Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2017 8:58:44 PM EDT
Hello,

I am looking to get into 3 gun and am debating between two shotguns. Right now I am looking at either the Stoeger M3K 3-gun model or the Beretta 1301. The Stoeger is inertia driven vs the Beretta being gas driven. Anyone have experience with both? Any others I should look at? (I know the Benelli M2 is popular, but with all the work that needs done to them to get them 3 gun ready, I am not interested and I already have a Mossberg 930 SPX and am not interested in JM model)

Thanks
Jason
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The guns are at two different price points.  I have a 20 ga Stoeger 3020 that I added the mods myself to and it runs like a raped ape.  I also have a Beretta 1301 that I just boxed up to send to Rose Action Sports for opening up the loading port to cavernous proportions.  Both have been great performers.  The recoil pulse if definitely different between the two.

Look at MOA Precision for a tuned Stoeger 3000 for about $800.  Actually Rose Action Sports could do that for you as well (don't know the price).
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the same boat as you OP, looking at the same guns.
I think the Beretta may be better, as you get what you pay for right?
The 1301 they say is a soft shooter and handles lighter loads better, and the inertia guns may choke if you don't shoulder them properly. 
Trouble is the 1301 seems to be hard to come by lately, at least in my searches.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Stoeger 3k in the classifieds, already tuned.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea I saw that stoeger m3000 in the classifieds it's the competition  model. It comes with most done already. Except mag tube extension.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats an easy fix.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_162/1639800_Stoeger-M3K-8-1-12-gauge-3-Gun-shotgun--550-ftf-in-OK--575-ship.html
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Remington VersaMax Competition.

I love the looks of the 1301 but I've heard they can be finicky
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:05:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Remington VersaMax Competition.

I love the looks of the 1301 but I've heard they can be finicky
View Quote

I've got the Versa Max Tactical. It's a great gun. Difference is the opened loading port and an even longer extension.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought the 24" 930 JM

I really like it
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I stumbled upon a 1301 comp. I really like how it fits me so far.
If I ghost load it I can cram 7 rounds into it. Ill have to get a tube extention and see about loading port work.
Maybe a few more small parts, but the main thing is I need shotgun practice. 
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll be grabbing a Benelli M4 eventually as soon as I can squirrel away 2k. I only want that one because I want to run service weapons for 3 gun. Already got an M4orgery and an M9.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:36:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll be grabbing a Benelli M4 eventually as soon as I can squirrel away 2k. I only want that one because I want to run service weapons for 3 gun. Already got an M4orgery and an M9.
View Quote

Check GB, seen some deals lately on slightly used ones for reasonable prices. You may want to run a Mossberg 500 or a 590 in the interim if you intend on running a service weapon. I started with a 590 and then went to the VM Tac. As much as I would like a Benelli M4. I can't really justify it as I really like my Versa Max.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:37:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm doing the same shopping right now. my wife decided my 11-87p was hers now and not mine.

I've narrowed it down to the Benelli M4, FN is up there with the SLP and I'm hoping Remington releases the R12 (or a version of it) to the general public before I have the moneyh saved up.

the fact surefire isn't making forends (or nobody else jumped onto that) for any of these is a huge let down though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Beretta makes the best semi-autos out there in terms of reliability IMO. I have four Beretta autos with in excess of 15-20K rounds combined and can count the number of FTFs and FTEs between the four on one hand (RIO ammo)
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I shot a JM for 2 seasons, a M2 last season, and a SLP this season.

Interia systems kick like a mule and are finicky with lighter loads, gas guns will run anything but have to be cleaned every 500-750 rounds. After I sold my Benelli I wanted a FN or the 1301 comp. I couldn't be more happy with the FN.

The Versamaxs I see are constantly struggling with the exception of one which seems to run.

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#15]
The Stoeger (with some extra port work) is one of the easiest to load shotguns, and loading efficiently is a big part of 3 Gun shotgunning. The inertia system is also very reliable and low maintenance if you use shells that the gun likes (1200 fps or more). Not exactly mule kicking IMHO, but it will have more felt recoil than the gas operated guns (all things being equal)

The 1301 is a soft shooting gun and cycles very quickly, you'll probably want some loading port work done to make it easier to load (maybe not depending upon your goals). You get that top level Beretta quality and a very dependable gun.

Either one could be used as is (just add a mag tube extension), both can be refined to make really good 3 Gun shotguns. If at all possible try to handle and shoot both before them you make your choice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for the 1301 Comp. I have the 24" model.

I shoot and run local outlaw 3 gun matches. I see plenty of straight pull 930s, choking CZ 712s, self dissassembling turkish guns, finicky 1100s, etc. My 1301 literally runs any 12 guage ammo I feed it from cheap herters to high brass slugs.

Beretta (and its subsidiaries) is known for reliable semi-auto shotguns. I didn't want to buy something that needed work to run. All of the reviews on the 1301 that I can find are positive. The shell release 'problem' is easily fixed and is the only complaint I could find.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I just,bought,an SLP.
I took the cheapest Winchester 1 oz load I could find and ran an entire box through it.
It ran like a sewing machine.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a FN SLP Mark 1 as well. It is my shotgun for my local 3 gun matches. It eats anything it is fed. Super fast. I need to open up the loading port more.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the JM Pro.    The last large 3 gun match I went to myself and another guy had JM Pros and finished w/out any issues while some of the guns mentioned here were also used by others and had problems.  

REMEMBER... The guns musts be cleaned...most of the people that have problems have never cleaned the guns.  The JM Pro must be cleaned out of the box and then broken in and cleaned again.  

I have never had any issues with mine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like the JM Pro.    The last large 3 gun match I went to myself and another guy had JM Pros and finished w/out any issues while some of the guns mentioned here were also used by others and had problems.  

REMEMBER... The guns musts be cleaned...most of the people that have problems have never cleaned the guns.  The JM Pro must be cleaned out of the box and then broken in and cleaned again.  

I have never had any issues with mine.
View Quote
Swapping in the OR3GUN parts will have a get them running like a top.

At one point myself and two of my teammates were running them, and we had a spare.

4 JM's between us. Mine was the only one or of the box that had issues. They all had the OR3Gun parts installed and an issue was never had again.

From the 930s I switched to an M2 (which I've since sold) and another guy switched to an A5. Both guns weren't reliable out of the box. I swapped parts until I got it somewhat reliable and sold it for a SLP, the A5 shooter opted to stick with heavy fast loads. The guy who is still shooting the 930 still has a gun that's chugging along.

I prefer my SLP to the 930 because of refinement, but the 930 is far from a bad gun.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What issues did you guys encounter with the M2 and the A5?
View Quote
The bolt on my M2 would stick to the rear. A heavier spring fixed that, but then it wouldn't run lighter ammo. After that it had feeding issues where the lifter wouldn't come all the way up. It was a constant battle of gremlins. It went down on stages at two different majors. At that point it's time for me to move on.

The A5 is less finicky, it just has to have fast heavy loads or it won't feed/eject correctly. The inertia system pushes you around enough without having to add higher power rounds to it. They are also expensive.

I specially went after a gas as a replacement. Wanted nothing to do with a Versamax. Left the 1301 and the SLP.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I run a versamax in local 3 gun.  I'm slow but the gun shoots just fine.  I didn't get the tactical/competition model though.  I got the standard field grade 26", added a mag extension and took a dremel to the loading port and the only thing it has ever jammed on was full power slugs.  You'll want to run the reduced recoil slugs (which it shoots just fine) anyway so no big deal there.  I shoot probably 350 rounds a month and clean it about every 3-4 months.

A lot of guys at the local matches run M2s, including most of the half dozen or so guys with pro sponsors who are very good. Most of them are happy with their M2s.  Lots of other folks are happy with the M3Ks and the 1301s.  Couple guys swear by their FNs.  I see a lot of JM930s that seem to have the most issues - but also keep in mind the guys who are new or don't have a lot of experience run the 930s so there might be some user error there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top