Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#1]
A PGO is not a Shotgun its a other/firearm per the ATF that is why it can be done.

Just like a pistol can go rifle pistol rifle all you want. And a rifle is always a rifle no matter what. A shotgun is always a shotgun a PGO is a firearm untill a stock is added then its a shotgun. Now I guess if you had the time and money you might end up with the same verdict as the pistol rifle thing.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Would this also mean that any shotgun could legally be converted to a 14" barreled version with shockwave grip, not just a PGO shotgun?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So...United States v. Thompson-Center Arms Co. doesn't apply to a PG firearm?  

If a pistol can be converted to a carbine, and back, shouldn't a PG firearm be convertible to a shotgun (stock + 18.5" barrel) and back?

Or would it take another court case to settle that?

Would this also mean that any shotgun could legally be converted to a 14" barreled version with shockwave grip, not just a PGO shotgun?

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a pistol can be converted to a carbine, and back, shouldn't a PG firearm be convertible to a shotgun (stock + 18.5" barrel) and back?

No the TC contender sold as bare actions or pistols are covered by the ruling, TC carbines sold with a stock are rifles and require a form 1 before you can fit them with a pistol barrel legally.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know if these are factory PGO Moss 500s?  $150...

http://summitgunbroker.com/moss--500-pg.html

Eta: correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he's right about making an AOW is a $5 stamp, pretty sure manufacturing an AOW must be done from a virgin receiver and is $200 to manufacture.  Would be $5 to transfer or buy a factory AOW
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Eta: correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he's right about making an AOW is a $5 stamp, pretty sure manufacturing an AOW must be done from a virgin receiver and is $200 to manufacture.  Would be $5 to transfer or buy a factory AOW
View Quote

$200 to make, $5 transfer on AOWs. Unless your a sot manufacturer .
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#5]
most people have no clue on what is NFA and what is not NFA. Regardless of what the rules/laws are if you skirt them then the average cop is not going to know and even waving a paper in front of them saying its legal I bet you take the ride.

With that said I just finished my non nfa firearm :) with a mossberg maverick 88 PG the mossberg 14" kit and the shockwave grip. Total cost was around 500 bucks for all new parts. and I still have the full front end from the maverick I can sell and recoup a bit of cash.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

No way to tell without running the serial by Mossberg. I wouldn't trust it though...once a stock has been on it, even once, it's a shotgun...
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I already inquired Mark about that one. It has been sold.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I already inquired Mark about that one. It has been sold.
View Quote

Oh I figured he had a bunch of them to sell.  Oh, well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I just picked up a Mossberg Rolling Thunder (ugliest shotgun in existence) for $300 to convert. I removed the tactical cigar holder as soon as I got it home. I also ordered the raptor grip. Instead of dropping another $200 on a complete front end, is there any reason I shouldn't just have the barrel cut even with the mag tube cap? Barrel would be roughly 14.75" and the whole project would be under $400.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#10]
save yourself the cash and just cut it yourself. It is easy to do
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Thought I saw just such a vid on YT, not so long ago..

And bear in mind - the shorter the barrel, the lower the recoil energy. The recoil impulse effectively ends once the ejecta leaves the muzzle.. Two inches fewer means that much lower recoil energy - the forces are equal for the most part, but delivered for a shorter period of time.

The longer the acceleration phase, the greater the KE imparted to both the projectile and the launcher - and vice versa.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No!!!!

Once a shotgun, always a shotgun.  IMHO, not a lawyer, one could build a 14" non NFA gun from a PGO weapon.  One could then put an 18 barrel back on the PGO and a shoulder stock.  This would now and forever be a shotgun and not legal to change back to the PGO 14" configuration.  There would be a high burden of proof that a shoulder stock had ever been attached.  I still don't want to catch a case as I can't afford the legal fees.  A PGO weapon is 3-400 dollars.  

Thompson Center case applies to pistols. A mossberg cruiser while not a shotgun is NOT a pistol. If it came from Mossberg with a rifled barrel......Hmmmm. Would that be a pistol?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just picked up a Mossberg Rolling Thunder (ugliest shotgun in existence) for $300 to convert. I removed the tactical cigar holder as soon as I got it home. I also ordered the raptor grip. Instead of dropping another $200 on a complete front end, is there any reason I shouldn't just have the barrel cut even with the mag tube cap? Barrel would be roughly 14.75" and the whole project would be under $400.
View Quote

Shockwave sells a lug to use with a sawn off barrel and magazine.  

If the sawn off barrel and grip combo stays over 26" yes, it would be legal.  

I have the PGO Mossberg and am dancing around the 14" front end for 200 bucks and selling the PG, barrel and magazine tube to recoup most of th cost or just hacksawing it.  

The nice thing about the 14" barrel is that it won't easily fit my Mossberg 500 with a shoulder stock.  No constructive intent to own an untaxed SBS.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Phase 1 complete.  Now to buy the 14" front end.  

I had planned to sell the leftover parts to at least partially fund this project.  Then I get on gunbroker and see a Mossberg receiver for sale.  .  

Probably getting two new to me guns out of this.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s258.photobucket.com/user/stephenbinion/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-03/0C3E74C6-66CA-43B8-86E0-E94455404D6D.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/stephenbinion/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-03/0C3E74C6-66CA-43B8-86E0-E94455404D6D.jpg</a>

I had planned to sell the leftover parts to at least partially fund this project.  Then I get on gunbroker and see a Mossberg receiver for sale.  .  

View Quote

Nice! Finding a receiver was a good thing too! Can't have enough shotties Mind if I ask how much you ended up paying for the receiver?
You mentioned the lug to use on a cut down barrel instead of buying a whole new front end. I can't find that lug on their website. Got a link?
My LGS refuses to order me a "PGO" shotgun. Says he'll have nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nice! Finding a receiver was a good thing too! Can't have enough shotties Mind if I ask how much you ended up paying for the receiver?
You mentioned the lug to use on a cut down barrel instead of buying a whole new front end. I can't find that lug on their website. Got a link?
My LGS refuses to order me a "PGO" shotgun. Says he'll have nothing to do with it.
View Quote

Haven't bought a receiver just price checked them. 40 bucks or so stripped.

Lug

You need a new gun store!
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/stephenbinion/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-03/0C3E74C6-66CA-43B8-86E0-E94455404D6D.jpg

View Quote
That's where I'm at, but mine has the threaded barrel from the tactical cigar holder. I'm going to cut flush with disassembly screw. Waiting on m Hogue forend to arrive too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Haven't bought a receiver just price checked them. 40 bucks or so stripped.

Lug

You need a new gun store!
View Quote

Thanks! I agree...I'm working on it. Not many options in my neck of the woods! At least not any better options.
I looked at the lug and read your post about being concerned about "intent" with another Mossberg 500 laying around. An option would be to silver solder the roll pin then duracoat or even rustoleum or krylon over it? Sort of like pinning and welding a flash hider on a 14.5" AR.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks! I agree...I'm working on it. Not many options in my neck of the woods! At least not any better options.
I looked at the lug and read your post about being concerned about "intent" with another Mossberg 500 laying around. An option would be to silver solder the roll pin then duracoat or even rustoleum or krylon over it? Sort of like pinning and welding a flash hider on a 14.5" AR.
View Quote

The lug is a permanent modification. It wouldn't easily swap to another gun. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not liking the lug.  Maybe I'm a snob but that seems bubba to me...
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I'm not a fan either. Do it right, it only costs a little more to go first class and you'll be happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:14:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
 Mind if I ask how much you ended up paying for the receiver?
View Quote

No idea what he paid, but I found a bare receiver on gunbroker a couple years ago for $50. Seller was an  in-state FFL so I went and got it FTF. No idea if it was a virgin receiver or not, bought it to fix a 500 with a bad ejector screw hole(my dad borrowed the gun, I didn't know the screw was loose. He fired and cycled it, bolt caught the screw and stripped the hole). $50 for the receiver was cheaper n paying a local smith to fit an oversize screw or shipping the gun back to Mossberg for repair, paying for the repair, and paying return shipping. Got a little money in trade value for the old receiver too so it ended up even cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm not a fan either. Do it right, it only costs a little more to go first class and you'll be happy with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  If you're bent on cutting it yourself, I think the end result would look neater, albeit not as short, if you cut the barrel flush with the end of the existing mag tube.  How long would that resulting barrel be? Anyone know?
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I agree.  If you're bent on cutting it yourself, I think the end result would look neater, albeit not as short, if you cut the barrel flush with the end of the existing mag tube.  How long would that resulting barrel be? Anyone know?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

14.75" more or less. Break out a tape measure before you cut anything. This game is measure 3 times, check it once more and then cut it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Those are two beautiful guns and it is sad that those are the last two I will build.

Mossberg did officially pull the plug on 14" parts. I am a manufacturer and even I can no longer get the parts from them.

I have considered buying 14" factory guns and having them removed from the registry and parting them out but the parts would end up costing a little more (retail wise) than I sell them for currently.

And because these conversions are cost prohibitive to begin with I don't think there would be much demand.

The ATF has been talking about this issue (the whole pistol grip = DD) since at least 2011 if not longer, but have yet to figure a solution. It is likely they will never address it.

While I do have parts on hand to do a few more builds, I just haven't decided what to do with them yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So based on my experience this last week I thought I would share regarding the 14" barrel Mossburg 500.

I purchased two of them last week from Auger Precision. Link

Upon receipt by my FFL he wanted to double check the legality before transfer and contacted the ATF.

Initially the first agent on the phone said that based on the description they were NFA-AOW.

My FFL explained the ATF Tech Branch Letter accompanying the shipment and its contents.

The ATF agent then requested copies of the letter, photos, and measurements of the guns.

About an hour after receiving the letter, photos, and length measurement (26 1/2") the ATF called back and said they were good to transfer as an "other firearm" and were not NFA.

I finally took possession yesterday.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7794/17820445680_999e4d964e_c.jpg

Those are two beautiful guns and it is sad that those are the last two I will build.

Mossberg did officially pull the plug on 14" parts. I am a manufacturer and even I can no longer get the parts from them.

I have considered buying 14" factory guns and having them removed from the registry and parting them out but the parts would end up costing a little more (retail wise) than I sell them for currently.

And because these conversions are cost prohibitive to begin with I don't think there would be much demand.

The ATF has been talking about this issue (the whole pistol grip = DD) since at least 2011 if not longer, but have yet to figure a solution. It is likely they will never address it.

While I do have parts on hand to do a few more builds, I just haven't decided what to do with them yet.

FYI. We just purchased 3 complete conversions directly from Mossberg! No issue getting them either! Cost wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either...... BUT finding a distributed who had pistol grip cruisers actually in stock was a whole other issue
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

FYI. We just purchased 3 complete conversions directly from Mossberg! No issue getting them either! Cost wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either...... BUT finding a distributed who had pistol grip cruisers actually in stock was a whole other issue
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So based on my experience this last week I thought I would share regarding the 14" barrel Mossburg 500.

I purchased two of them last week from Auger Precision. Link

Upon receipt by my FFL he wanted to double check the legality before transfer and contacted the ATF.

Initially the first agent on the phone said that based on the description they were NFA-AOW.

My FFL explained the ATF Tech Branch Letter accompanying the shipment and its contents.

The ATF agent then requested copies of the letter, photos, and measurements of the guns.

About an hour after receiving the letter, photos, and length measurement (26 1/2") the ATF called back and said they were good to transfer as an "other firearm" and were not NFA.

I finally took possession yesterday.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7794/17820445680_999e4d964e_c.jpg

Good to know!  Please share a link or how to order.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#27]
The UPC code is  015813925143 just google it and it should list several sellers. I got it from budsgunshop for 216 shipped a month or so ago. Opticsplanet also had them Thats the full front end with barrel.

If you dont want to wait you can also get a maveric 88 pistol grip. Its gloss black and not the same color as the Mossburg.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The UPC code is  015813925143 just google it and it should list several sellers. I got it from budsgunshop for 216 shipped a month or so ago. Opticsplanet also had them Thats the full front end with barrel.

If you dont want to wait you can also get a maveric 88 pistol grip. Its gloss black and not the same color as the Mossburg.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  I found it as you said.  Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#29]
That is what I paid from mossberg direct...  not hard to find and it seems the cruisers are harder at the moment. Found some but will wait on the breachers so I can sell them to get some money back
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Ordered 3.... Thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
14.75" more or less. Break out a tape measure before you cut anything. This game is measure 3 times, check it once more and then cut it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it would be 15.5" on mine to the end of the screw. End of mag tube would be a bit shorter.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

I was looking at them how much do they charge for shipping? don't want to enter my info and all the other to try to place  order for one to find out.
I also been looking for a good used cruiser/persuader but I can not find any at all so I'm going to have to buy a new one but some places are selling them around the $400 and only a few are selling them at the $300. I also purchased my Mossberg 14in front end kit from www.exilemachine.com for $195.80 plus $9.99 for shipping $205.79 total.
Mossberg wanted $240 plus $20+ in shipping and others I have found that they want $220+ shipping.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I was looking at them how much do they charge for shipping? don't want to enter my info and all the other to try to place  order for one to find out.
I also been looking for a good used cruiser/persuader but I can not find any at all so I'm going to have to buy a new one but some places are selling them around the $400 and only a few are selling them at the $300. I also purchased my Mossberg 14in front end kit from www.exilemachine.com for $195.80 plus $9.99 for shipping $205.79 total.
Mossberg wanted $240 plus $20+ in shipping and others I have found that they want $220+ shipping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Reading some of the posts here, makes me wonder if it's worth the $200 extra parts to save 1.5" of barrel.
I'm going to start hunting around for a cruiser PGO and cut it down to the tube - as long as it's 26", we are good to go.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Reading some of the posts here, makes me wonder if it's worth the $200 extra parts to save 1.5" of barrel.
I'm going to start hunting around for a cruiser PGO and cut it down to the tube - as long as it's 26", we are good to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you put one in your hand you will think otherwise..... But if money is an issue then sure cut down a factory barrel
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:01:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Does anywhere know where to get a 590 receiver only? It'd nice to buy the receiver  and start the form 1 process since places sell the front end kit now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't believe they sell virgin receiver of any model. The closest to a PGO 590 (non NFA) would be the PGO breacher model that has the park finish, nylon strap on forearm, the heavy wall bbl and the 590 style she'll tube/end cap. It's marked as a 500 but for all practical purposes it's spec'd like a 590 (still has plastic trigger and safety so it's not like a 590A1). If you want a 590 to SBS on a F1, why not just buy a factory NFA 590 with the 14" front end on an F4? Some used ones were recently sold for, IIRC, $260. Should be cheaper that way than rolling your own and engraving.

ETA -The PGO 500 with 590 like features I mentioned is the 500 Tactical Cruiser model #54125
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#38]
I must say this is my most useless firearm I own.....but the cool factor makes it soo worth it
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't believe they sell virgin receiver of any model. The closest to a PGO 590 (non NFA) would be the PGO breacher model that has the park finish, nylon strap on forearm, the heavy wall bbl and the 590 style she'll tube/end cap. It's marked as a 500 but for all practical purposes it's spec'd like a 590 (still has plastic trigger and safety so it's not like a 590A1). If you want a 590 to SBS on a F1, why not just buy a factory NFA 590 with the 14" front end on an F4? Some used ones were recently sold for, IIRC, $260. Should be cheaper that way than rolling your own and engraving.

ETA -The PGO 500 with 590 like features I mentioned is the 500 Tactical Cruiser model #54125
View Quote

Correct, I was lucky enough to snag a SBS 590a1 for $260 before they sold out, I'm very happy with it (it's currently in jail).  These non-NFA guns are still pretty freaking cool though
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I just ordered my pistol grip only Mossberg from www.impactguns.com for $298.99 + $12.99 shipping= $311.98

http://www.impactguns.com/mossberg-500-persuader-12g-20-in-50588mustbe21yrsold-015813505888.aspx
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Got a bottle of Un-Cure ca glue remover to break the lock tite.  

3 drops to form a meniscus and 30 seconds or so I could unscrew the magazine tube by hand.

I saw the bit earlier about the synthetic wine cork posted above.  I had a black one from Black Swan wine.  I whittled it to just fit.  Mortared it in like you clear an M16 jam.  It was driven home with four or five whacks.  I then shaved it to fit the shockwave grip.  Looks factory from a few feet.  You might sand it, I don't know?

ETA: Anyone want some un-cure???
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Just an FYI .... If you order from Mossberg directly they take FOREVER to ship... We have an account and they told us it would be delivered by the end of last week. Well here it is Monday and we called on it, still hasn't shipped......7-10 days processing time per order! Yes we get dealer discount but not worth the extra time
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just an FYI .... If you order from Mossberg directly they take FOREVER to ship... We have an account and they told us it would be delivered by the end of last week. Well here it is Monday and we called on it, still hasn't shipped......7-10 days processing time per order! Yes we get dealer discount but not worth the extra time
View Quote

As someone posted above Exile Machine has them for $200, that's a stupid good price
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

As someone posted above Exile Machine has them for $200, that's a stupid good price
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed..... I was not the one who ordered... The one who likes to control everything ordered and after he did I rubbed it in that other places have them and ship faster... He was not as amused as I was! but in the end I will have a killer toy
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Kinda spent my gun fund for the month so if anyone here needs a pg 500 check out summit gunbroker. Mark just got one in. Its going for $195
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Got a bottle of Un-Cure ca glue remover to break the lock tite.  

3 drops to form a meniscus and 30 seconds or so I could unscrew the magazine tube by hand.

I saw the bit earlier about the synthetic wine cork posted above.  I had a black one from Black Swan wine.  I whittled it to just fit.  Mortared it in like you clear an M16 jam.  It was driven home with four or five whacks.  I then shaved it to fit the shockwave grip.  Looks factory from a few feet.  You might sand it, I don't know?

ETA: Anyone want some un-cure???
View Quote
I put the mag tube in barrel vise clamps and used my Knipex pliers to turn the receiver. Mag tube came out easily.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#47]
just my luck I just ordered a pgo persuader the other day.

Quoted:
Kinda spent my gun fund for the month so if anyone here needs a pg 500 check out summit gunbroker. Mark just got one in. Its going for $195
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Prolly not a factory PGO anyway
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be easy to buy, check with Mossberg, then sell if it wasnt.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I was wondering after you remove the magazine tube and get ready to install the new tube do any of you put new blue Loctite or anti seize on or just nothing.
I  would appreciate any information and help on this matter
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top