Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2017 10:32:04 PM EDT
I know early models of the KSG had issues but as I understand it, most if not all of those have been rectified. I'm looking for a tough, reliable and small shotgun without going the SBR route. The KSG seems well suited to meet that roll.

Primary use will be in a camper van...based on the assumption that most if not all states can't get pissy about a shotgun in the same way they might a handgun or rifle.

What say the hive? If I can get a LNIB Gen II gun for $600 should I grab it?
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
$600 seems like a good price. That being said I'm not a huge fan of the KSG.  I had an opportunity to T&E one about a year ago and had terrible luck.  We had probably 4 or 5 jams out of 50 or so rounds.  Plus it's kinda complicated to get proficient with.  I did like the size of it, and I really wanted to like it, but after shooting one I couldn't bring myself to recommend them.

ETA: I forgot to mention that with the bullpup design you get an unbelievable amount of smoke in your face.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I like mine, and have no issues with it. The only negatives that come to mind from my experience with mine is that it kicks like a mule, is quite loud, and very heavy fully loaded. All these things are just the nature of the beast and you get used to them over time.

The price sounds good as long as it's the newer version.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a Gen 2 for a few years now. No problems with it but you have to rack the slide firmly. If you baby the slide racking there are feeding issues.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had a Gen 2 for a few years now. No problems with it but you have to rack the slide firmly. If you baby the slide racking there are feeding issues.
View Quote

Same here. Gen 2 with zero issues. Rack it like you mean it and it'll run flawlessly. I got over the coolness though and sold it. Kinda miss it, kinda don't have a use for it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Walked into my LGS and they had one on the display wall next to all the other shotguns. We all know they are short, but you don't realize how short they are until they are next to other guns. I almost had an impulse buy after shouldering one. Had to force myself to walk away as I am concern about their reliability. Also they didn't have the color I wanted. If they had the OD green one I would have jumped on it.

The antigun crowd is goining to try to ban this.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Walked into my LGS and they had one on the display wall next to all the other shotguns. We all know they are short, but you don't realize how short they are until they are next to other guns. I almost had an impulse buy after shouldering one. Had to force myself to walk away as I concern about their reliability. Also they didn't have the color I wanted. If they had the OD green one I would have jumped on it.

View Quote

In that case you'd better get one while you can!  
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I had one. Ran like a champ but I found it heavy so traded it off, for me rifles were a better fit
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
When the KSG came out some complained it kicked hard because it was light.

Empty I don't find it heavy, but loaded with 14 rds. of 12 ga. it becomes heavy for a good reason, and it kicks because its a 12 ga.

If you want to check out a heavy shotgun with similar characteristics as a KSG try out a DP-12.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The KSG is a nice compact self-defense shotgun, and mine has run 100% when run properly.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Walked into my LGS and they had one on the display wall next to all the other shotguns. We all know they are short, but you don't realize how short they are until they are next to other guns. I almost had an impulse buy after shouldering one. Had to force myself to walk away as I am concern about their reliability. Also they didn't have the color I wanted. If they had the OD green one I would have jumped on it.

View Quote

If you live in a state that is run by the anti-gun crowd perhaps but there are no national bans that are going to occur in the next 4 years. But plan for the future.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Had mine for a while only trouble is when using low brass ammo and not running like you mean it. Like all Keltec products you have to run rounds threw them to break them in.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been running my KSG for the past two years in local 3-gun matches and have had zero problems once I figured out the proper way to quickly switch mag tubes on the fly.  Bottom line is it runs 100%.  I added an aluminum bottom rail (not in this early picture) so there is no chance of my vert grip tearing up the plastic rail.  I also added a contoured & extended mag tube selector so I can switch tubes with the flick of my shooting hand wrist.  My pump hand stays on the vert grip which eliminates a second or two in the heat of a match.  Mine eats low brass as well as high brass.  It eats anything I feed it.  Since I just run it for 3-gun I took the BUIS off to save a little weight.  If my T1 Micro ever goes belly up during a run I can just use it as a giant ghost ring sight.

Link Posted: 2/7/2017 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#13]
tempted to get one of these or the mossberg 590 shockwave. Both the same size, both arent very practical, but both are cool in their own way.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Only 200 rounds into mine.
Flawless so far.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#15]
a lot of states prohibit loaded guns and the KSG doesn't look like it lends itself to dropping a round in as fast as possible, say compared to an 870 stored with the slide back or a double barrel shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
tempted to get one of these or the mossberg 590 shockwave. Both the same size, both arent very practical, but both are cool in their own way.
View Quote

I'm right there with you, I want one or both because they're cool and look fun, but I don't normally use a shotgun for anything beyond bird hunting!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
a lot of states prohibit loaded guns and the KSG doesn't look like it lends itself to dropping a round in as fast as possible, say compared to an 870 stored with the slide back or a double barrel shotgun.
View Quote

What in the hell are you talking about?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I really like the idea of the KSG but I wont buy one because of the issues I have seen. I have sold two (I'm a Dealer) within the last 3 months, both were returned. The first one had shell feeding issues (it took an inhuman slam to get the shells to feed. Even then it didn't work reliably) the other had an action bar or something come loose. Both were sent back. One of the replacement guns didn't function. Great Idea, failed execution so far.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine's been excellent right out of the box! After I got it though, I did work the action allot before I shot it after I cleaned and oiled it.

There's a lot of 'nay sayers' about them, but if you got a good one to begin with, you'll like it for what it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top