Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2017 1:15:35 PM EDT
I am currently sending in an older 870 Wingmaster from the 60s or 70s into Wilson Combat for their "Remington Steal" package. I am going for the full package deal. Convert the gun to 3", Armor Tuff, and install Track Lock sights among other things. I have a newer Mossberg 3" Magnum 18" length barrel that I have been keeping on the gun for the last few years. I was curious as to whether or not I should keep the Mossberg barrel on it for the refinishing and the new sights, or is there any reason that I should not send in the older 26/28" barrel? I thought that if I just repurpose the 18" barrel to another future gun, then I can just have them convert the old long barrel without a rib to 18" and magnum length chamber, that I would get more use out of it.

Is there any reason why I should choose one over the other? I feel like maybe the new barrel might be made of improved steel. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in a similar situation and I plan to send the old barrel and keep the newer barrel, even though the newer barrel will be the main one I use.

I'm only parkerizing, so I don't see the point in re-parkerizing a good barrel, and it's nice to have a longer barrel around in case I need to hunt with it some time.

Other than refinishing, I'm not sure they do anything to the barrel, unless you ask them to cut it or install sights.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I plan on getting the Armor Tuff and Track Lock sights, so the investment to me is more permanent. I called them earlier and they told me they convert barrel to 3" (I'm assuming by reaming). When you get yours done, please share your experience. I will be sending mine in by this weekend with one or barrel or another.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top