Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2015 10:38:06 PM EDT
I'm planning on shooting skeet this weekend with some buddies and have a clearing that is about 160ft to the treeline. Is that enough for fun, backyard skeet shooting?

Also, what is the recommended distance to anything beyond your shot? My neighbor is 1250 away, but it is through a pine forest, and there is elevation change. Anything to worry about? For the record, 1200 of that 1250 is my property.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#1]
300 yards is usually the rule of thumb for 7.5 shot or smaller.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Is 160ft enough distance to shoot?

ETA: before the skeet gets to the treeline
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just looked. 300 yards is still on my property
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#4]
160 sounds good to me, the closest line in trap is 16 yards from the house, I'd think 10x that is enough to bust clays before they hit the trees
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
As said, safety zone for 7.5 shot is 300 yds.  True shot travel distance is probably closer to 200 yds.   Target breaking distance is 40-50 yds max.  Most shotguns are patterned at 40 yds.

Visibility is another issue,  Targets with a tree background are much harder to pick up than targets against blue sky.

So for visibility - no trees anywhere to the horizon,

for safety zone 300 yds,

actual shot-fall about 200-225 yds

target break distances 40-50 yds.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As said, safety zone for 7.5 shot is 300 yds.  True shot travel distance is probably closer to 200 yds.   Target breaking distance is 40-50 yds max.  Most shotguns are patterned at 40 yds.

Visibility is another issue,  Targets with a tree background are much harder to pick up than targets against blue sky.

So for visibility - no trees anywhere to the horizon,

for safety zone 300 yds,

actual shot-fall about 200-225 yds

target break distances 40-50 yds.

View Quote

That will be tough because the cleared area is my immediate backyard and the remaining 13 acres is pine forest. Not much I can do about that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#7]
You will be more then fine with that much open space.  Last spring I set my Nephews up on a small ridge just inside the tree line shooting into a clearing in a swamp.  Great real life practice, especially going out at different times of the day to see how angle of the sun can help or hurt you.  Sometimes I set the bird to hit a certain tree or disappear into brush.

With open ground, consider adding a rabbit.  Everybody loves the rabbit!

Also, after you shoot, you may find some selective pruning at the tree line will help for longer shots and adding variety.  Another winner is incoming shots.  Look at typical 5 stand set ups to maximize use of a finite space.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Worked out great. Had a blast. I could only find dove and 90mm skeet so it was a good challenge. Did some free shooting then constructed a playoff tournament.

After, made some chicken chili, made a fire, and drank a bunch of beers. All in all, it was a great day. Thanks everyone for the input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top