Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/1/2017 7:28:27 PM EDT
Moderators, if this is a dupe thread please delete.

It seems Big Green has gotten into the game with the non-NFA 14" barreled "firearms".

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-tac-14

MSRP is about the same as a regular 870.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
From the Shockwave web-site

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=3536
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Can we remove the stock and attach them under a rifle?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
That'd make it a SBS, because the rifle's stock counts too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I like that the receiver is steel compared to the Mossberg, and I like the magpul forearm as well. I just think they should have added the extra mag. tube length to meet the muzzle it would look better. I like the Mossberg is sexier because of the magazine tube being done better. Only my opinion. Also the extra cost to very little benefit as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep subscribing to these Remington shockwave threads I told myself no more guns for a while until my reloading setup is done
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like that the receiver is steel compared to the Mossberg, and I like the magpul forearm as well. I just think they should have added the extra mag. tube length to meet the muzzle it would look better. I like the Mossberg is sexier because of the magazine tube being done better. Only my opinion. Also the extra cost to very little benefit as well.
View Quote
I see your point, but a Wilson Combat +1 extension makes the mag tub the same length as the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Had they done that, it would be their fourth different length of mag tube offered on the 870. That's a bit much, even for Big Green.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I see your point, but a Wilson Combat +1 extension makes the mag tub the same length as the barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Very true I do like the looks of the plus 1 adapter as well.

Quoted:
Had they done that, it would be their fourth different length of mag tube offered on the 870. That's a bit much, even for Big Green.
I get that to as Mossberg has been making this 14 inch kit for years and selling them a lot. Remington has not, but they do have decent options from the factory. Well said
Also it appears the price is very competitive with the Mossberg.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#9]
The Mossberg looks much better then this piece of Sh**. Remington can't even put a mag tube on there that's even with the barrel. Why?  Looks better and gives one more round.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I might get one.  Something that small could be stashed easily even in my little Lexus.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Mossberg looks much better then this piece of Sh**. Remington can't even put a mag tube on there that's even with the barrel. Why?  Looks better and gives one more round.
View Quote
so you've never seen a 14" Remington before? The mag tube ends where the barrel band does. You can add a +1 to make it aesthetically pleasing to you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's a standard 870 receiver and mag tube. Same thing they've been making for the last 66 years. Not sure how that makes it a turd. As has been said before, add a +1 extension and the mag tube and barrel are equal length.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#13]
The Magpul fore end would have to go.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#14]
What I want it the plug they have used in the shockwave grip. I used a wine bottle cork and and sharpie to make it black it was free this way. If there is a real plug easy to pop in Might be gtg to get for the Mossberg. It sure looks like in the Remington picture above there is a plug in the grip.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I think I prefer the Mossberg, but if the shop was out, I think I would just go ahead and get a TAC-14 if it were available.  I would be like, eh close enough.
I wonder if someone will come out with a folding grip to attach to the Magpul fore end?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What I want it the plug they have used in the shockwave grip. I used a wine bottle cork and and sharpie to make it black. Free If there is a real plug easy to pop in Might be gtg to get for the Mossberg. It sure looks like in the Remington picture above there is a plug in the grip.
View Quote
I'd just contact Shockwave customer service directly and see what they can do for you. I bet they would send you one for free.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:24:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm leaning towards the Remington just because I have an 870 already so the parts commonality is a plus for me. I'll definitely add a plus 1 extension though but I see why Remington did the mag tube like they did.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'd just contact Shockwave customer service directly and see what they can do for you. I bet they would send you one for free.
View Quote
Yea I might see it looks like a simple slotted pop in grip plug.
Sova keep us posted if you get the Remington it would be neat to see some in hand pictures.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yea I might see it looks like a simple slotted pop in grip plug.
Sova keep us posted if you get the Remington it would be neat to see some in hand pictures.
View Quote
I looked in two shops today and didn't see the tac 14 and one had sold out of the mossbergs. I guess they will be a while yet getting them to the shelves.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Not the factory new product, I cut the barrel myself but you get the idea about 2 years ago when the Raptor grip was new

Wilson Combat +1
Aluminum Red High Visibility Magazine Follower
Upgraded magazine spring
Enlarged cross bolt safety
Surefire light forend
Mesa Tactical 8 shot side saddle
Cut the barrel, cold blued the end, drilled and tap for bead and tritium night sight
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1
Agreed, makes the Mossie look so much better.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy77/tjk45rocket/DSC00353.jpg

Not the factory new product, I cut the barrel myself but you get the idea about 2 years ago when the Raptor grip was new

Wilson Combat +1
Aluminum Red High Visibility Magazine Follower
Upgraded magazine spring
Enlarged cross bolt safety
Surefire light forend
Mesa Tactical 8 shot side saddle
Cut the barrel, cold blued the end, drilled and tap for bead and tritium night sight
View Quote
Nice work looks good.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hmmm? - What happens if you under mount it to an AR "pistol" with an arm brace?  Not a stock?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been looking at this new Remington with enthusiasm.  

Is it legal to add an arm brace? which would not make it a shotgun or a handgun per sey would it?  As long as it doesn't go less than 26" correct?  

AND IF so, could one make the barrel even shorter (e.g. even with the mag tube with said arm brace as long as it was not shorter than 26"?

Imagine this with an SB brace on it - (airsoft pic  shown for concept only) sans the fwd  vertical grip
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#26]
cherenkov,  You should check out the Other Firearms at http://www.blackacestactical.com/home

I hope that what they have to offer, would answer your question about Short Barrels and Sig-Brace are concerned on Other Firearms.

Good Luck with you Project
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks - I like the detachable mag style
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been debating this for my Mossberg. I'd love to embrace it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#29]
When are the Tac14's supposed to hit the
streets? I asked them in Atlanta, but I can't
remember what they said.

John
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if you put it on an AR pistol with arm brace?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#31]
The only thing I don't like, and have never liked is the safety. The safety on the Mossberg  is SO much better.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:39:34 AM EDT
[#32]
I went with a Remington 870 as my
first shotgun many years ago, so
I have never bought anything else.

Being a lefty, I have always added
LH button safeties.

But I found this a few weeks ago.

I now have 4 of them.

John

S2 Remington AR style safety

Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#33]
When is the TAC 14 due to be released?

Can't order from Remington  Is anyone taking pre orders yet?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Question... is the receiver marked in any way to stand out from a "vanilla" 870?
I'd like to pick one up, but change the fore end out with an old police wood "corn cob" piece and ALSO cut down a matching wood stock to "Tac 14" dimensions....

...but need a way of proving it actually is a legal "Tac 14" and NOT a sawed off 870 made in my basement!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Question... is the receiver marked in any way to stand out from a "vanilla" 870?
I'd like to pick one up, but change the fore end out with an old police wood "corn cob" piece and ALSO cut down a matching wood stock to "Tac 14" dimensions....

...but need a way of proving it actually is a legal "Tac 14" and NOT a sawed off 870 made in my basement!
View Quote
I like this!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#36]
You just need to keep the receipt and box. The serial number is the only way they can confirm if it was ever a shotgun or an other(pgo). Simple the ood options you mention has been done under the laws guidelines. go ahead and do it.   Many have with the Mossberg already.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I like this!
View Quote
I think there has been much discussion that you can start and create a "smooth-bore firearm" (Shockwave) starting with a pistol grip shotgun - That is a factory made 870 that never had a stock on it - If it never had a stock n it, it never was a "shotgun" with a stock that has been altered (technically).

The only way anyone would likely know is by serial numbers and factory records - But I wouldn't want to roll the dice on just any used  pistol gripped 870 unless it was truly NIB;

It certainly opens up a market opportunity for Remington or other 870 Copies to sell virgin receivers or pistol grip only versions- If you can get a Hawk clone receiver and some cheap express 870  and cut the barrel get it to "smooth-bore firearm" specs - seems like a cottage industry.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Remington sells this version of a pistol grip shotgun.  It's what I used to create my Remington version.  This is a stock photo, not my version.  I have the original photos and serial number information shoud I ever be asked about it's legality.  I bought this from CDNN about two years ago.

Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone know when these are hitting the shelves?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes please, Does anybody have an anticipated release date?

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks like Remington hasn't officially stated a date. Even on their listing of the TAC14. Per this listing it's stated as unavailable.
TAC14

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#42]
It would be nice with a MCS fore end.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The only thing I don't like, and have never liked is the safety. The safety on the Mossberg  is SO much better.
View Quote
On a standard stock or this raptor/bird's head grip yes. On any of the pistol grip folding stock styles no, because you have to remove your hand from the grip to manipulate it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Looks like Remington hasn't officially stated a date. Even on their listing of the TAC14. Per this listing it's stated as unavailable.
TAC14

View Quote
With the news of Remington going bankrupt I wonder if this has stalled or if it has been completely shelved. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#45]
you can always build your own. the pistol grip 870 is really reasonable. Of course you'll want to upgrade the trigger group.
pistol grip 870
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
you can always build your own. the pistol grip 870 is really reasonable. Of course you'll want to upgrade the trigger group.
pistol grip 870
View Quote
Just ordered the PGO tactical version.

Its more effort, but not that much to cut it down and re affix a bead and base.

Also thinking of going the route of Mesa tactical high mount and pistol brace
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone know of a walnut shockwave style birds head grip for an 870?

While looking for what others have done came across this real pretty one - with a longer grip and 14" might look nice.

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anyone know of a walnut shockwave style birds head grip for an 870?

While looking for what others have done came across this real pretty one - with a longer grip and 14" might look nice.

http://files.harrispublications.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2017/05/Wilson-Witness-Protection-870-5-682x383.1495074778.jpg
View Quote
I love wood furniture, I bet Remington would sell a ton of those.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#49]
If Remington can find some investors to keep afloat or outsource the manufacture for a smaller piece of the pie. Then it could still happen. It's hard to tell. I truly hope Remington can keep themselves afloat and produce this and other fine guns in the future.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If Remington can find some investors to keep afloat or outsource the manufacture for a smaller piece of the pie. Then it could still happen. It's hard to tell. I truly hope Remington can keep themselves afloat and produce this and other fine guns in the future.  Time will tell.
View Quote
I'm having a hard time finding articles about their financial problems. can anyone share?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top