Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2017 11:11:41 AM EDT
Here's the deal. I currently have a Benelli Tactical Supernova with 18.5" barrel, pistol grip and mesa 6 round saddle.
I like the gun but not sure about the pistol grip. It also seems heavier (perceived?) than some others I've shot. The stock is also 14.5" LOP which is too long for a tactical shotgun IMO.

I have two choices.

1. Sell this for $450 (already have a buyer) and put that $$ into something more mainstream with better selection of parts like an 870/500/590/?? pump or ?? semi-auto.
2. Upgrade the Benelli with an Urbino 12.5: LOP stock ($125), +2 extension ($50).

What would you do if keeping this and buying another were not an option?
If buying something else, what would you buy and why?

Thank You
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Weatherby SA-459

Then take the stock it comes with and mod it to your length of pull

Will need rubber recoil pad to make an end piece
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#3]
How high speed are you looking?

I have the fixed 6-shot 870 for like $320 at Cabelas.  I have the cool guy ATACS camo 870 with the picatinny rail and ghost ring sights on top that was probably $450ish when I bought it 6 years ago.  You could get a simple Winchester SXP for $250 these days.  Or you could go full out and get a Benelli M4 for $1700
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out Aiptactical

I bought mines from him and it has been very reliable.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#5]
VEPR SBS or SAIGA SBS - Evolutionz EVLBLKWPN or other reliable shop

Benelli M4 SBS

KSG

870 SBS
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Most anything but a new Remington 870. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a fan of pistol grips and not a fan of plastic stocks. Get a tried and true Remington 870.

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Low side- Remington 870 or Mossberg 590, High side- Benelli m4 or maybe Beretta 1301.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are looking to get another gun:

1. Find an older 870 on Gunbroker for a good price and send it to Wilson to have it re-worked and customized.

2. Buy a Beretta 1301

It would be cheaper to modify your existing shotgun.
View Quote
I'd agree with this advice whole heartedly. If you do choose option 2, be sure to pick up a aridus industries shell latch cover. Great shotgun. It eats anything and is easy to run.

shell latch cover
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#10]
590 with youth stock.

I'd go 20" w/ 8 shot tube.

The heavy barrel and tube help the recoil of high power loads and poor fit of the short stock.

Ghost ring sights, or tritium bead, and a qd RMR.

Love mine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#11]
mossberg and remington are going to get you the biggest aftermarket.
I personally prefer pumps, and of the pumps i prefer 870s for the controls setup.
I havent handled many of the new Remington 870s since Freedom Group took over but Id still consider them.
Just ordered a new 870 police magnum but those are still at least twice as much as an express tactical
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#12]
You have to decide pump or semi.  If pump get an old 870 police magnum or a moss berg 590a1.  If semi you are only limited by budget.  If you have money to burn get a Benelli m4, if you don't get a used Benelli M1 or a Beretta 1301 Tactical.  You really can not go wrong with any of those.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Summit has used 870Ps I think.

Edit to add link: http://summitgunbroker.com/rem--870p.html
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the great info guys. Time to make a decision.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, so here's what I ended up doing.

I put an Urbino tactical stock (2" shorter stock), +2 extension and flashlight on the Benelli Supernova. I never would have gotten my $$ out of the Benelli so decided to keep it.

I also bought one of the older Remington 870 Police trade in's with 18" barrel from Summit. Which leads me to my next question:

Should I add an magazine extension or go the SBS route?

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Great choice. In regard to setting that 870 up....everything is a compromise. How do you intend to use it? stationary "get off my lawn" role, then the longer barrel and +2 extension is a nice setup.

I prefer the SBS with a +1 extension. Most remington short barrels (14") have a modified choke, so I don't see huge differences in patterns with traditional buckshot. However, it will open up flight control loads a bit earlier because the modified choke slows the shot cup down a bit and lets the buckshot fly free of the wad a bit sooner. Not terribly so, but when you pattern it, it's worth noting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Great choice. In regard to setting that 870 up....everything is a compromise. How do you intend to use it? stationary "get off my lawn" role, then the longer barrel and +2 extension is a nice setup.

I prefer the SBS with a +1 extension. Most remington short barrels (14") have a modified choke, so I don't see huge differences in patterns with traditional buckshot. However, it will open up flight control loads a bit earlier because the modified choke slows the shot cup down a bit and lets the buckshot fly free of the wad a bit sooner. Not terribly so, but when you pattern it, it's worth noting.
View Quote
Well given that I will have a full length Supernova and Mossberg 500, I think this one should be built as a SBS. Obviously this would have a cylinder choke unless I decide to have the barrel modded to accept chokes. Given that we now have tight patterning Federal FCW rounds I am not leaning towards installing chokes on this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Sure if you're just going to chop it I wouldn't bother with chokes. I'm really happy with the 14" remington barrel with XS sights. Can be bought for around $175 and they really perform well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sure if you're just going to chop it I wouldn't bother with chokes. I'm really happy with the 14" remington barrel with XS sights. Can be bought for around $175 and they really perform well.
View Quote
XS front and rear sights? Hadn't thought about using anything other than the gold bead. Do they make a difference on a SBS versus a gold bead?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#20]
yes sir. I have about a dozen variants of the 870 and have used just about every sighting option available on a shotgun. I've learned that personal preference is a huge factor. My PERSONAL favorite is the XS low profile sight. I don't care much for the tritium version. I can make hits to 50 with slugs in unconventional positions with this sight and past 100 with slow controlled fire. That's not a huge deal as I think shotgun are up close guns, but my point is that they're a great aid for actual aimed fire, when needed.

The XS sight really helps keep your head down and eliminates the "kentucky windage" of the standard bead. I always tend to shoot a bit high at distance with a standard bead. I'm sure you've heard of aiming for the beltline past 20 yards. That's due to the angle of offset that can happen if you're not burying the bead against the upper receiver in your sight picture.

Also the low profile XS sights work just as fast as a bead for under 10 yard shooting. They're much faster than the "rifle sights" you've probably used before.

Here's a stock pic. I'll post a pic of my SBS tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
yes sir. I have about a dozen variants of the 870 and have used just about every sighting option available on a shotgun. I've learned that personal preference is a huge factor. My PERSONAL favorite is the XS low profile sight. I don't care much for the tritium version. I can make hits to 50 with slugs in unconventional positions with this sight and past 100 with slow controlled fire. That's not a huge deal as I think shotgun are up close guns, but my point is that they're a great aid for actual aimed fire, when needed.

The XS sight really helps keep your head down and eliminates the "kentucky windage" of the standard bead. I always tend to shoot a bit high at distance with a standard bead. I'm sure you've heard of aiming for the beltline past 20 yards. That's due to the angle of offset that can happen if you're not burying the bead against the upper receiver in your sight picture.

Also the low profile XS sights work just as fast as a bead for under 10 yard shooting. They're much faster than the "rifle sights" you've probably used before.

Here's a stock pic. I'll post a pic of my SBS tomorrow.
http://loungecdn.luckygunner.com/lounge/media/XS-Big-Dot.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for the explanation and pic. How do the sights get installed? Epoxied onto the barrel and over the brass bead? Or is gunsmithing required?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I've always just procured the factory barrel with them installed, so I'm not sure about adding them to a chopped barrel. It looks like this place has the factory 14" with xs low profile sights for $200.
Barrels...scroll down

A cheaper way, and another option, would be to chop your barrel and have a simple bead installed. Then you can add the XS front sight (only) yourself. It simply epoxies over the gold bead. They're pretty slick as well and very durable.
XS big dot front sight.

Be sure to share a pic once you get it done!
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've always just procured the factory barrel with them installed, so I'm not sure about adding them to a chopped barrel. It looks like this place has the factory 14" with xs low profile sights for $200.
Barrels...scroll down

A cheaper way, and another option, would be to chop your barrel and have a simple bead installed. Then you can add the XS front sight (only) yourself. It simply epoxies over the gold bead. They're pretty slick as well and very durable.
XS big dot front sight.

Be sure to share a pic once you get it done!
View Quote
Thank You for the info.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Before you mess with any choke mods [edit to add: I saw you addressed this and I agree with you], try some Federal Flitecontrol buckshot.  I'm betting that will be all you need.  

I have ghost rings on both my 870 and 590.  I would probably be just as happy with what I think Remington calls rifle sights.  

Nice score on the 870P from Summit!  Will you let us know what kind of shape it is in after you take delivery?  I've always seen good things written about Summit.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Before you mess with any choke mods [edit to add: I saw you addressed this and I agree with you], try some Federal Flitecontrol buckshot.  I'm betting that will be all you need.  

I have ghost rings on both my 870 and 590.  I would probably be just as happy with what I think Remington calls rifle sights.  

Nice score on the 870P from Summit!  Will you let us know what kind of shape it is in after you take delivery?  I've always seen good things written about Summit.  

View Quote
Sure will. I think it was Mark I spoke with there. Seemed like a real nice guy. Said he would hand pick one with a sling and anti-walk pins. Sounded good to me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought one of Summit's 870 Police Magnums, 20" with rifle sights. It was clean and tight, and came equipped with a 6-round sidesaddle. I cleaned and oiled it, bought a 28" Rem Choke barrel for it. It doubles as my HD gun and a hunting/sporting clays gun. The exterior showed wear, but the mechanism was near new. I recommend Summit.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I wanted to show you guys what I ended up with. It's an 870 Police Magnum manufactured in 1972. I bought it from Summit.
Overall it was in reasonably good shape. It came with the antiwalk pins and sling. I took it completely apart and cleaned/lubed it.
I don't think it was ever done since being new. However, no rust was found. I added the Remington +2 extension and the Hogue 12" LOP stock.
So I think I have a pretty decent 6+1 shotgun.

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#28]
That's badass.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Is SRM 1216 shotgun worth a shit? I saw hickok45 do a video on it and it looked kind of interesting. Other than that, I know nothing of that shotgun.

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#30]
The only shotguns I would trust for self defense are made in Italy.
Benelli M2 or M4
Beretta 1301-Tac
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I wanted to show you guys what I ended up with. It's an 870 Police Magnum manufactured in 1972. I bought it from Summit.
Overall it was in reasonably good shape. It came with the antiwalk pins and sling. I took it completely apart and cleaned/lubed it.
I don't think it was ever done since being new. However, no rust was found. I added the Remington +2 extension and the Hogue 12" LOP stock.
So I think I have a pretty decent 6+1 shotgun.

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/TORCHRIDER/20170517_140521_Edit_zpszv16ppdu.jpg
View Quote
Nice score, how does it run.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nice score, how does it run.
View Quote
I hope to get it out this weekend. I'll let you know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top