Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2015 10:34:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 930spx and it is hyper sensitive to light loads. I thought it was just a break-in period thing but nope, it chokes like a cat with a hairball with anything low brass (FTF's and FTE's).

I guy I know has a Benelli M4 SBS with a 14" barrel and that thing runs like a greased top no matter what he puts through it... then again it better for two grand.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 930spx and it is hyper sensitive to light loads. I thought it was just a break-in period thing but nope, it chokes like a cat with a hairball with anything low brass (FTF's and FTE's).

I guy I know has a Benelli M4 SBS with a 14" barrel and that thing runs like a greased top no matter what he puts through it... then again it better for two grand.
View Quote

930 SPX YMMV, mine ate everything but some really really cheap buckshot I got with hulls that were more flimsy then Winchester Universal (which my SPX ate fine with really forceful extraction). Be aware that the main flaw with the 930 is the aluminum transfer tube in the action doesn't vent spent gas correctly and because of that, ambient humidity can slow the action down as fouling increases choking the gun. $40.00 will fix that though with an aftermarket tube that's relieved and bored for better dissipation of spent gas.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I've read a litany of reasons and "fixes" for my SPX online, but I just don't shoot low brass and it works fine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#4]
look at remington's versa max.  a cheaper version of the Benelli m4.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]
You can still get some pretty affordable low brass that will still run in autos like the spx. Just look for fps of 1275 or better. You can get low brass at Walmart for 7-8 a box of 1275-1300fps. No hiccups in my vepr12 and they are far more sensitive then the spx. But that 1000fps dove load stuff ain't gonna cut it. If you want auto then you need to subscribe to what they eat. You wouldn't get a great dane and expect it to eat what your chihuahua ate would you?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
go to a 3 gun match, and see what the non sponsored shot gunners are using.... my Benelli M1S90 runs any 3 dram 1 1/8oz load if the case head is in dimension... magazine spring length is critical if you add an extended tube (for my 21", ISMI spring 13" longer than installed height of the tube)... the inertia guns don't like a lot of crap hung on them
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Light load refers to both. 1oz or better usually run better in auto, also they usually have more powder=higher fps. Light loads are usually under 3/4oz and usually aren't packing much powered. Most use the term of low brass because cheaper target/bird aren't high collar brass like $1 a shell buck shot. But like I said you can still get $8 for 25rd a box of heavy shot 1275+fps. Sure it ain't the 5-6 cheap dove shot but 3more bucks for no stress shooting? I'll pay 8. The spx, 1187 are great 600ish options. Just figure what you want. Saiga and vepr will be back soon. Rwc is setting up kash usa. They won't be "Russian" anymore.. so Obama can effectively go suck a bag of D*cks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i think i would just go with the mossberg as i dont need something super expensive and since i wont be dumping thousands of rounds threw it i dont have a problem buying high brass. i would probably get a mesa tactical pistol grip stock for it. any other companies to look at for stock options and rail solutions with extra shell holders?  also what is a good gun show price on these?
View Quote

Lightly used I've  been seeing em right at $500. New about $630-$700 I wouldnt go over that or you're getting into better shotgun territory.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want  an eat anything Semi then its a Versamax or Beretta 1301
If you dont want to spend that much then the Stoeger 3000 is it.

Its basically a Benelli M2.

You seem set on the 930 SPX though so hope it works out for you.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually the stoger 2000 or 3000 with a ext tube added is more shotgun then it's price tag.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Consider training with it more. I have ak, ars, sbr's, handguns.  But if I need to answer a bump in the night I'm still going to one of my shotguns.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The mossberg/fnh comes configured pretty much the way I want them.  Cost and ability to eat anything is next.  I can avoid certain types of ammo, not a big deal for me.  I did find a M4 on gunbroker configured the way I want but starting at $1500 used is more than I want to spend.  This thing will be sitting in the safe and only shot occasionally at the range.
View Quote

It really does sound like a Mossy 930 SPX will do it for you then. I am gonna recommend you check out M24Shooters thread on the SPX over at Weapons Evolution  he really put the platform through its paces and has alot of info on different generation guns the common issues and accessories and such. He really did run it like he stole it. Only issue I ever had with mine was that I had to bevel the back edge of my mag follower and deburr the inside of my Choate extension to stop it from hanging up loading past the 5th round, oh and pry the barrel lug spring tail out of the way so it would stop rubbing the mag tube both those took 5 minutes of work tops including walking to the garage and back.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do you have a link to the thread?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The mossberg/fnh comes configured pretty much the way I want them.  Cost and ability to eat anything is next.  I can avoid certain types of ammo, not a big deal for me.  I did find a M4 on gunbroker configured the way I want but starting at $1500 used is more than I want to spend.  This thing will be sitting in the safe and only shot occasionally at the range.

It really does sound like a Mossy 930 SPX will do it for you then. I am gonna recommend you check out M24Shooters thread on the SPX over at Weapons Evolution  he really put the platform through its paces and has alot of info on different generation guns the common issues and accessories and such. He really did run it like he stole it. Only issue I ever had with mine was that I had to bevel the back edge of my mag follower and deburr the inside of my Choate extension to stop it from hanging up loading past the 5th round, oh and pry the barrel lug spring tail out of the way so it would stop rubbing the mag tube both those took 5 minutes of work tops including walking to the garage and back.

Do you have a link to the thread?

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?167-Mossberg-930-SPX-Review
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Benelli M2 that is truly a thing of beauty. It's fed everything I've put through it including low recoil buckshot and slugs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Semiauto shotguns are notoriously unreliable.

I recommend you pass on the FN and Mossberg - both are hit or miss on reliability and a mystery to troubleshoot if you get a lemon (the majority of them are lemons by my observation).

I have a couple of Versa Maxs and they rock - robust and ultra reliable in my applicaton (3-Gun). Benelli is the gold standard. Also consider the Beretta 1301 if you want something lighter. If on a budget, look at the Stoeger 3000.

Again do NOT get the Mossberg, no matter how appealing the price. You are very likely to regret it... I see a lot of beginners in 3-Gun stubbornly pour good money after bad with that platform.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
what is the deal with 922r parts being needed for the M4???  Also seems a bit expensive @ $200 for a tube extension?
Sorry but don't know much about shotguns.  So because you are making a tactical shotgun it has to be 922r compliant?
View Quote

All import semi-autos are restricted in magazine capacity. In order to increase capacity you need to make it compliant, so you basically have to render it a US manufactured arm. To do that you can have no more than 10 foreign manufactured components. Replacement of certain components with certain US made components does this. It's become a real market. Don't listen to 3 gunners they have an unrealistic view of what constitutes reliability due to the amount and quality of ammo they consume.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm going to continue to research. Major gun show is coming up in a month so I have time to look.
View Quote

Good deal dude, I'd try to handle and shoot an example of any guns you're  interested in, weight, handling, fit and ergos, recoil etc...are very subjective things to an individual. Me I have met very few scatterguns I didn't like but most of them were doubles of certain profiles that didn't fit my frame.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:23:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I picked up a Benelli M1 tactical because I always wanted one and it was only $825 on Armslist. Ended up being $1025 once I got it "imported" into CA. Found out it won't eat birdshot worth a damn. Field loads and 00B no problem. I put a Surefire on it and perhaps the added weight is effecting it.

I'm going to try this reduced power spring next to see if it makes a difference. spring

If you can find a good deal on an M1... I would get it.... it's a thing of beauty!
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Consider training with it more. I have ak, ars, sbr's, handguns.  But if I need to answer a bump in the night I'm still going to one of my shotguns.
View Quote

I agree.  While I understand that a shotgun isn't everyone's cup of tea, it is my choice for those awkward social situations.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Chances are it is just going to be a toy at the range unless the SHTF.  It will be in the safe and not under the bed. (have other stuff laying around the house for that)
All the bad reviews about the mossberg are from a few years ago.  I'll have to do some more research on the generations of them as well.
I would no doubt get the M4 if I was planning on running it hard in matches,etc. but I will not be doing that.
View Quote

M4 is a pretty heavy gun. Pick one up if you get the chance and you'll see. Most 3 gunners are gonna recommend you buy a bird gun as that is the type they modify for use in competition and they run birdshot mostly (as do most tactical shotgun courses as 400-600 rounds of buck over 2-3 days could be abusive on the shoulder and the wallet!) So most of the complaints relate to running birdshot in a tactical semi.  I remember a few years ago guys were complaining  just as much about the Benelli M1 tacticals not cycling birdshot reliably and recommending lighter springs and such. I have two friends whom I can hand a semi 12ga to and no matter how reliable its been for me they manage to malf it. I think 90% of malfs are ammunition or user error related. My friends shoot their 20ga sporting guns fine but I, for the life of me, can't  break them of their recoil sensitivity on a tac 12ga.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#28]
If you want (1) capacity greater than 5 rounds, and (2) a pistol grip stock, and don't want to break the bank with 922r compliance parts, then you are limited to a US-made gun. As I previously indicated, you will be rolling the dice on the Mossberg... I see them choke all the time, including new ones. The Versa Max Tactical is probably your best and most drama-free option as Mesa Tactical make a very nice PG stock that bolts right on. Street price for the VM Tactical is right around $1k. If you want to spend less, good luck.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:58:25 AM EDT
[#30]
I can say I've never had a single problem with my Mossburg 500 pumps. in the 30 years I owned one and the 20 yrs I owned the other. It would still be my go to SG over the Benelli  M1 since I've trained with them so much.

I bought a new Rem 1100 for my Dad years ago and only a couple times out it failed with a broken part...  had to order a replacement part to get it in action again.

I have no experience with a Moss autoloader. Good luck with your quest...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I love my Mossberg 500 Cruiser 12ga pump.  But I've always wanted an semi-auto shotgun.  I am considering getting a 930SPX but the Remington Versamax looks good but a bit more money than the 930SPX.  The issues I heard about the 930SPX was a while ago.  That wouldn't stop me from getting one.  

Good luck to the OP in finding the gun he wants.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Initially my 930 ran everything.  I shot approximately 200 - 400 rounds through it, it only stovepiped 1 00buck reduced recoil duty load.  I then headed to a 3 gun match, I didn't want to be that guy, that brought a dirty gun and had it fail, so I cleaned it......and it failed.  Wouldn't feed rounds, wasn't even showing primer strikes.  I was pretty disgusted with it, left in my safe for a few weeks, didn't want to look at it.  Finally brought it out to my range, it still would not cycle 00buck, shot slugs fine though.  Took it home cleaned it again, now seems fine, once again shoots everything.  Not sure what happened.

Due to this, I decided to look into other options, VM, 1301, and M2.  I was leaning toward the 1301and m2, though the more I looked into it, the more I found both of those have had numerous reviews saying they can be finicky with different loads.  And there is that whole 922 thing.   So I decided to just hang on to my 930.  I may look at the VM again.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Initially my 930 ran everything.  I shot approximately 200 - 400 rounds through it, it only stovepiped 1 00buck reduced recoil duty load.  I then headed to a 3 gun match, I didn't want to be that guy, that brought a dirty gun and had it fail, so I cleaned it......and it failed.  Wouldn't feed rounds, wasn't even showing primer strikes.  I was pretty disgusted with it, left in my safe for a few weeks, didn't want to look at it.  Finally brought it out to my range, it still would not cycle 00buck, shot slugs fine though.  Took it home cleaned it again, now seems fine, once again shoots everything.  Not sure what happened.

Due to this, I decided to look into other options, VM, 1301, and M2.  I was leaning toward the 1301and m2, though the more I looked into it, the more I found both of those have had numerous reviews saying they can be finicky with different loads.  And there is that whole 922 thing.   So I decided to just hang on to my 930.  I may look at the VM again.
View Quote

Judging by your location and the fact that your 930 goes from working one day to malfing another I think it may be weather related. There is an Oregon based 3 gun team running Mossberg 930 JM Pros that figured out both the problem and the fix check out the link and watch their videos for an explanation  of what's  happening with your 930.

http://www.oregun.com/OR3GUN/about_or3gun_marine.htm

And light primer strikes was a problem with early 930's related either weak hammer spring or firing pin and spring. Also it can be from the bolt not going fully into battery if it's short cycling like in the Or3gun video. Call, don't  email,  Mossberg and tell them you're experiencing  light primer strikes and the should ship you a new springs and hopefully be able to tell you what length your firing pin should be.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Cool, thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top