Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Took mine out today for the first time.  Have had it over a week now and haven't found the time.  Let me say, I'm not a shotgun guy.  I own a Remington 1100 that I inherited at my uncle's passing, and I bought a VEPR 12.  Sure, they're cool, but they're not something I reach for very often.  When I saw the Shockwave, I had to have one.  I didn't know why, but the heavens opened and hark the herald angel sing.  Sure, it's a Raptor birdshead grip and they've had pistol grip variety shotguns out forever.  I've even nearly purchased the Just In Case Cruiser before...but...never did.  Shotguns just weren't my thing.

Took 75 shells to play with the Shockwave today...and I'll be damned if it isn't one of the most fun range times I've had in quite a while.  It's plenty manageable contrary to the naysayers that a 14" shotgun is uncontrollable.  Use some common sense and the bead has a purpose out in front of you with a firm support hand forward and a bent grip hand...making sure to keep the firearm about 6" out in front of your face.  Or shoot from the hip.  

Set up some clays in the mud and was having an absolute blast picking them off while running and gunning.  

The Shockwave is that shotgun experience I've been looking for all this time.  I full-heartedly believe this is a firearm I will reach for often when choosing what to bring to the range. If you're on the fence, just do yourself a favor and buy yourself one.  You owe it to yourself.  Taking mine out again tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Took mine out today for the first time.  Have had it over a week now and haven't found the time.  Let me say, I'm not a shotgun guy.  I own a Remington 1100 that I inherited at my uncle's passing, and I bought a VEPR 12.  Sure, they're cool, but they're not something I reach for very often.  When I saw the Shockwave, I had to have one.  I didn't know why, but the heavens opened and hark the herald angel sing.  Sure, it's a Raptor birdshead grip and they've had pistol grip variety shotguns out forever.  I've even nearly purchased the Just In Case Cruiser before...but...never did.  Shotguns just weren't my thing.

Took 75 shells to play with the Shockwave today...and I'll be damned if it isn't one of the most fun range times I've had in quite a while.  It's plenty manageable contrary to the naysayers that a 14" shotgun is uncontrollable.  Use some common sense and the bead has a purpose out in front of you with a firm support hand forward and a bent grip hand...making sure to keep the firearm about 6" out in front of your face.  Or shoot from the hip.  

Set up some clays in the mud and was having an absolute blast picking them off while running and gunning.  

The Shockwave is that shotgun experience I've been looking for all this time.  I full-heartedly believe this is a firearm I will reach for often when choosing what to bring to the range. If you're on the fence, just do yourself a favor and buy yourself one.  You owe it to yourself.  Taking mine out again tomorrow.  
View Quote
Great review. Think you have convinced me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For those that want a brief review:

Awesome.  Hilarious.  And FUN.  Oh, and if you need to breach a door the option is there for you.  For $350...there's nothing to not like with these.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Could someone please clarify the capacity of this firearm?  Is it six 3" rounds in the magazine tube?  Or five 3" rounds in the tube and one in the chamber?  Or possibly 4 rounds in the tube, one in the chamber and one on the carrier?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was thinking the magpul forend for the light but want the strap for safety. Looking at the XS Big Dot, a shotgun card with Velcro and some sling option  
View Quote
I was planning on getting the Magpul forend for it, and simply attaching the Mossberg strap to it...it is only attached by 4 screws...should be easy enough.  

Yes, it does fit in the Voodoo Tactical 19" scabbard with the side saddle attached.

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Could someone please clarify the capacity of this firearm?  Is it six 3" rounds in the magazine tube?  Or five 3" rounds in the tube and one in the chamber?  Or possibly 4 rounds in the tube, one in the chamber and one on the carrier?
View Quote
3" = 4+1
2 3/4"= 5+1
1 3/4" = 8+1

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was planning on getting the Magpul fore end for it, and simply attaching the Mossberg strap to it...it is only attached by 4 screws...should be easy enough.  

Yes, it does fit in the Voodoo Tactical 19" scabbard with the side saddle attached.

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff359/quietm4/IMG_0373_zpswjo0nzha.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the magpul fore end for the light but want the strap for safety. Looking at the XS Big Dot, a shotgun card with Velcro and some sling option  
I was planning on getting the Magpul fore end for it, and simply attaching the Mossberg strap to it...it is only attached by 4 screws...should be easy enough.  

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff359/quietm4/IMG_0373_zpswjo0nzha.jpg
Check how Suarez Int. made their version of the 14" barrel 870 Stakeout with Magpul M-Lok forend. They used sling swivels with a nylon strap and it also gives you a place to mount a flashlight. Buying the forend as I type this !!!!!

https://suarezinternational.com/remington-870-stakeout-12-gauge-tier-one/
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the link.  That's the $60 solution...or I can just get a screwdriver and remove the strap from the mossberg forend and screw it into a magpul forend.  I'm having a hell of a time locally sourcing the magpul fore end, so as soon as I can order/install one I will post a new pic.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Who had the pic of one of these 14'inch non nfa SG's with a heat shield on it? It looked badass......

Anyone?
View Quote
cant upload pic
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Got a link ?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll mirror this guy's experience.

My shop called me that they had two in.  Buddy that works there got one and they knew I was looking for one.  So up that day and got it.

Immediately took it to the range with a box of birdshot and some Rio buckshot.   Can't setup things to shoot at but I wanted to see the patterning at 20yds and experience just what it was like.

Fucking awesome fun!

You can hold it up and sight it with birdshot without much difficulty.  Blasting it from the hip wasn't a problem and everywhere I wanted the spread to go, it went there.

Rio buckshot was another story.  Big flash and quite a kick, but I rested my hand (not grip) against the side of my hip and that controlled it without any issues.

Going to get some grip-tape for the bird's head grip, and probably shorten the strap on the fore end.

All in all, extremely fun!  
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Do NOT !DO NOT use the BlackHawk sling adapter that fits between the grip and receiver!!

Open my hand up!!!! Those adapters should be illegal!

Quoted:
For those thinking about adding a sling:

Do not use the mounts that attach between the receiver and the Raptor grip.  Your hand will eventually make contact with the sling mount when you shoot it.

Ask me how I know........
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if truck bed liner would make a good textured grip. I've done that with rifle stocks with good results in the past.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Took the Shockwave out again today.  Tried out Aguila mini-shell slugs with the Op-Sol adapter.  Functioned flawlessly and they were like shooting nothing.  Hit their intended target with a punch, though.  Was shooting at a pie plate on an Evil Roy and it was bouncing back good.  Some full sized slugs were definitely a bit more of a handful but you can shoot them.  Father-in-law loved it and was laughing hysterically.  

I'll tell you the short barrel definitely ain't worth a shit in trap, though.  Not that I expected it to be but I was getting a little wild with its uses today.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff359/quietm4/cec453ab-b6a7-4676-abd8-4ca78aa47066_zpsdyhghazm.jpg
View Quote
MOE forend needs to be modified to fit onto Shockwave.  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_1/428232_.html&page=1 Thanks to @brazos609 for that thread.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#17]
If you get the 14" barrel threaded for chokes and use the right choke for shooting clays I think it would surprise many. I plan to get mine choked maybe send it off soon. I'm excited to get it choked. LoL
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Who had the pic of one of these 14'inch non nfa SG's with a heat shield on it? It looked badass......

Anyone?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#19]
What am I missing. Why can't I find any info on adding a vertical grip forend to the Mossberg Shockwave such as this?

Is it not practical or not legal??
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Should be legal.  This falls into the same "firearm" category as a 26" long AR w/o a stock & w/ a VFG.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Its not legal to use a vertical grip unless its registered. As a PGO as made by Mossberg its defined as PGO and thus it is ok. If you add a vertical grip on it no matter how you add it your committing a felony. With a vertical forward grip I believe then its needing a stamp either as a AOW or SBS. I don't see how it would be legal I am not a lawyer and I am not 100% on this.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:  Its not legal to use a vertical grip unless its registered. As a PGO as made by Mossberg its defined as PGO and thus it is ok. If you add a vertical grip on it no matter how you add it your committing a felony. With a vertical forward grip I believe then its needing a stamp either as a AOW or SBS. I don't see how it would be legal I am not a lawyer and I am not 100% on this.
View Quote
I think you're confusing this w/ pistols.  It's not a pistol.  It's a "firearm"; ie, it's over 26", not concealed, and doesn't have a shoulder stock.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#23]
You can do it
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
MOE forend needs to be modified to fit onto Shockwave.  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_1/428232_.html&page=1 Thanks to @brazos609 for that thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff359/quietm4/cec453ab-b6a7-4676-abd8-4ca78aa47066_zpsdyhghazm.jpg
Wonder if there are any differences between the MOE and the Mlok version concerning this dilemma ?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#25]
A new side saddle is needed for mini shells with a top and bottom insertion points = 12 extra rounds.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's a great video. Thanks and thanks to the guys that embedded. It is interesting that he had no problem getting hits at distance compared to Ian and company at forgotten weapons.

I wonder how he's gonna sling that up...
View Quote
Ian has some good articles, but, it is painfully obvious when he has bias.  He looks ridiculous dressed up as a WWI solider all the time.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Installed Magpul MOE forend.  After following the steps on a previous topic to modify the forend to fit the shorter action of the 590, it turned out great.  I took off the hand strap from the OEM forend and screwed it to the Magpul.  It is tighter on the Magpul because it is stretched out a little bit more, but it works great...I didn't like how much slack there was with the OEM setup.

I wish Magpul would have made the forend to fit all Mossberg actions...it would have saved me the hour I spent modifying it to fit, and it would have been very easy to engineer to fit all actions...just a simple spacer ring.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Installed Magpul MOE forend.  After following the steps on a previous topic to modify the forend to fit the shorter action of the 590, it turned out great.  I took off the hand strap from the OEM forend and screwed it to the Magpul.  It is tighter on the Magpul because it is stretched out a little bit more, but it works great...I didn't like how much slack there was with the OEM setup.

I wish Magpul would have made the forend to fit all Mossberg actions...it would have saved me the hour I spent modifying it to fit, and it would have been very easy to engineer to fit all actions...just a simple spacer ring.  

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff359/quietm4/IMG_0379_zpsb2bgjqmg.jpg
View Quote
Nice Job !!!! Patiently waiting Seen guys buying them for 600
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#29]
A friend gave me a laser products forend for a 14" mossberg. The pad is messed up but I am gonna try to get it fixed.

Looking for a big fiber optic bead for it but guess Im gonna have to order it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Is this Op-Sol adapter needed to use the mini shells?

Quoted:
Took the Shockwave out again today.  Tried out Aguila mini-shell slugs with the Op-Sol adapter.  Functioned flawlessly and they were like shooting nothing.  Hit their intended target with a punch, though.  Was shooting at a pie plate on an Evil Roy and it was bouncing back good.  Some full sized slugs were definitely a bit more of a handful but you can shoot them.  Father-in-law loved it and was laughing hysterically.  

I'll tell you the short barrel definitely ain't worth a shit in trap, though.  Not that I expected it to be but I was getting a little wild with its uses today.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/268409/20170401-152914-179690.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow! A wood stocked non nfa !

Beautiful

Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Is this Op-Sol adapter needed to use the mini shells?
View Quote
Yes and it may be bought separately and installed on 500, 590, 88 and 590A1 models.

Opsol website
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#33]
The wood stock is sexy and I love the heat shield on it as well. I have a blued heat shield I may try and figure out how to cut it down and fit it to  my 14" barrel.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  The wood stock is sexy and I love the heat shield on it as well. I have a blued heat shield I may try and figure out how to cut it down and fit it to  my 14" barrel.
View Quote
How are you going to mount the bayonet lug?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wow! A wood stocked non nfa !

Beautiful
View Quote
Damnit, now I want wood furniture.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How are you going to mount the bayonet lug?
View Quote
I haven figured out the heat shield yet, but If I can get a bayonet lug and heat shield on my shockwave I will. Someone needs to make a heat shield with bayo lug on it. I am not that concerned with a bayonet lug but it would look cool to stick a M7 bayonet on it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#37]
The heat shield isn't hard just cut it to length that will leave you about half of the front mounting bracket put a longer bolt through the holes with two nuts on the in side of the bracket tighten one and loosen the other that will spread the heat shield so you can get it over the barrel. Cut the bolt and nuts out then cut the tabs off it fits really tight.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I just dug out my heat shield. I don't know if I am going to put it on yet. It does look like would be easy to make it fit though. As stated only need to remove very little on the front barrel mount of the shield.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Who had the pic of one of these 14'inch Non-NFA SG's with a heat shield on it? It looked badass......

Anyone?
View Quote

Not Mine, But this does look really Nice (Badass) with the Wood & the Heat Shield !!!

I think that I'm going to make a copy of this one for myself.

One question for those talking about adding a bayonet, WHY ???
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:  http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b436/ranfunck/IMG_0341_zps4u3rzzbm.jpg

Not Mine, But this does look really Nice (Badass) with the Wood & the Heat Shield !!!

View Quote
You're the one putting the heat shield on it.  You do know the reason for a heat shield on a shotgun bbl, right?  
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Anyone know where to pick up a short wood forend as pictured above?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b436/ranfunck/IMG_0341_zps4u3rzzbm.jpg

View Quote
Because, I'm a prick and I need something sharp to make my point better. LOL  Really no need just cause.
The wood stock set looks like a heavily modded Mossberg police stock set that started like this one.
Mossberg police wood
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anyone know where to pick up a short wood forend as pictured above?
View Quote
Gun parts Numrich corporation 
I could not find a short one but, easy to modify  
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You're the one putting the heat shield on it.  You do know the reason for a heat shield on a shotgun bbl, right?  
View Quote
Because, they get hot after repeated use?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  You're the one putting the heat shield on it.  You do know the reason for a heat shield on a shotgun bbl, right?  
So when the bbl is hot after you've shot all your ammo, you can stab a hun w/ your bayonet and use your non-trigger hand to press the bayonet down through his guts.  They don't like it up 'em!  

Seriously, that's the only reason for a heat shield on a shotgun - it's to keep from burning your hand when you stab someone w/ the bayonet.  If you're not going to mount a bayonet on it, there's no earthly reason for a heat shield.

Why do heat shields look badass?  B/c they bring to mind US military shotguns from the 1st & 2nd WW that had heat shields on 'em.  Why did they have heat shields on 'em?  B/c they had bayonet lugs on 'em.

Hmm.  Would a permanently attached bayonet count towards the OAL of 26"?  
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:53:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So when the bbl is hot after you've shot all your ammo, you can stab a hun w/ your bayonet and use your non-trigger hand to press the bayonet down through his guts.  They don't like it up 'em!  

Seriously, that's the only reason for a heat shield on a shotgun - it's to keep from burning your hand when you stab someone w/ the bayonet.  If you're not going to mount a bayonet on it, there's no earthly reason for a heat shield.

Why do heat shields look badass?  B/c they bring to mind US military shotguns from the 1st & 2nd WW that had heat shields on 'em.  Why did they have heat shields on 'em?  B/c they had bayonet lugs on 'em.

View Quote

It would have to be put on in some way where it could not be easily removed. Like welding the screws.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Now there is a 870 Shockwave.

gun.deals

CD
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
I believe that seller has been making those for a while now. I've seen them from them before. I wonder if Remington will come out with a factory version to compete though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I believe that seller has been making those for a while now. I've seen them from them before. I wonder if Remington will come out with a factory version to compete though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So around 650 bucks, they can keep it !!!! Been hearing horror stories coming out of Remington QC lately !! How much are you guys paying for the Aguilla Minishells in your area ?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
You could paint a big white arrow on yours to help with low light aiming.  Just sayin'.  So we're up to TWO uses.

Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top