Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 4:33:52 AM EDT
I've got a few pumps now. Mostly Mossy 500's and 2 Maverick 88's.
I'm thinking about get a semi-auto 12ga for HD and to run in some classes eventually. I'm not made of money and as much as I like the Benelli M4's, I just can't afford one at this point in time. Kids and a farm will do that for ya!
What other semi-auto's are out there that are worth it. I prefer tube fed, American made guns. Anything from Winchester, Remington or Mossberg that are worthwhile and won't leave me red-faced at a class? Oh and won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Of your listed constraints, a Remington 1100 will be the most reliable.

Reliability will be a distant second to quality Italian semi autos, though.  There is a reason why Beretta and Benelli dominate the competition semi auto shotgun market.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Rem 1100 or used Benelli M1.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#3]
1100 you can build on it as you can afford it.

Way more parts and accessories than for any other brand so you can go any configuration or capacity  you could think of.

I have been running the snot out of the same 1100 for over 10+ yrs. with a steady diet of bird buck and slug for 3gun and informal skeet and sporting clays.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Remington VersaMax Tactical gets some great reviews.  Operating system is almost identical to Benelli M4.

Remington R12 if you're LE and can get one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Beretta 1201FP uses the same inertia-drive system as the Benelli M1/M2, and is usually a lot cheaper. Many of the bolt parts will interchange with an M1, and the pistol-grip stock will swap out if you don't like the 1201's stock(and you won't, it sucks). I got mine for around $500 and it looks like almost brand new. The only real downside to a Beretta 1201 is the lack of accessories; like a longer barrel or chokes, and the recoil generated by its light weight and recoil-operated system.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of your listed constraints, a Remington 1100 will be the most reliable.

Reliability will be a distant second to quality Italian semi autos, though.  There is a reason why Beretta and Benelli dominate the competition semi auto shotgun market.  

View Quote

This is a good answer.  1100 is a good gun.   Italian semi-autos are really good.  Honestly given your budget constraints why not just stick with a good pump?  Plenty of bad people have been killed with pump guns.  Save your money and buy a better semi down the road.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have them all and the 11-87 and 1100 that I shoot have been dead nuts reliable. ( so far)

the Benelli, Beretta..Browning I pull out every now and then to show off a BBQ or something.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for the 1100.  

I haven't had mine for years, but am still impressed by the (perfect) reliability that I have experienced.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Check Walmart... they're blowing out "tactical" guns and you might find a Mossberg 930 for 1/2 price.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The 1100 and 11-87 might require a little more attention to keep the gas system clean but there is a reason they have been on the market since 1963....yeah that's over 52 years just like me.

The Stoeger M3000 is making a good showing in the 3 gun competition venue. A cheaper second cousin of the Benelli inertia guns (M2, Super Black Eagle) it is proving to be a decent alternative for the occasional shooter.

If you get a Mossberg 930 that ends up being fairly reliable consider yourself lucky.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:31:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Good autoloaders are MORE reliable than pumps. You are more likely to short-stroke a pump under stress than a quality autoloader is to malfunction.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#12]
My 1100 likes to dump shells out of the mag tube under recoil. It sucks to have to remove trigger group & reassemble in 0 degrees in the woods w deer running around you
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Benelli
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Autoloaders more reliable - from above statement.
I generally agree with this too.  Main thing with autoloaders is some maintenance, some load testing but most importantly staying in behind the gun = Giving it a solid platform of counterpressure during the operation cycle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Remington 11-87. Its basically an improved 1100. Had issues with some 1100s when shooting some low-brass shells. Not enough gas to eject them. High-brass is not an issue. The 11-87s runs fine with anything.

The Remington 1100 and 1187 are pretty soft shooting shotguns.

Benelli makes a good shot gun, but their inertia system make the gun kick more. For the money, I'd go with a Remignton.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Remington 11-87. Its basically an improved 1100. Had issues with some 1100s when shooting some low-brass shells. Not enough gas to eject them. High-brass is not an issue. The 11-87s runs fine with anything.

The Remington 1100 and 1187 are pretty soft shooting shotguns.

Benelli makes a good shot gun, but their inertia system make the gun kick more. For the money, I'd go with a Remignton.
View Quote

I hear this all the time, but my M2 seems no different than any other 12 gauge of similar weight.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Benelli  m4 is sex
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Benelli M3. Semi / pump
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the info. I have a lot to consider. I really like the idea of a Benelli M1 with a speedfeed and found one local, but I can get a nice 1100 or 1187 for less than half the price. Get a Speedfeed stock for it, replace the bead and maybe rig some sort of rail on it for a MRDS and still come out way cheaper than the Benelli.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:50:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a 11-87 SP for years.  Not really any issues with it, except the weight.

I "rescued" a very old Auto 5 from the used rack at a local gun store a few years back.  $295 for a "poor condition" Browning.  Got it home, cleaned it up and forgot about the idea of Parkerizing/painting it as it was only pitted in one spot in the engraving on the receiver.

Anyway, Ramline synthetic stock/forend, Nordic extended magazine tube and it was great.  Just for good measure I replaced all the springs inside (found the magazine tube spring had been broken at some point and the previous owner had taken a couple pairs of pliers and bend the broken ends around themselves.  The darn thing worked fine like that.  I didn't know if was "repaired" in that manner till I took it all apart for a total clean up/lube job.

The serial number indicates it was made in 1934 (same year my dad was born) and it runs like a top, even with the low powered 100 rounds per box shells from Walmart.  I wish I'd found/bought that gun 20 or 30 years ago when I was still hunting a lot.

Another John Browning design.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info. I have a lot to consider. I really like the idea of a Benelli M1 with a speedfeed and found one local, but I can get a nice 1100 or 1187 for less than half the price. Get a Speedfeed stock for it, replace the bead and maybe rig some sort of rail on it for a MRDS and still come out way cheaper than the Benelli.
View Quote

$500 Turkish Benelli M3 clone

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Whatever you do, stay away from the Win SuperSpeed / SuperTrap / Universal crap shells, they are the bane of semi-autos.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I just bought Mossberg 930 for about $550, it came with two barrels, an 18" and a 26". I haven't shot it alot, but worked fine when I did.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Remington VersaMax Tactical gets some great reviews.  Operating system is almost identical to Benelli M4.

View Quote

Been running a VersaMax Tactical in 3-gun. I've also got a regular VersaMax. they are reliable and comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#25]
My Mossberg 930 had teething issues. I sent it back to Mossberg and now it will run anything I put in it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Whatever you do, stay away from the Winchester SuperSpeed / SuperTrap / Universal crap shells, they are the bane of semi-autos.
View Quote

This is the truth!! Winchester's cheapies are absolute shyte! My Benelli chokes on them, and I'm not alone. We keep a box as a gag gift at the 3gun/combat shoots.

For WalMart ammo, Federal 100 paks run perfectly, as do Suprema and Estate brand.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is the truth!! Winchester's cheapies are absolute shyte! My Benelli chokes on them, and I'm not alone. We keep a box as a gag gift at the 3gun/combat shoots.

For WalMart ammo, Federal 100 paks run perfectly, as do Suprema and Estate brand.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever you do, stay away from the Winchester SuperSpeed / SuperTrap / Universal crap shells, they are the bane of semi-autos.

I buy estate 8's by the case from Academy
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I've heard of the Winchester cheapo ammo causing issues before. I've slowly accumulated quite a stock of Federal, Estate and a few others.
Thanks again for the info, everyone.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#29]
RIO is opening an ammunition plant not far from me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#30]
If you are willing to purchase used and do not need a three-inch chamber, the Remington Model 11 is a heck of a deal.  It is Remington's licensed version of the Browning Auto-5.  Examples in great condition can be found for less than $300, and the long-recoil action is very reliable.  The tricks are to properly set the friction rings (I set mine for heavy loads unless a load is too light to cycle the gun) and to very sparingly lubricate the magazine tube on which the friction rings ride with CLP.

The Model 11 is threaded with the same thread and pitch as the 870, but the threaded area is a bit longer on the Model 11.  This allows one to use the magazine tube extension kits for the 870 as long as you fabricate a small spacer.  Since the barrel recoils into the action, you cannot use an extension that requires a barrel clamp. BTW, the Model 11 uses a steel magazine follower, but you can choose any 12-gauge 870 follower you like.

Things to look for on a Model 11 are cracked forearms (from not keeping the magazine cap tight) as these are hard to replace, degraded fiber buffers from too much oil (need to rivet a new one into the gun), and missing friction rings and pieces as cracked receivers are possible if the gun recoils too hard.  Spare parts are available from Sarco and Numrich.  I bought two lifetimes worth of spare parts for less than $100.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#31]

How much do you want to spend? The Winchester SX2/3 is a great gun and the SX2's are old enough now that used ones can be had for under $600, but if memory serves me correct they are not made in the USA. I think they are made in Belgium at the FN plant. The Browning Gold(which the SX2 is based off of)is a great gun also.

I'm a Benelli fan and really like the Benelli M1/2 and they can be had new for around $1100 and used in the $600-800 range depending on condition.

I'm not a fan of Remington anymore but I think the Versamax is supposed to be a good gun. The 1100 and1187 is a solid gun but IMO requires more maintenance to keep reliable.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.   Frankly Fiochi runs great also and is not that much more money.   A lot of folks use Rios, they are a little inconsistent but if your gun is broken in they are OK/
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My 1100 likes to dump shells out of the mag tube under recoil. It sucks to have to remove trigger group & reassemble in 0 degrees in the woods w deer running around you
View Quote

Worn or out of spec shell latch, allowing shells to slip out. Get em replaced
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Been running a VersaMax Tactical in 3-gun. I've also got a regular VersaMax. they are reliable and comfortable to shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the weight vs Benelli M4?
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 they arent as dirty as Federals. I use Estate 7.5's for hunting and they shoot as good as Remingtons.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I used an 11-87 or 1100 for years in 3 gun.  I can't recommend them.  The loading gate sucks.  They can be reliable if you clean the gas system and change the O-ring regularly.

I bought a Beretta 1301 and never looked back.  It is a fantastic tactica/competition shotgun.  Less than a Benelli or a Versamax.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I've never used a semi-auto shotgun before, but I was surprised at all the semi-autos at the last (well, first, and only) 3-gun I shot. Every semi-auto shooter there was having reliability problems.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I've never used a semi-auto shotgun before, but I was surprised at all the semi-autos at the last (well, first, and only) 3-gun I shot. Every semi-auto shooter there was having reliability problems.
View Quote

I've seen more "competition" guns that's have been tinkered with fail more than off the shelf guns.

OP doesn't want a gun built for competing. He wants a gun for home defense.

Defending your home is not a 3 gun comp. No matter how much a 3 gun comp resembles a structure of a house.

I've also seen more race cars blow their engine than sports cars you buy at the dealership.

I'm not a mechanic, but I'm sure one of them being highly modified and rode hard might have something to do with it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have them all and the 11-87 and 1100 that I shoot have been dead nuts reliable. ( so far)

the Benelli, Beretta..Browning I pull out every now and then to show off a BBQ or something.
View Quote

The 11-87 when shortened to 18 1/2"  will malfunction with reduced recoil tactical OOB.  Don't know about the 1100.  There is an inexpensive fix for the 11-87, but I wouldn't trust it in a HD situation.  Much better off with a $200 used Rem pump.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top