Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2017 7:58:33 PM EDT
You guys that have newer 870 express tacticals, are the finishes still a rust magnet? Or are they decent now?

I have been itching for an 18.5" 590A1 but I see they have a rebate on the 870 tactical making them about $100 less...
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one 4 yrs old that has not been nearly as much of a rust magnet as the old 870 shotguns I was issued in the 80's. The high polish blue just sucked about rust.  There is an 870 marine model that is nickle plated highly rust resistant and you could always cerakote one. I tend to prefer the one with the 5 shot tube over the 8 shot tactical ones just because it handles faster and is way less money.  Might look at some of the tactical semi auto guns before you decide for sure I think FN makes one and Benelli etc.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, I have a parkerized 870P bought new in 2012. The finish has proved extremely durable and resistant to rust. There have been a couple of times where I've discovered an extremely slight film of rust that took all of 30 seconds to fix with very fine steel wool. But, overall - very happy with the finish.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FWIW, I have a parkerized 870P bought new in 2012. The finish has proved extremely durable and resistant to rust. There have been a couple of times where I've discovered an extremely slight film of rust that took all of 30 seconds to fix with very fine steel wool. But, overall - very happy with the finish.
View Quote
The Police models have better QC as well as better build quality. The Expresses are rust buckets.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The Express guns have a bead blasted blue finish.
I've found that a good method to reduce or eliminate rust is to treat the gun the way Remington recommended for the parkerized Police guns:

Full strip the gun including the magazine tube.
Put the parts on a pad of foil or plastic wrap and spray everything, inside and out (except wood) dripping wet with something like CLP Breakfree.

Give it 20 minutes to dissolve and flush off the factory lube, wipe dry and put in use.
The CLP will remove the storage goop and soak into the rough blued surface.
Every time you use it, apply a little more CLP.
I kept a soft clean toothbrush with a few drops of CLP to "scrub" the metal to reapply a coat of CLP.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer Mossbergs but if I wanted an 870 right now I would go to summitgunbroker and buy a used one for 265, then buy the $75 dollar set of police wood from the EE
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I use Shooter's Choice Rust Prevent and have no problems at all.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#7]
They are indeed rust buckets. Hell They are rusting on the display rack inside the store.
Few years ago I sold a marine magnum, when I opened the box it was rusted worse than
an old ship anchor. Had one returned just yesterday because of rust inside barrel, He bought
it the day before.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Rusted weapons is a direct result of neglect.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I tend to agree, just depends on who's neglect....the maker that failed to properly prep for storage and shipping or the owner that failed to properly clean and preserve.
My parked 870P does not rust.
My bead blued 870 with laminated stock does not rust because I clean and oil it after use.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Never hunted in salt marshes huh?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have actually, been bird hunting since I was 5. Well, back then I was carrying a Daisy.

Not everything can be blamed on the manufacturer. Common sense states the a salt marsh is going to be a damn harsh environment. A gun either needs a better coating or you simply need to understand that it WILL corrode. No other cheap firearm finish, like parkerizing, from any other manufacturer will go any better.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a handful of different shotguns.  My 870 will get rusty just sitting in the safe.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a handful of different shotguns.  My 870 will get rusty just sitting in the safe.  
View Quote
Try Corrosion X

I haven't lubed the exterior of my 870p in about a year. It sits in the bedroom, not a single speck of rust anywhere
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have actually, been bird hunting since I was 5. Well, back then I was carrying a Daisy.

Not everything can be blamed on the manufacturer. Common sense states the a salt marsh is going to be a damn harsh environment. A gun either needs a better coating or you simply need to understand that it WILL corrode. No other cheap firearm finish, like parkerizing, from any other manufacturer will go any better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all parkerizing is created equal
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one of the turkey edition 870 Express'. Haven't had any rust issues but it does not like to extract light loads. Buckshot, turkey loads and pheasant loads cycle fine but a dove/skeet load requires lots of effort or slamming the butt stock on the ground to cycle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Express models often have rougher chambers and can benefit from a chamber polish job.
Once polished they usually work with anything.

The problem with the slightly rough chamber is when using cheap shells with steel or aluminum shell heads and low brass shells.
These tend to stick to the chamber walls.
A polish smooths up the chamber and the shells no longer stick enough to cause extraction problems.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah the factory finish sucks, get it refinished and it'll be fine though. 
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got my 2nd 870 which is just about a year old. Sits by my bedside every night and has no blemishes at all.

The first one is 4 years old (maybe 5?) and the only issue I had was when I went shooting in the snow and left it in my truck for 2 days afterwords. Once cleaned up, spots never came back.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#19]
The Express 870's has matte blue which you can turn orange just by looking at it hard...

The Police Magnums & Special Purpose Magnums had factory Parkerizing which is VERY weather resistant - Just give them a good soak prior to taking them out and they hold up very well...
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Express models often have rougher chambers and can benefit from a chamber polish job.
Once polished they usually work with anything.

The problem with the slightly rough chamber is when using cheap shells with steel or aluminum shell heads and low brass shells.
These tend to stick to the chamber walls.
A polish smooths up the chamber and the shells no longer stick enough to cause extraction problems.
View Quote
Oh I have it shined up to a mirror finish. It still hangs up, just not as bad as it used to.

I have a Volquartsen extractor on the way. If that doesn't work, I don't know... new barrel?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top