Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2016 12:48:40 AM EDT
I have been researching putting a scope on a shotgun. Thus far I seen various youtube videos and even some having an acog on it which I do not believe they can effectively use since it has such a short eye relief and the way they're aiming it would be impossible to see.

I am thinking about putting a scope on a shotgun just to test it out. I won't name specific brands but it is a 1-4x powered optic with a 2.75" eye relief. Admittedly I am a complete novice on shotguns and I am starting to get old and cannot see very clear so a scope really helps.

Assuming I put this on there, how much of a risk would I face with getting kissed by the scope? I am planning to shoot 3" #4/#5 shots out of it. What if I get a sling to assist where I'm able to pull it really tight against my shoulders?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless your shooting at game with a rifled barreled slug gun why even put a scope on it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless your shooting at game with a rifled barreled slug gun why even put a scope on it?
View Quote

I just want a red bead over the target. I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it is safe to do so?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]
What are you actually going to be shooting at?  A moving target with shot or larger game with slugs?

There is no magic bullet for bad eye sight and wing shooting.  If you feel you need help, first you need true shooting glasses.  Taller lenses and frames means you still have unobstructed corrected vision with your face pressed into the stock.  For a dot, Burris fastfire might be a good choice.

What you are failing to take into account is what happens to your cheek weld when you mount a scope on a shotgun.  This is how novices turn $200 shotguns into $1000 gun projects.  People have to buy everything twice to get it right.  You are making that exact mistake by starting with the optic.

Tell us what you want to shoot, we will tell you what to build.

Just as an FYI I prefer red dots or  fixed power 1.5x-2x scopes for my rifled slug barrel.  You don't need a lot of magnification in typical shotgun ranges, but yeah a 1x4 will work for slugs.  Odds are if you eat the scope in your eye, it will be while sighting in on the bench.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:04:04 AM EDT
[#4]
You might want to use a small reflex red dot like the Burris Fastfire 3.  See post above.  They are very popular on shotguns and hold up well to the recoil.  I run one on a tactical shotgun and like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top