Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2017 3:43:07 AM EDT
Hello all. I am looking for some torque specifications for the Mossberg 590A1.

In particular from the parts list appearing on page 26 of the REV R. owners manual.

Item NO. 21 Stock Bolt

Item NO. 9 Ejector Screw

For the moment the stock bolt is what I am immediately interested in installing properly.

As I am sure folks familiar with the 590A1 (and like Mossberg variants) the manual simply states on page 17, "3) Using Allen wrench supplied, tighten bolt very snugly."

If anyone has torque specifications that are from the Mossberg horses mouth I would be grateful.

What is snug?

I dropped my keys down a storm drain at the beach years ago. Thats it, they were gone. A buddy (who made andre the giant look small) grabed the easily 200lb cast iron grate up stating, "ssnot that heavy dude."

I will give Mossberg a call in the a.m.. For now I am in park, as we all have been at some late hour.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#1]
1/4 turn past finger tight.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have literally replaced dozens of 500/590/88 stocks and a couple ejectors. I have never used a torque wrench on either. For the stock bolt, I degrease both pieces, put a drop of Blue Loctite then tighten until I it seems tight enough. You don't need/want to go crazy on it. Make sure the stock and receiver socket fit properly to begin with. When done, make sure you cannot rotate the stock. For the ejector screw, clean, apply a tad bit of Loctite (not a whole drop) and tighten until snug plus a smidge tighter.

It is not really rocket surgery. Once it's tight, it's good. If you are bearing down with two hands and straining ,you are using too much torque.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#3]
This (^^), but if you really want them I'm sure they're in the TM I have.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This (^^), but if you really want them I'm sure they're in the TM I have.
View Quote

Not sure what the "(^^)" is, but if you have a spec send it. I am guessing TM is "technical manual"?

Spoke with Mossberg and say state "A torque what? Just make it tight." The lady answering the phone in Texas did have to ask someone as she had not been asked this question before.

I think I will throw out all my torque wrenches and buy harbor freight adjustables in their place.

Thanks for all the replies this far.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Just checked my following references.

SW370-AQ-TRS-010
Techincal Repair Standard for Shotgun, 12-Gauge Mossberg 500A1 (NSN 1005-01-371-4462)  Just states secure bolt (no Torque Specs given)

SW370-AQ-MMO-010
Maintenance Manual Naval Special Warfare, Shotgun, 12-Gauge Mossberg 500A1
Screw the stock bolt into the receiver assembly using flat tip screwdriver.

CD
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Run the stock bolt in until it stops using finger tip pressure on the screw driver or wrench, then turn it 1/8 turn more.

Will the stock move on the receiver? If no you are good to go, if the stock will twist or move relative to the receiver then tighten the screw another 1/8 turn.

Now check the stock again: Will the stock move on the receiver? If no you are good to go, if the stock will twist or move relative to the receiver then tighten the screw another 1/8 turn.

Repeat as needed
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#7]
From Martin at Shockwave Technologies. This goes for his Raptor birdshead grip. His reply to my question in regards to the handle torque:

For Mossberg, I would stick with 60 in-lbs maximum.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top