one of the worst performers in the original Natick Study.  

This was a decision of General Schoomaker, Army Chief of Staff at the time.  (He even wanted his official portrait in ACU he thought it was so awesome).  All the research that preceded it was ignored.  Folk wisdom about the "evils of black" removed black from Urban Track and it was digitized.  That's it.  Later research on alternatives have consistently rated ACU very low, near the bottom.  It's a joke, even as a multi-environment camo.  It's especially bad in the woods, which is obvious to anyone using the Eyeball, Mark 1, scientific instrument..

The Army looks bad; congressman are justifiably complaining, and there is no research, rhyme, or reason for the ACU, other than a garrison general thought it looked cool and futuristic.  If Obama were really clever, he'd get the military on his side big time by just issuing an execuctive order for Army to adopt Multicam and coyote brown gear.  Period.

Multicam, All Over Brush-D are decent multiterrain patterns.  There are reasons one might want a multiterrain pattern, like one changes environments in a single day, as in Afghanistan.  Everyone likes Multicam.  Plus the research supports it.  

Consider this chart, from the Natick Study:

Link Posted: 10/1/2009 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#9]

That is exactly what I thought

Link Posted: 10/1/2009 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
On page 4 of the same Army Times issue I thought that a SSG had a good idea. His idea was to take satelitte photos from likely battlegrounds i.e. Middle East and Afganistan at the current time and take the colors from those satelitte imagery and designate them onto a camo. pattern. It could not be much worse than the current situation we are in.

That's similar to how Crye came up with Multicam....took pictures of every possible place and tried to come up with colors and fades that best matches the most environments.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is the mythical "All Over Brush":

It's either that, of FROGPAT:

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Ive said it once... well alot, but all say it again.

If army wants great camo, thats already in the system, and gets rid of the "universal camo" crap= Woodland/desert Marpat.
If army wants great camo, but still want it to be "uniquely army", and gets rid of "universal camo" crap= Woodland/desert AOB

Then finally
If army wants great camo, but still wants it to be "uniquely army", and wont get rid of "universal camo" crap= desert AOB

But unfortunately they will go with UCP-D until politics get in the way( again), then they will go Multicam.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#13]
If the army keeps doing studies and the results get out, UCP-D and any of its variants will fail.

All Over Brush looks a little bit light, and that explains its poor showing in Woodland.  A little darker though (i.e., with multicam colors) and it would be nearly perfect.  It closely resembles Rhodesian, which is an EXCELLENT and very workable pattern with universal potential.

I should add I think their urban numbers are skewed desert.  The methodolgy used an urban training facility in Kentucky, but that facility was geraed up to look like an Iraqi town, i.e., sand-colored buildings.  I think this methodology needs some work.  That said, Multicam is good and clearly better tahn UCP and should win out soon, God Willing.

I urge everyone to write their congressmen and write the President.  Public pressure can change this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If the army keeps doing studies and the results get out, UCP-D and any of its variants will fail.

All Over Brush looks a little bit light, and that explains its poor showing in Woodland.  A little darker though (i.e., with multicam colors) and it would be nearly perfect.  It closely resembles Rhodesian, which is an EXCELLENT and very workable pattern with universal potential.

I should add I think their urban numbers are skewed desert.  The methodolgy used an urban training facility in Kentucky, but that facility was geraed up to look like an Iraqi town, i.e., sand-colored buildings.  I think this methodology needs some work.  That said, Multicam is good and clearly better tahn UCP and should win out soon, God Willing.

I urge everyone to write their congressmen and write the President.  Public pressure can change this.

This has already happened. Yet UCP still gets the thumbs up

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In the original test, if i remember correctly, the D-AOB performed only second to Multicam in woodland.

The the 2007 test which the showed the D-AOB doing very bad, it looks like they use a earlier version (desert/urban) which is only tan. the newer version( the on the the Kitteh showed with the woodland, and which won the original trials) has green in it which helps.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd like to see someone do a bunch of swatches of All Over Brush in various color combos to see if it holds up.

All Over Brush looks like a variant of Rhodesian, or even DPM, what with all the swirly elements.

I just did an image search and turned up these:

I would guess the one on the left is Urban AOB and the one on the right is Desert AOB
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd like to see someone do a bunch of swatches of All Over Brush in various color combos to see if it holds up.

All Over Brush looks like a variant of Rhodesian, or even DPM, what with all the swirly elements.

I just did an image search and turned up these:

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/album112/abm.sized.jpg

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/album112/abn.sized.jpg

I would guess the one on the left is Urban AOB and the one on the right is Desert AOB

Yup i was wrong about the urban before. but you are right. Left=urban, Right= older desert, like i said the newer one have green in it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 10/3/2009 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#19]

What patterns are those?

I wonder how they look under thermal or some of the latest versions of night vision.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What patterns are those?

I wonder how they look under thermal or some of the latest versions of night vision.

from the looks, it looks like GAYCU's and woodlands
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Anybody know when this change is supposed to take place? I'm wanting to buy some of my own gear and I don't want to buy a bunch of ACU crap if we're going to be issued something else in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#22]
dude go solid colors. coyote brown can always get spray paint to break up the solid color and paraclete smoke green seems to take tan krylon if need be, im running paraclete smoke green rigs. if you like multi cam or are hedging your bet on it go with coyote brown. smoke green im sure will work. ive layed it out on my multi cam uniforms but coyote im sure will draw less attention from others.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What patterns are those?

I think it's desert AOB, which I've never heard of till this thread and I'm not impressed. It looks like a hunting camo developed by Mossy Oak or somethin. I say AOR 1 and 2, Gammapat or whatever (just someone on this site photoshopping and not actually being tested by the Army correct?), Mirage, and multicam should be the options under serious consideration.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What patterns are those?

ACU and Croatian woodland. Pics from a training exercise this week.

I think change is coming, ziarifleman. UCP I think has not much longer....if there is any justice (just look at its suckitude in that pic I posted)

Link Posted: 10/4/2009 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#25]
What's the D in UCP-D really stand for? I'm thinking "dog-shit" not "Delta," because that's what it looks like they drag UCP through.

Everybody in service I talk to right now says Multicam when you ask them what they want. I haven't heard anyone say "hey, lets take a dump on UCP and wear that."
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Looking through these pictures, I noticed something about ACU.
The overall pattern is okay, but the colors look like they've been overexposed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 6:15:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Looking through these pictures, I noticed something about ACU.
The overall pattern is okay, but the colors look like they've been overexposed.

well it is the same pattern as Marpat/cadpat, just one color less.

anyone heard anymore news on this?
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#28]
no news here,
but in our shop we have been asked to do some Multicam nametapes and US Army tapes
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
no news here,
but in our shop we have been asked to do some Multicam nametapes and US Army tapes

.....I like where this is going.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Whole Battalion will be decked out in head to toe Multicam soon in Afghanistan. So, good times. Unfortunately they're not going to get the uber new and cool (ie expensive) Crye CAGE Chassis.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Whole Battalion will be decked out in head to toe Multicam soon in Afghanistan. So, good times. Unfortunately they're not going to get the uber new and cool (ie expensive) Crye CAGE Chassis.

Will they get combat tactical sneakers, too?

CAGE is just an LBV/plate carrier, right?
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding is the CAGE offers full Level 3A protection and carries SAPI/ESAPI plates.

Tactical sneakers? Sure, why not. Gucci the hell out of the guys if it helps moral. Be nice if the government picked up the tab for some nice stuff since I know a lot of enlisted guys are paying out of pocket for a lot of items lately.
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding is the CAGE offers full Level 3A protection and carries SAPI/ESAPI plates.

Tactical sneakers? Sure, why not. Gucci the hell out of the guys if it helps moral. Be nice if the government picked up the tab for some nice stuff since I know a lot of enlisted guys are paying out of pocket for a lot of items lately.

YES

I wish more highers cared about morale.
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#34]
"Look good feel good" my Father always said.  

Wear UCP-Delta that looks like my dog took a dump on UCP and feel like....well enough said.
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#35]
UCP-Delta: Did Kazakhstan get there first?

The general public “know” Kazakhstan from the comic Borat character of TV and film fame (or infamy, depending on how you look at it). But of course the reality is very different, for one thing, Kazakstan is the birthplace of the famous Kazakh horesmen – more commonly known in the West as the Cossacks.
Now here’s something else they might become famous for – recent photos of Kazakh airborne troops see them sporting a camouflage uniform that bears a rather close resemblance to the US Army’s “UCP-Delta” pattern about to be tested in Afghanistan.

Territorial soldiers from 7 Rifles get to grips with the Kazakh Army's Soviet-era infantry weapons. PHOTO BY CHRIS FLETCHER

The uniforms were seen during Exercise Steppe Eagle, a two-week Partnership for Peace exercise, involving British Territorial Army (reserves) soldiers from 7th Battalion The Rifles (7 RIFLES) and Kazakh airborne troops.
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 3:42:50 AM EDT
[#36]
that kid looks scared as hell firing that RPG.

and its still a shitty camouflage.

-Joe
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
UCP-Delta: Did Kazakhstan get there first?

The general public “know” Kazakhstan from the comic Borat character of TV and film fame (or infamy, depending on how you look at it). But of course the reality is very different, for one thing, Kazakstan is the birthplace of the famous Kazakh horesmen – more commonly known in the West as the Cossacks.
Now here’s something else they might become famous for – recent photos of Kazakh airborne troops see them sporting a camouflage uniform that bears a rather close resemblance to the US Army’s “UCP-Delta” pattern about to be tested in Afghanistan.
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=1325&pictureid=16756
Territorial soldiers from 7 Rifles get to grips with the Kazakh Army's Soviet-era infantry weapons. PHOTO BY CHRIS FLETCHER

The uniforms were seen during Exercise Steppe Eagle, a two-week Partnership for Peace exercise, involving British Territorial Army (reserves) soldiers from 7th Battalion The Rifles (7 RIFLES) and Kazakh airborne troops.

Is the guy on the right wearing a PASGT vest?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top