Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2007 5:53:55 PM EDT
I asked this question a while ago with no response.  Does anyone use the IDF vests for your mags and equipment.  Looks like it might be a decent rig especially the one that has the detachable backpack on it.  Pro and Cons of this rig?  

Any input would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Which one?  I don't know very much about IDF gear, but I have seen a couple different versions of vests.  They seem fine, but the one I'm thinking of doesn't have molle straps/suspenders, so you lose some cpability there, and it is pretty expensive.  If I was going to pay that much, I would get seomthing else.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I used mine when I was in the IDF.  I was issued an Ephod that my unit's armorer had modified with reinforced stitching and some additional/removed pouches.  It worked well and held up when the bullets started flying.  Some of the pouches are made with a cheap material and the main pack sucks.  I only used it for direction action operations.  Overnight patrols and ambushes, I used a medium assault pack and the built in pack would be crushed between me and the assault pack.  

The newer modular American vests are what I would choose to go back to war with.  The Ephod is a great rig, but it is what it is and has since been replaced in the IDF by the Recon vest and now, a modular integrated armor/carrier rig.  I would much rather have the newer integrated rig because layered straps over body armor + a pack is the suck.

If you plan to use the rig as a range kit, it will suit you fine.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply's.

Here is a link to ebay where someone is selling the same one that I am looking at.

IDF Vest on ebay

Any suggestions on something better?
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 2:29:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Very good vests, holds 12+ AR Mags, had mine altered to suit, put some straps on to lower the front, extra pouches etc, great out of the box anyway.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I used mine when I was in the IDF.  I was issued an Ephod that my unit's armorer had modified with reinforced stitching and some additional/removed pouches.  It worked well and held up when the bullets started flying.  Some of the pouches are made with a cheap material and the main pack sucks.  I only used it for direction action operations.  Overnight patrols and ambushes, I used a medium assault pack and the built in pack would be crushed between me and the assault pack.  

The newer modular American vests are what I would choose to go back to war with.  The Ephod is a great rig, but it is what it is and has since been replaced in the IDF by the Recon vest and now, a modular integrated armor/carrier rig.  I would much rather have the newer integrated rig because layered straps over body armor + a pack is the suck.

The Ephod is still in use with Jobniks and reservists.

The only issue is the way it stays together...the alligators in the front aren't so hot, probably want to replace them with Fastex or something.

It seems to be a pretty comfortable rig, with padding between the mag pouches and the body, so it's rather nice. Pretty adjustable too.

The pouches are nice, big enough to hold mags clamped together.

The padding though, I can see what you mean about it being a bitch with armor. The padding makes it kind of puffy. The guys I was with didn't care though because they didn't get real armor, just the flak jackets.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are never really planning on getting body armor, it would be a pretty good vest but remember that you won't be able to customize it.  If you plan on getting armor, get some sort of armor carrier, plate carrier or chest rig.  It will suit you a lot better.  I was eying those IDF vests myself but I was intent on putting body armor in my vest so decided against them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only issue is the way it stays together...the alligators in the front aren't so hot, probably want to replace them with Fastex or something.

It seems to be a pretty comfortable rig, with padding between the mag pouches and the body, so it's rather nice. Pretty adjustable too.

The padding though, I can see what you mean about it being a bitch with armor. The padding makes it kind of puffy. The guys I was with didn't care though because they didn't get real armor, just the flak jackets.

Different body armor configs are issued to different units.  It depends on the type of mission your particular unit performs.  We were a Quick Reaction Force and spent most of our time kicking in doors and close urban fighting.  Therefore, we were issued seperate level IV vests.  They closed on the sides with velcro and had additional elastic/velcro straps that wrapped around from the sides and secured across the belly The vests were made of level IIIA material and held front/back IC/W level III-IV rifle plates.  The vests also had a small ballistic collar that I hated because it would get in the way when I went prone.  Some of the guys had OD body armor and some had black.  

We wore our Ephods over this.  Our unit armorer modified all our Ephods by replacing the elephant clip closures with fastex buckles and removing the foam padding from the body to provide a more streamlined fit.  The knife pouch under the buttpack was/is useless, so it was removed as well.  All stitching was reinforced at load-bearing points.  The padded compass strap was removed and replaced with a larger one for storing an ACOG or NODs.  The plastic D rings on the straps were replaced with metal ones.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a local company that sells these (when the guy deployed, then was KIA), and have sold them for the past few years.

Overall, they are well-built, and functional.

The A-10/Ephod vest is more of an LBE setup, whereas the vest you link to is much more enclosed.  The Recon Vest (as you linked) will carry more stuff than you realistically should. :)

The ones I sell don't have the detachable backpack, but they collapse flat in case you're wearing a small assault pack or something.

My supplier indicated they are no longer making the Ephod, since the transition to the Recon and the armored vests.

TimW
Phoenix
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Different body armor configs are issued to different units.  It depends on the type of mission your particular unit performs.  We were a Quick Reaction Force and spent most of our time kicking in doors and close urban fighting.  Therefore, we were issued seperate level IV vests.  They closed on the sides with velcro and had additional elastic/velcro straps that wrapped around from the sides and secured across the belly The vests were made of level IIIA material and held front/back IC/W level III-IV rifle plates.  The vests also had a small ballistic collar that I hated because it would get in the way when I went prone.  Some of the guys had OD body armor and some had black.  

We wore our Ephods over this.  Our unit armorer modified all our Ephods by replacing the elephant clip closures with fastex buckles and removing the foam padding from the body to provide a more streamlined fit.  The knife pouch under the buttpack was/is useless, so it was removed as well.  All stitching was reinforced at load-bearing points.  The padded compass strap was removed and replaced with a larger one for storing an ACOG or NODs.  The plastic D rings on the straps were replaced with metal ones.  

Wow, you guys got nice stuff, must have been rather high speed.

Am I to assume that you didn't get dicked with the standard hardboiled eggs and white bread 2x a day, every day?

Thanks for your service brother.

My enlistment date is December. I don't expect to get stud gear like that though.

If you've been recently to Nachshoanim you've probably met some of my friends, not sure how long ago you were in though?

Link Posted: 3/2/2007 4:34:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Am I to assume that you didn't get dicked with the standard hardboiled eggs and white bread 2x a day, every day?

My enlistment date is December. I don't expect to get stud gear like that though.

If you've been recently to Nachshoanim you've probably met some of my friends, not sure how long ago you were in though?

Shalom and thank you for your service as well!

I served in Sayeret Golani in the northern command.  Our primary AO was the Golan Heights (which we called Bandit Country) and the northern towns of the West Bank.  I made Aliyah in 1998.  I have since moved back to the states.  The IDF loves its Sayerets and we got a lot of money for gucci kit.  Whether you are in a high speed unit, line company, or rear echelon, you will be performing a very honorable and valuable service to your people.  Everybody and every job in the IDF is important to keeping Israel safe!  I'm assuming that you are an American volunteer?  That, in and of itself, is very respectable and you will be warmly welcomed by the Israelis.  They love America and Americans.

As for your gear; I can't say what you will be issued.  The HSLD gear I had back then is probably being issued to line troops today.  I would imagine that you will probably be issued a recon vest to wear over body armor.  They were just starting to issue recon vests to my unit as I was leaving  I wish I had been issued one of those, because they seam to be pretty cool.  There is a new rig being issued that is all integrated like US IBAs.  I'm sure it is only being given to the high speed guys, but I could be wrong.  

Either way; stay safe.  I'm sure you will make us all proud.
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shalom and thank you for your service as well!

I served in Sayeret Golani in the northern command.  Our primary AO was the Golan Heights (which we called Bandit Country) and the northern towns of the West Bank.  I made Aliyah in 1998.  I have since moved back to the states.  The IDF loves its Sayerets and we got a lot of money for gucci kit.  Whether you are in a high speed unit, line company, or rear echelon, you will be performing a very honorable and valuable service to your people.  Everybody and every job in the IDF is important to keeping Israel safe!  I'm assuming that you are an American volunteer?  That, in and of itself, is very respectable and you will be warmly welcomed by the Israelis.  They love America and Americans.

As for your gear; I can't say what you will be issued.  The HSLD gear I had back then is probably being issued to line troops today.  I would imagine that you will probably be issued a recon vest to wear over body armor.  They were just starting to issue recon vests to my unit as I was leaving  I wish I had been issued one of those, because they seam to be pretty cool.  There is a new rig being issued that is all integrated like US IBAs.  I'm sure it is only being given to the high speed guys, but I could be wrong.  

Either way; stay safe.  I'm sure you will make us all proud.

Toda achi. :)

A buddy of mine was telling me about the training alone in Sayarot...absolutely incredible. If you're ever in NY or Philadelphia, you've got some drinks with your name on 'em.
Link Posted: 3/6/2007 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I got this IDF vest about 15 years ago and it's still one of my favorite rigs.  The back pouch is perfect for a 2qt. canteen.  When I started sewing, it was one of the first things I fixed up.  I put some surface mounted buckles on the canteen pouches, sewed a sternum strap on it and replaced the crap metal buckles in the front, which had broke a few years before with some side release buckles.  This model without the upper back pouch works great with body armor.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top