Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2015 12:54:19 AM EDT
I like the unique look and the wood also. I inherited grandpa's full length Auto 5 a few years back and while I won't chop grand pappy's gun I think I'd like to pursue getting an old beater that runs and do some work on it.
I know I've seen a picture of one on here recently so it's been done.
Could any of you folks give me any tips on what I'd be getting myself into from the standpoint of making it run properly when shortened to possibly 12". I've got suppressor's, an AOW and a couple of SBR's so my question is not in regards to the NFA side of things.
Just any tips you could give would be awesome.

Thank you,

Nate

Edited to change the title from SBR to SBS.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:01:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I like the unique look and the wood also. I inherited grandpa's full length Auto 5 a few years back and while I won't chop grand pappy's gun I think I'd like to pursue getting an old beater that runs and do some work on it.
I know I've seen a picture of one on here recently so it's been done.
Could any of you folks give me any tips on what I'd be getting myself into from the standpoint of making it run properly when shortened to possibly 12". I've got suppressor's, an AOW and a couple of SBR's so my question is not in regards to the NFA side of things.
Just any tips you could give would be awesome.

Thank you,

Nate
View Quote

SBR? I don't think so. Maybe a SBS though.
I've heard that the design is condusive to running well with a short barrel.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:05:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Right, I knew better than that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:41:02 AM EDT
[#3]
There are some "also rans" that are the same design like the Rem 11 and Stevens 720 (a couple others too) that sell for less.  I have been tempted to do this same conversion.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:04:52 AM EDT
[#4]
M4Tuna has one and it is sweet!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Supposedly Bonnie Parker preferred a 20 gauge Remington Model 11. Model 11's also use a bolt buffer to keep the bolt from beating the receiver to death the Savage and Browning guns didn't  have this and the bolts will crack if they pound the back of the receiver too much. I think I remember that Clyde Barrow used a fairly skilled but corrupt gunsmith to do mods to his guns.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That was Hyman Lebman, he did guns for the Barrows, Baby Face Nelson, John Dillinger, Homer Van Meter and others.
View Quote

St. Paul based? Edit: Never mind found he was in San Antonio. Must've  been Dillinger's mechanic I was thinking of
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a Remington Model 11 for this purpose last week. I am going to add a plus one mag extension and cut the barrel flush with the extension, around 15 or so inches. I love the looks of that style shotgun cut down. It is hard to beat the older guns once you get them tweaked to cycle your intended load reliably.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Check the buffer to make sure its not dried out or cracked. You can get a new buffer and rivet if it is but you have to drill out the old rivet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I picked up a Remington Model 11 for this purpose last week. I am going to add a plus one mag extension and cut the barrel flush with the extension, around 15 or so inches. I love the looks of that style shotgun cut down. It is hard to beat the older guns once you get them tweaked to cycle your intended load reliably.
View Quote

You get the opportunity to show us all how it's done, via a build thread. Think of it as community service. No pressure, it would be awesome though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You get the opportunity to show us all how it's done, via a build thread. Think of it as community service. No pressure, it would be awesome though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good. I have the gun stripped now. I don't have a very good before pic but I will see what I can come up with.

I am starting with a 1930 model Remington Model 11 12ga. The stocks are in good shape. The rear stock shows having been repaired right where it meets the receiver. It was a small chip the was epoxied back in place. The gun has been duracoated black, so I don't feel too bad about hacking it up. I plan to submit my Form 1 later in the week. I plan to add a plus one mag extension, refinish the stocks, cut the barrel to around 15 inches, and have it threaded for stocks.

Once I start to work on it I will put up some pics of the progress.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is my shortened Auto 5, This is a "American Browning" that was manufactured during WWII  by Remington for Browning after the Nazi's overran the FN factory in Belgium. It's not quite a Remington M11 or a Browning Auto 5 but a hybrid of both. I was able to buy it for very little money and was really happy to acquire it. I shortened the barrel with a plumbers pipe cutter, then  I heated up the the stub with a welding torch and removed the Poly Choke from the cut off barrel section and re brazed it back on to the shortened barrel.  I bought the used remington + 2 extension off ebay and installed it along with an AR  qd sling adapter. I love this shotgun and so does everyone who shoots it. I actually like the look of the Poly Choke and it's very functional for switching between slugs and buck shot. Below are some links to some crappy pics, my post count is to low for me to post pics in the thread. Not an sbs, but maybe someday.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Dang off to find another project gun
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here is my shortened Auto 5, This is a "American Browning" that was manufactured during WWII  by Remington for Browning after the Nazi's overran the FN factory in Belgium. It's not quite a Remington M11 or a Browning Auto 5 but a hybrid of both. I was able to buy it for very little money and was really happy to acquire it. I shortened the barrel with a plumbers pipe cutter, then  I heated up the the stub with a welding torch and removed the Poly Choke from the cut off barrel section and re brazed it back on to the shortened barrel.  I bought the used remington + 2 extension off ebay and installed it along with an AR  qd sling adapter. I love this shotgun and so does everyone who shoots it. I actually like the look of the Poly Choke and it's very functional for switching between slugs and buck shot. Below are some links to some crappy pics, my post count is to low for me to post pics in the thread. Not an sbs, but maybe someday.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/uv8ji2xg3a3v7mu/AAAdwweFUTgs6K1N16uArkBIa

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pdujunltp3x7z8x/AADJUbVFY4zDhD45pCHvAFeCa

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/3q8nhbnhw46lkfq/AABvnMxAAaY2pIr6p4XuutlXa
View Quote

That is sweet, love the Poly choke! If I can find another barrel for my 720 this may be the ticket!  How long did the barrel have to be to avoid the choke recoiling into the forend?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/uv8ji2xg3a3v7mu/AAAdwweFUTgs6K1N16uArkBIa

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pdujunltp3x7z8x/AADJUbVFY4zDhD45pCHvAFeCa

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/3q8nhbnhw46lkfq/AABvnMxAAaY2pIr6p4XuutlXa
View Quote

nice!

Tell us more about your shotgun loads as well please.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That is sweet, love the Poly choke! If I can find another barrel for my 720 this may be the ticket!  How long did the barrel have to be to avoid the choke recoiling into the forend?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had three goals in my when I re brazed the Poly Choke back on the shortened barrel:

1) Make sure the barrel with the permanent parts of the Poly Choke were at least 18 inches.

2) Make sure the vents in the poly choke were forward of the magazine extension.

3) Make sure the Poly Choke cleared the fore end during recoil.

Here are 2 links to crappy closeup pics of the muzzle and fore end.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

nice!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice!

00 Buckshot Load:

Fiocchi primed hulls

44grs Blue Dot

WAA12R wad

10 00 buckshot stacked in 2's (500 grain load)

Dial the Poly Choke to modified and it's puts all ten on a silhouette at 25 yds. (most of the time)

Lyman 525 grain Sabot Slug Load:

Fiocchi primed hull

46 grs Blue Dot

WAA12R wad

3/16 16ga fiber base wad in the shot cup for height

Lyman slug and crimp.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm working on a Savage 720 SBS w/ 13" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm working on a Savage 720 SBS w/ 13" barrel.
View Quote

That I need to see!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Bump to try and stir up some updates on these SBS projects.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:41:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I recently acquired an old Model 11 to do this to. I have a Form 1 pending on it and the barrel is getting chopped to 13" when approved.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I recently acquired an old Model 11 to do this to. I have a Form 1 pending on it and the barrel is getting chopped to 13" when approved.
View Quote

I can't wait, every time I go into Cabela's I check out the Auto 5's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top