Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2015 6:10:25 PM EDT
Hi guys.  New here.

I'm experiencing a problem.   I'm trying to install a new fore end on my mid-90s Remington 870 Express but the existing fore end doesn't want to come off.   I'm depressing the left shell latch to disengage the action bars, as instructed in the manual, but the action bars only slide forward ever so slightly (about 1/4") and do not budge any further from that point.   I've checked to see if the bolt and slide is hindered or obstructed but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Any suggestions on how I can get the fore end to budge?   I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Push both of them and kind of wiggle the forearm back and forth.  It will cone off.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You will need one of this tools at some time to get the fore end off.

Fore end tool
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Alternative Forend tool:

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Freeing both right and left action bars?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You have to depress each shell latch to get the forend off. I use a piece of aluminum bar stock clamped in a pair of vice grips as a wrench for forends.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, according to Remington's manual, I should only have to depress the LEFT shell latch.  Says noting about the right one.  Is there any other reason this would be happening?

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, according to Remington's manual, I should only have to depress the LEFT shell latch.  Says noting about the right one.  Is there any other reason this would be happening?

View Quote

The top of the slide may bind on the ejection port.  Note that for reassembly you WILL have to depress both shell latches.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#8]
When you get to the nut that holds the fore stock on, you can use a pair of needle nose pliers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've  always had to depress left shell latch pull forward then right shell latch and out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:39:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Fredman, I read that part and I'm pretty certain it's clearing the ejection port but I'll try again tomorrow (too frustrated right now lol).  

tsg68, I'll try your technique again as well.

Thanks to all for your replies.  I'll try all recommendations and report my results (or lack thereof lol).

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:43:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've  always had to depress left shell latch pull forward then right shell latch and out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

I guess you can kind of yank it past, but it's a lot easier just to press down each shell latch in turn.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:38:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is better worded than my advice.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't depress the right latch because it already gets depressed by a "notch" in the rail when it moves forward.  The only latch I can depress is the left one.  I can't understand what I'm doing wrong.  The youtube videos I've seen make it seem effortless.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Push the left shell latch, slide forward slightly, then push the right shell latch. You may have to hold the right shell latch down and move the forearm back and forth slightly to find the sweet spot.

If that doesn't work, take it to your LGS or find a local, knowledgeable person that can help. Also, if your local PD/Sheriff's Office has a Firearms Training Staff or Remington Armorer, they can show you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for your reply cmshoot, but I already tried all possible combinations of pushing latches and wiggling the fore end and then some.  The fore end just doesn't want to slide out.  Something is holding it up.  But it's a mystery to me 'cause I checked the ejector pin is undamaged and that the breech bolt and slide aren't getting hung up somewhere.  All's clear but this darned thing doesn't want to cooperate!  I don't know what I could possibly be doing wrong which is why I sought advice on this forum.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#16]
The magazine cap and barrel have been removed, correct?

ETA: where in PA? If your close, I am a 870 armorer
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes Fozzie the cap and barrel are removed.

I'm in Bethlehem PA
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#18]
PS Fozzie:  Many people are also suggesting I depress the right latch too.  But that latch already gets depressed by a "notch" in the rail when they are moving forward.  Have you ever encountered such an issue?  I just can't imagine it to be this difficult.  The vidoes I've seen make it appear effortless.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:40:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Those notches are the only thing stopping it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Those notches are the only thing stopping it.
View Quote

Yes, you have to stick your finger into the loading port right at the mag tube and fully depress each shell latch into their groove in the receiver if it's  not fully pushed into the recess it will bind on the action arms. I use the tips of my fingers. Drop the trigger plate out to get a better look but you will see that the shell latches have notches too. I bet the right latch needs to be pressed in deeper to release the arm. It gets pushed flush during standard cycling but still captures the pump arm unless you push it till it bottoms out in its recess. Both shell latches are springs,  remember that, sometimes the have too much inward tension or may be bent and need to be tuned.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Yea i only have to depress the left one to remove it. However when installing it back in, i do the right one first then the left  one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Every  870 I have taken apart I have had to depress both shell stops to remove the forend assembly. First the left and then the right. Everyone in this post has so far has been spot on. I would say come over and we can swap out your forends but I am about 2 hours north of you. 5 min job with about a 4 hour drive. Up to you if you want to take the ride. Let me know.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Fozzie, thanks for the generous offer but the gas exepense would kill me lol (I have a gas guzzling Tahoe).  I will persevere and try again with both latches, focusing on the right one which I've been neglecting.  If I fail once again, I'm gonna take it to a local smith.  On a side note, Remington needs to update their manual because nowhere in there did it say to depress the right latch.  

And thanks to everyone who replied to help.  My sincerest thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top