Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2017 6:07:06 PM EDT
I just bought the 870 Tactical with the $60 Remington rebate, and I want to install a +2 magazine extension.

How did you remove your magazine dimples in the Remington 870?

I've heard that filing/dremeling the dimples off is harmful to the shotgun, but that would be much easier and cheaper than buying the dimple tool.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Drill them out and clean up with a round file.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
This

Smooth holes then cold blue
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
On one shotgun we used a pair of vise grips and pushed/squeezed the dimple in enough to get it out of the way. The second shotgun we ended up filing  the dimple and blueing the bare metal. Either way, the spring comes out at you when you remove the endcap.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a piece of 1" round stock, securely clamped in a good vise... ball peen hammer, and "dolly" the dimples out with light taps
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the XS Sight Systems swage tool.

Start by Sliding the fore-end to the rear, Remove the mag cap,barrel, mag cap retainer, spring and follower.
Now you are ready to remove the dimples.

First I take a 1 inch steel scope ring and clamp it around the magazine tube directly over the dimples to keep the magazine tube from stretching. Grease the inside of the tube and od of the swage with wheel bearing grease.

Grasp the magazine tube with your hand just under the scope ring, place the swage in the mouth of the tube, lightly tap the swage into the magazine tube up to the shoulder with a soft face hammer. About a half a dozen taps should do it. Remove the scope ring, take a .375 brass punch and a small hammer lightly peen where the dimples used to be to set them in place. The swage should slide out easily with a little tug. Place your finger in the tube a feel to make sure the dimples are gone, if not place the swage back in and peen them a little more. This may take a couple of tries get the dimples pressed flat.

Once they are gone clean the grease out and check the tube with a magazine follower to make sure it slide smoothly through. Use some copper remover to clean the brass punch marks from the od of the tube. Replace the barrel, follower,spring and extension.
It took about 10 minutes from start to finish.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This

What product do you use for cold blueing?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Brownell's Oxpho-Blue is number one in my book!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
just like everyone else stated just drill them out and take a file to smooth the holes out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use the XS Sight Systems swage tool.

Start by Sliding the fore-end to the rear, Remove the mag cap,barrel, mag cap retainer, spring and follower.
Now you are ready to remove the dimples.

First I take a 1 inch steel scope ring and clamp it around the magazine tube directly over the dimples to keep the magazine tube from stretching. Grease the inside of the tube and od of the swage with wheel bearing grease.

Grasp the magazine tube with your hand just under the scope ring, place the swage in the mouth of the tube, lightly tap the swage into the magazine tube up to the shoulder with a soft face hammer. About a half a dozen taps should do it. Remove the scope ring, take a .375 brass punch and a small hammer lightly peen where the dimples used to be to set them in place. The swage should slide out easily with a little tug. Place your finger in the tube a feel to make sure the dimples are gone, if not place the swage back in and peen them a little more. This may take a couple of tries get the dimples pressed flat.

Once they are gone clean the grease out and check the tube with a magazine follower to make sure it slide smoothly through. Use some copper remover to clean the brass punch marks from the od of the tube. Replace the barrel, follower,spring and extension.
It took about 10 minutes from start to finish.
View Quote
This is a good plan. This the XS tool to use. If you are handy with a lathe you can make one.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What product do you use for cold blueing?
View Quote
Brownells
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:38:01 AM EDT
[#12]
You can press them out using special tool or just drill them out: http://www.rem870.com/2016/04/25/removing-dimples-in-magazine-tube-of-remington-870/
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Miine is an 11-87.

I drilled out one side and used a punch (with the tube on a board) through the drilled out hole to round out that dimple on the other side.

I figured one hole was necessary, but I could get around drilling two holes into the mag. tube.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Some people have used the right size socket from a socket set as a swaging tool.
This is greased up then tapped and pressed into the magazine tube to "iron out" the dimples.
Take care not to deform the tube.

After swaging, use abrasive cloth on a large dowel to further smooth the area.
Test carefully with a magazine follower to be CERTAIN the dimples won't catch either the shells or follower.

For touch up, I use Brownell's Dicrophan T4.
This colors the steel BLACK not blue and matches the finish better.  It also seems to be more durable then most other cold blues and tends not to puddle after a application or two.

Trick with cold blue is thorough degreasing.
I recommend using Acetone, which leaves no residue like even lacquer thinner will, followed with a flush with 90% or denatured alcohol.
Warm with a hair dryer to drive out moisture in the steel then apply the bluing while warm.
Don't heat it hot, that drys the bluing too fast and does a substandard job....just warm with a hair dryer.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Nobody linked the sticky at the top?

Clicky
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nobody linked the sticky at the top?

Clicky
View Quote
I saw that, thank you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I drill but I hear the socket works as well
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I've used the socket method on seven mag tubes.

Seemed like a better idea than drilling or grinding.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Poorly, with a dremel, in my youth.

I'm older and wiser now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I use a piece of 1" round stock, securely clamped in a good vise... ball peen hammer, and "dolly" the dimples out with light taps
View Quote
I did this with 3/8" round stock and vice grips. I pulled the dimple as flat as possible and then smoothed it with a Dremel drum sander.  No hole.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I drilled mine out. The next time I will use the tap and file method to eliminate the holes

It's just a personal preference. The holes don't cause any problems.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

Done two this way. Easy and straightforward process.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I tried the socket but still had residual dimples, then ground those off with a dremel.  Next one I did I milled them out.  Took 5 minutes and was very clean.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Update!

I drilled the dimples out with a 1/4" drill and dremeled the inside of the tube for a smooth finish.

Cleaned with acetone and cold blued.

Works great!  Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Too easy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Update!

I drilled the dimples out with a 1/4" drill and dremeled the inside of the tube for a smooth finish.

Cleaned with acetone and cold blued.

Works great!  Thanks everyone!
View Quote
If anybody asks about the holes just tell them that's a special SOCOM requested mod in order to allow water to drain quickly from the mag tube during amphibious ops.

Congratulations, you just made it to Tier1
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If anybody asks about the holes just tell them that's a special SOCOM requested mod in order to allow water to drain quickly from the mag tube during amphibious ops.

Congratulations, you just made it to Tier1
View Quote
I'm definitely stealing that story
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Some people have used the right size socket from a socket set as a swaging tool.
This is greased up then tapped and pressed into the magazine tube to "iron out" the dimples.
Take care not to deform the tube.

After swaging, use abrasive cloth on a large dowel to further smooth the area.
Test carefully with a magazine follower to be CERTAIN the dimples won't catch either the shells or follower.

For touch up, I use Brownell's Dicrophan T4.
This colors the steel BLACK not blue and matches the finish better.  It also seems to be more durable then most other cold blues and tends not to puddle after a application or two.

Trick with cold blue is thorough degreasing.
I recommend using Acetone, which leaves no residue like even lacquer thinner will, followed with a flush with 90% or denatured alcohol.
Warm with a hair dryer to drive out moisture in the steel then apply the bluing while warm.
Don't heat it hot, that drys the bluing too fast and does a substandard job....just warm with a hair dryer.
View Quote
This is what I did, used an extended socket and hammer can't tell they were ever there and no holes to worry about potential rust.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Dremel and a sanding drum. Takes less than 5 minutes, leaving no holes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Cautionary tale...
http://shortbarrelshepherd.com/socket-to-me-or-how-to-remove-a-stuck-socket-from-a-remington-870-magazine-tube/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top