Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2015 12:11:45 PM EDT
I've got a Mossberg 590A1 and planning on upgrading when Uncle Sam gives me my money back. It has rifle sights and I added a sight rail and was planning on buying a PA mini red dot to it to help with my aging eyes. This is a home defense/tactical weapon or whatever the name of the week is. I won't be shooting skeet but possibly 3 gun. I don't want it to set it up for 3 gun though. As I want to look at the matches as a form of practice with guns that are all set up as "practical" or HD.

So what say you?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I would guess 90% of HD shotguns do NOT use optics. Most have bead sights, maybe ghost rings. I have tritium rifle sights on my HD 870P, which I also use in steel plate matches. I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't worry about it.
View Quote

That would definitely make Boss Lady happy!

Just to add, I do have a flashlight on the shotgun so I guess that can be used as an aiming tool.

Now... what to do with the $100 I allotted for the red dot!
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Uncle Joe says no....

Seriously though.  You light should be more than enough.  I am not in the crowd that says you cant miss with a shotgun but you dont need an optic to hit either
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
If I did it would only be a small reflex like a rmr for slug use at moderate distance.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmm, extra $100? Velcro side saddle and a good amount of ammo! Or skip the side saddle and get more ammo. Then, load that ammo into your Mossberg at the range and shoot it until it's empty. Repeat.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a TacStar side saddle, which I don't like, so maybe the velcro side saddle is the ticket. i also need a new rifle case for an AR I got over the holidays.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#8]
The velcro option is great. They add pretty much zero weight/bulk to the gun, removeable, color options, etc.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm looking at the SOE model: http://www.originalsoegear.com/products/velcro-backed-12ga-shotgun-card. Seems like you can't beat $15. You just need to buy some industrial adhesive-backed velcro to attach to the shotgun.

Another thought is a +1 extension. I'm just having a hard time justifying $50 for only 1 extra round.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#10]
No.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#11]
No, even with aging eyes you shouldn't need an optic for shotgun distances.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never had anything but bead sights on my shotguns. IMO it is much quicker in a CQB scenario than anything else.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would guess 90% of HD shotguns do NOT use optics. Most have bead sights, maybe ghost rings. I have tritium rifle sights on my HD 870P, which I also use in steel plate matches. I wouldn't worry about it.
View Quote

I kindly prefer a ghost ring rear. fiber optic front. I can pattern my shotguns a bit better this way. also I can adjust the ghost rear. The cast of the buttstock depends on how I hold with plain old bead sight.
Myself I hold to high with most plain beads.

you really have to pattern your shotgun to what your gonna keep her stoked with.

not sure on the others here. 12-15 yards is usually my working spot.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Flashlight is more important for target identification. Plus, shotgun pellets go where flashlight goes roughly, and there is really no need for sights (at such close distances).
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No, even with aging eyes you shouldn't need an optic for shotgun distances.
View Quote

maybe the slug shooters? if you had 1 gun, a shotgun, I guess slugs will give you a bit more reach. 90% for me is mostly #4 Buck, up close stuff. 12 gauge only now. gave away a fine 16, no use for a 20. gave one of those away too.

if I have to grab shit in the dark. I know it's 12 gauge hull I'm grabbing that's all there is in this house now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Nothing wrong with a small red dot like a Trijicon RMR, if you can co-witness it.

The plus to having a 1x red dot on your shotgun is the same plus as running one on a carbine........it's quicker than iron sights.

In no way is it a "must have", but it's a nice tool when used properly. I have a "Competency Based Entry" qualification course that I run SWAT guys through. I'd have them run it with their Benelli M1/M2/M4/Remington 1100/1187, then run it with my Benelli M2 with Trijicon RMR. Always turn in a faster time with the red dot-equipped gun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with a small red dot like a Trijicon RMR, if you can co-witness it.

The plus to having a 1x red dot on your shotgun is the same plus as running one on a carbine........it's quicker than iron sights.

In no way is it a "must have", but it's a nice tool when used properly. I have a "Competency Based Entry" qualification course that I run SWAT guys through. I'd have them run it with their Benelli M1/M2/M4/Remington 1100/1187, then run it with my Benelli M2 with Trijicon RMR. Always turn in a faster time with the red dot-equipped gun.
View Quote

Not many shotguns you can co-witness.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Optic on shotgun for HD is no bueno in my book. The optic's body itself would impede too much of your field of view at hallway distances and gives an adversary leverage on your gun at bad breath distances. Clean and low profile with as full range of view and motion as you can get.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Co-witness, or at least being able to fully see your iron sights through your optic, can be done.

I run an SBS Rem870.  With the GG&G rail I can use my Scattergun Tech iron sights through the window of my Trijicon RMR.  I bought the GG&G rail specifically because it had a lower profile than other rail I found.

The Scalarworks BOR/RMR mount will co-witness the Trijicon RMR on a Benelli M4/M2.

Again, by no means is a red dot necessary on a HD shotgun.  Its rare that I have someone show up for one of my shotgun courses running one........when I do, it's usually a 3-gun setup.  

A Trijicon RMR or similar is run with both eyes open.  There is absolutely no obstruction of vision when used properly.  Exact same application and method as a carbine or an SMG.  If optics obstructed that much of your vision, and caused that much of an issue, then folks wouldn't be using them on carbines or SMG's either.

A flashlight on a shotgun is a definite must-have........a red dot is a tool you can do without.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#20]
The standard aperature sights on a carbine already impede FOV at close range (and offset POI too) an RDS on a carbine is an improvement over an aperature sight in that regard but still a visual obstruction  that the operator is forced to deal with as a limitation of the platform. On a shotgun a simple bead rules for CQB it allows for unobstructed view where attention to detail may be critical. As my father always said "learn to shoot the sights on the weapon first!"
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#21]
When shooting carbine iron sights, you have to close one eye to focus on the front sight. This "solidifies" the image of the sights; they are then in your way and you can't see them.

When you use a red dot and OPEN BOTH EYES, the optic housing becomes "ghostly" and you can see through it. No longer a visual obstruction.

Again, nothing wrong with runnjng a red dot if you like it. Nothing wrong with ghost ring and rifle sights, if you like those. Nothing wrong with a bead sight, if you like that.  It's more important that you are comfortable with and know how to run what you're using, then WHAT you're using.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Strictly a personal preference. If you shoot it better under the conditions you may need it then go for it.

Personally, I believe it is the basic simplicity of a HD shotgun that keeps them relevant in a World full of other (maybe better) options. Every responsible person in our household (whether they are "into" guns or not) can pick up an 870, keep it pointed in the safest direction, work the safety, work the action, aim, shoot, reload the mag tube and show safe. K.I.S.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#23]
No.
You can get an XS Big Dot bead, those are nice for aging eyes...
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep, the Big Dot works great for weaker eyes!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#25]
XS Big Dots on my 12 and 20G 870s  FTW!!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
XS Big Dots on my 12 and 20G 870s  FTW!!!!
View Quote

I might have to look them up. My eye's are shit anymore green fibre do dads are ok. I'm still decent on my swing..
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:45:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm old school...the red dot would be a no for me. Surefire light a yes. I have increasing astigmatism which makes me see a blurry dot image with red dots.

I put a 2" long fiber optic front sight on my 500moss and it made a world of difference for day light shooting. At night it silhouettes nicely with the light. I want to put one on my Benelli M1 but it needs to be a custom setup to replace the permanent front sight. Just haven't got there yet. You should have more off the shelf options with your SG.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:18:37 AM EDT
[#28]
At the distance I would use my HD shotgun I don't need to have any optics other than the bead at the end of the barrel.  I already have a SureFire forearm light attached to my Mossberg 500 Persuader and 00 buckshot/slugs loaded up.  Good to go.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#29]
KIS is correct XS big dot and an Illum option ...done
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm looking at the SOE model: http://www.originalsoegear.com/products/velcro-backed-12ga-shotgun-card. Seems like you can't beat $15. You just need to buy some industrial adhesive-backed velcro to attach to the shotgun.
View Quote

F- that SOE noise. That is unless you have 6-8 weeks for your order to be shipped.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I ended up getting the Condor one. I think it was like $10 on Amazon and had it in like 3-4 days.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just to add, I do have a flashlight on the shotgun so I guess that can be used as an aiming tool.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a Surefire mounted on my Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel. It shines so bright it actually makes the brass front bead site shine like a little beacon. I wouldn't put a RDS on a shotty...
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a TacStar side saddle, which I don't like, so maybe the velcro side saddle is the ticket. i also need a new rifle case for an AR I got over the holidays.
View Quote

What don't you like about the TacStar? Mine is solid, holds 6 shells snugly, and is tight against the receiver...
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What don't you like about the TacStar? Mine is solid, holds 6 shells snugly, and is tight against the receiver...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine wouldn't bolt on securely. I was only able to get a couple threads in with one bolt.

I also like the velcro ones as I can carry a few of them and replace ones I deplete.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Mine wouldn't bolt on securely. I was only able to get a couple threads in with one bolt.

I also like the velcro ones as I can carry a few of them and replace ones I deplete.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhh, I got you... My 7+1 shot Mossy came with the Tac-Star already installed when I bough it on consignment. Where it sits, it covers up the serial number. So someone at the shop took it off to read it and didn't put it on with very much due diligence. I got it home, took it off, lined everything up, and got both screws thru the receiver nice and snug on & into the Tac-Star. Then I reattached the shell holders to the plate and now it's solid. Before I reassembled everything I wasn't going to keep it either... Try taking it off and reassembling it one last time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I ended up mounting my TacStar in my safe on velcro to grab if needed as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top