Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2017 12:09:29 AM EDT
I was at a gun show and came across a really basic single shot 12ga for $160. That seemed like a decent price for a cheap simple gun. The only markings I saw on it was "12GA FULL CHOKE 2 3/4" CHAMBER MADE IN JAPAN" written on the barrel. I didn't own a shotgun yet, so I haggled the guy down to $140 and bought it.

Tonight I found another marking on the butt plate that reads "TAIYO JUKI". A quick google search turns up sale ads from 6-10 years ago listing them for $75 and threads from 4 years ago with people saying that they are worth $75-$99. But I couldn't find any sale ads or discussions on this model from recent years.

What does ARFCOM think? Was $140 a fair price for this obscure gun or did I get suckered?

Update: This thing had seven malfunctions from the first box of shells I put through it. Three failures to fire from light primer strikes and four failures to eject from shells getting stuck in the chamber and needing to be pulled out wih a pair of channellocks. A single shot shotty is pretty much the simplest firearm in existence and should have the fewest problems. This thing is a disaster.

Considering the fact that only a little more money could have gotten me a Maverick 88, this gun was definitely a bad purchase. I thought about selling it, but I'd honestly feel bad passing this piece of garbage off to someone else for anywherw near what I paid for it.

Maybe I'll go to WalMart and buy a cheap shell carrying sleeve that slips over the stock, a LimbSaver slip on buttpad, a set of screw-in swivels, and a cheap sling and then sell it to someone for $99 and let them know it malfunctions but it's ok if you're broke and looking for a cheap skeet toy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a bad price for a decent single-shot shotgun. Maybe a bit more than I'd like, but not bad.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was at a gun show and came across a really basic single shot 12ga for $160. That seemed like a decent price for a cheap simple gun. The only markings I saw on it was "12GA FULL CHOKE 2 3/4" CHAMBER MADE IN JAPAN" written on the barrel. I didn't own a shotgun yet, so I haggled the guy down to $140 and bought it.

Tonight I found another marking on the butt plate that reads "TAIYO JUKI". A quick google search turns up sale ads from 6-10 years ago listing them for $75 and threads from 4 years ago with people saying that they are worth $75-$99. But I couldn't find any sale ads or discussions on this model from recent years.

What does ARFCOM think? Was $140 a fair price for this obscure gun or did I get suckered?
View Quote

You own it now bro, dont look back and enjoy it! You maybe overpaid by $40 but it was there when you were ready to buy and that is worth something.
Most of those single shot shotguns are bullet proof and will serve you for many years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I never see single-shot shotguns for less than $100 anymore. That's a $100 for a beat to hell specimen. Better examples start at $150.

If you like it, it was a good deal. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely NOT satisfied with this purchase. Piece of shit malfunctioned seven times with the first 25 round box of shells. Three FTF from light primer strikes and four FTE from shells getting stuck in the tube and needing to be pried out with a pair of channellocks.

If any of you ever see a single shot 12ga like the one I described in the OP, don't buy it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Neither of those are insurmountable problems. Okay, let's think this through:

Light primer strikes. Something is slowing the hammer down. The mainspring may be worn out and need replacement.

FTEs. Your ejector (does it have an ejector, or is it extractor-only?) may be gummed up with something, or the spring could be shot. Disassemble, clean the small parts, and find out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neither of those are insurmountable problems. Okay, let's think this through:

Light primer strikes. Something is slowing the hammer down. The mainspring may be worn out and need replacement.

FTEs. Your ejector (does it have an ejector, or is it extractor-only?) may be gummed up with something, or the spring could be shot. Disassemble, clean the small parts, and find out.
View Quote
You can also polish the chamber to help with ejection.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Soak the action and chamber with brake cleaner. That will remove any dried oil or grease. Then lube with a quality gun oil.

Most gun problems are caused by lack of maintenance. Also, if the gun was new it could have the factory prservative on it, which is usually pretty gummy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Soak the action and chamber with brake cleaner. That will remove any dried oil or grease. Then lube with a quality gun oil.

Most gun problems are caused by lack of maintenance. Also, if the gun was new it could have the factory prservative on it, which is usually pretty gummy.
View Quote
This. And giving the chamber a good cleaning.

Maybe fork over the cash to have a gun smith fully disassemble and clean it if you aren't capable.

Did you see if it patterns good?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know if OP is still following this thread but look at this as an opportunity to take the thing apart and tinker with it. It is a great way to see how a boxlock shotgun works. You might find obvious problems that get it back running.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#12]
$100 gun buyback in some big city full of do-gooders in city council?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top