Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2017 6:01:40 PM EDT
Are there any restrictions on buying the LE version of Benelli M4 ? This is the 7 shot version. Model 11710.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
It has a 18.5" barrel and is over 26" long, so I doubt there is any issue unless Florida has something weird in its gun laws.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy the Benelli and enjoy it quietly. Dont let the 922r Stasi pollute your decision.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:46:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Same as all the other Benellis -- unless they're converted to being 922(r) compliant, they're only supposed to be sold to LE.
View Quote
That's not how it works. They may only be imported for the purpose of selling to LE. They don't have to comply with 922(r). Once initially sold to LE, they can be sold to anyone, and the gun remains permanently exempt from 922(r). Any gun which enters LE hands for duty use is permanently exempt from 922(r), pursuant to 18 USC §925.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#7]
It's an OK gun except for the funky stock.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's an OK gun except for the funky stock.
View Quote

The one I'm looking at is NIB from a dealer and it has the regular non pistol grip stock .
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a LEO M4 SBS. My dealer ordered it for a local agency, they took possession of it, it sat on their racks then they turned around and traded it back to him (which is when he sold it to me). Just as a CYA he gave me copies of the original order, sale and trade in forms so in case of fire I had a paper trail for the gun (aside from the approved form 4).
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's a plus, IMO.
View Quote

The field stock is two inches too long but it's the best stock for the M4.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's not how it works. They may only be imported for the purpose of selling to LE. They don't have to comply with 922(r). Once initially sold to LE, they can be sold to anyone, and the gun remains permanently exempt from 922(r). Any gun which enters LE hands for duty use is permanently exempt from 922(r), pursuant to 18 USC §925.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same as all the other Benellis -- unless they're converted to being 922(r) compliant, they're only supposed to be sold to LE.

This. Mine was imported as a law enforcement model and came as you see it (sans aftermarket attachments, of course) with all Benelli parts. I bought it off a cop in 2009 who had put maybe 50 rounds through it. Never read anything about 922(r) applying to law enforcement models imported as such.

Attachment Attached File

The only thing I've changed out on it is I swapped the factory magazine spring for a Wolff spring last month because the factory one was finally wearing out and failing to feed the 7th round multiple times on my January shotgun range trip.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#14]
All you perfect creatures caring about 922r, don't forget to file the purchase on your state income tax return if you order the shotgun from out of state and pay online.

Ps. I prefer the PG stock. Tried all 3 and the urbino. Urbino is best, but attachment method is clown shoes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The field stock is two inches too long but it's the best stock for the M4.
View Quote

Does anybody make a shorter but quality made stock for the M4 ?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It only "applies" to the extent that LE models are only supposed to be initially sold to LE (though plenty of places will sell them to anyone), which is why the M4s listed on Benelli's commercial site are 5+1, while those on the LE site are configured as designed.  If I'm a Benelli dealer and I get an LE M4 in, I'm not supposed to sell it to non-LE. As KitBuilder said, once they're sold out from LE, they remain 922(r) exempt.
View Quote

Are you required to sell them to a LE agency or can they be sold to an LE individual with badge and ID?  Or do you need a letter signed by the Chief saying that it's an individual/private purchase for use in a LE capacity but will be the property of the LE individual since they are paying for it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#20]
What's this all about?
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/01/24/benellis-new-civilian-legal-m4/

"Benelli has introduced a new model parts. But since it is rebuilt in the US it is considered an American made shotgun. It now includes a full
length tube and sliding stock as standard items, and utilizes the Robar
NP3 finish (similar to the Remington Maritime Models) for rust
resistance. "
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:41:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Are you required to sell them to a LE agency or can they be sold to an LE individual with badge and ID?  Or do you need a letter signed by the Chief saying that it's an individual/private purchase for use in a LE capacity but will be the property of the LE individual since they are paying for it?
View Quote
There are a couple different exceptions. Both allow for individual ownership.

One is for imported guns exempt from 922(r), such as the Benelli. Those are the "check this box" type at the LE dealer, or "We checked and he had LE/mil ID." That's supposed to insure the importer wasn't retroactively lying when they imported the guns for the United States or any department or agency thereof, etc. No letter is needed, and the guns may be purchased by individual officers or service members.

Another exception is for any gun purchased by an individual officer. If they have a letter signed by their supervisor or CLEO stating the firearm is for official use (IOP letter), they may buy from a dealer in any state, without even having to do a 4473. They don't need to be present either; the gun can be shipped. Obviously this would also cover the first scenario, for an imported non-sporting firearm, as well.

This exception has been in place ever since the FFL licensing scheme was first initiated with the Gun Control Act of 1968, and it's even on ATF's Firearms FAQ, however many dealers either don't know about it or don't want to do it. Most LEO's aren't aware of it either.

The exceptions are termed "relief from disabilities" and are specified by:
18 USC 925(a)(1); 27 CFR 478.134 and 478.141

See also:
ATF Guidebook - Importation & Verification of Firearms, Ammunition, and Implements of War, General Overview https://www.atf.gov/file/61786/download
ATF's FFL Newsletter, dated September 2013, "Sales to Law Enforcement" (pages 7-8) https://www.atf.gov/file/4256/download
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:29:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Must have replaced domestic parts -- I saw that on their website earlier today and was wondering if it was legit or just a FUBARed photo link.
View Quote

It's legit. Due to some legalities, refinishing the firearm allowed it to be considered as "manufacturing" it. Benelli used the tougher gun regulations the feds enacted on gunsmiths, to slap them in the face by using it to turn non-922r compliant guns into guns that 922r didn't apply to. It was freaking genius. Less than 100 were sold before the atf put the kabosh on it, sadly. Benelli h20 model.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Huh.  Well done, Benelli.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must have replaced domestic parts -- I saw that on their website earlier today and was wondering if it was legit or just a FUBARed photo link.

It's legit. Due to some legalities, refinishing the firearm allowed it to be considered as "manufacturing" it. Benelli used the tougher gun regulations the feds enacted on gunsmiths, to slap them in the face by using it to turn non-922r compliant guns into guns that 922r didn't apply to. It was freaking genius. Less than 100 were sold before the atf put the kabosh on it, sadly. Benelli h20 model.

Huh.  Well done, Benelli.

I gotta hand it to them, Beretta (owners of Benelli) are pretty creative about getting around our dumb laws and are very pro-2A.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Unless there's something relatively new out there, there isn't a shorter field stock available.  It's not difficult to chop it yourself (or pay someone to do it).
View Quote

I did this a long time ago.  I have all three factory stocks, they are all too long for me.  The C stock in the middle position is good, but it's not exactly comfortable.

I also modified a speeded tactical (short LOP) for a Benelli S90 to fit the M4.  But the attachment method leaves much to be desired.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember seeing those H2O models when I was in the market for mine. I didn't know this aspect of them, or I'd probably have snagged one of them instead. That's a genius move on their part. At least until the ATF declared by fiat that they couldn't do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top