Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2015 10:07:46 PM EDT
I am torn between undertaking a "Tactical" Remington 1100 project or just purchasing a Mossberg 500.

This is a 1963 model Remington 1100 12ga that I was given, it had some SERIOUS external rust issues. After a bunch of steel wool and oil it came out usable and the internals are perfect. I can get a 18.5'' barrel for $180, a youth stock set for ~$60, and a cerakote job for $110 (includes the receiver and long barrel). I would eventually add the feed gate/latch mod thing and a +2 extension. I would probably end up with around $450 in this and I would have a great skeet/hunting shotgun also.

Or I want this:

My local FFL has this in stock for $430. I REALLY like the magpul stock and the ability to be able to run whatever loads I want (aka cheap crap).

I like the idea of having a semi auto "tactical" shotgun but worry it may be finicky with certain ammo and loading the 1100 is kind of odd. The Mossberg would be much easier to load (training issue?)

If I decide not to tac out the Remington I am still going to cerakote it and make it my hunting shotgun instead of buying a second barrel for the Mossberg.

::edit::

I should also note that the mossberg having a threaded receiver is kind of nice...
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't tell from your post how deep your shotgun experience is already so I am going to assume none.  While shotguns are very versatile, two are more useful then one.  If you only have one gun when you take it hunting there is no HD shotgun at home.  Since you have zero dollars invested in the 1100, before you drop another $500 in it, get it running first.  Having a true beater like that 500 has it's benefits as well.  So you end up with two different shotguns that will allow you a lot of options and help you figure out what you like most.  You can always sell one later but odds are you won't and instead will buy a third.  That's just how shotguns go.

Plus if you do social shooting the Ladies and kids will much prefer the softer shooting 1100.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a question about Magpul furniture and the Mossy safety. I like the Mossys because of the tang safety and with a standard stock I can activate the safety while the weapon is shouldered and sighted, so can your thumb still reach the safety while maintaining cheekweld like a normal stock?  It looks like it puts the hand at a weird  angle to both the trigger and safety and it would be a stretch to thumb the safety off while staring down the barrel, which is part of my love of Mossberg platforms.  That said I'd  go 18.5" 590A1 with factory ghost rings.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:41:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm voting "get both".

Go ahead and pick up the 500, especially since I take it you don't have a pump shotgun already.  The model you show is ready to go as a "tactical" option.

BUT, I wouldn't abandon the tactical 1100.  Build it up a piece at a time.  It isn't going anywhere, so build it up as your budget allows.

Also, don't worry about the 1100 being picky about ammo.  It is arguably the most versatile auto loading shotgun available.  They will fire the cheapest/lightest ammo you can find on up to the heaviest  loads available.

I would build a 1100 tactical yesterday if I could find a project gun at a reasonable price.  Unfortunately anything I can find to start with would put me at a brand new factory tactical in price after upgrades.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a question about Magpul furniture and the Mossy safety. I like the Mossys because of the tang safety and with a standard stock I can activate the safety while the weapon is shouldered and sighted, so can your thumb still reach the safety while maintaining cheekweld like a normal stock?  It looks like it puts the hand at a weird  angle to both the trigger and safety and it would be a stretch to thumb the safety off while staring down the barrel, which is part of my love of Mossberg platforms.  That said I'd  go 18.5" 590A1 with factory ghost rings.
View Quote

The Magpul stock is kind of a hybrid of a traditional stock and a pistol grip.

If you have long thumbs, you probably wont have to shift much to operate the safety.  Nothing at all like a true pistol grip stock.
But you will have to shift more than you do with a traditional stock.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:19:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not save some money and just cut down the barrel on the 1100?

You can either use the furniture you have or sell it on eBay and get something else.

I would work with what you have first. 1100's are great guns.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:59:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Why do you want youth furniture on the 1100?
Personally, I'd hate to see the old 1100 ruined. If I had it I'd keep it as is. I like the well worn look and don't like painted guns.
I also don't like the magpull furniture.
Save money, keep the 1100 as is. Buy a standard mossberg or maverick with the 20" barrel, 8 round mag. (maverick can be had for $200)

Just my oppinion.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Personally, I'd hate to see the old 1100 ruined. If I had it I'd keep it as is. I like the well worn look and don't like painted guns.
Save money, keep the 1100 as is. Buy a standard mossberg or maverick with the 20" barrel, 8 round mag. (maverick can be had for $200)

Just my oppinion.
View Quote

I wood has multiple chips in it and it is rust pitted, why keep it original?

I want the youth furniture because I prefer a shorter LOP and I like synthetic furniture.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you have long thumbs, you probably wont have to shift much to operate the safety.  Nothing at all like a true pistol grip stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! I'll have to find one local to see if I like it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want a shotgun for HD, get the Mossy and fart around with the 1100 as funds allow. I fooled around with an old 1100 and they act up a little too much to be considered a serious HD tool, too many fiddledee parts create alot of opportunity for failures. The O-ring is a weak point, the carrier latch is another, ammo fouling, mag spring tension, worn interceptor latch....sheesh. I had that gun run fine with certain ammo one day then choke on every round another with no change in anything than the weather. Even changing operators would sometimes see a change in functioning. Only semi auto shotgun I'll trust is a well broken in recoil gun of quality manufacture with loads hand selected for it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you want a shotgun for HD, get the Mossy and fart around with the 1100 as funds allow. I fooled around with an old 1100 and they act up a little too much to be considered a serious HD tool, too many fiddledee parts create alot of opportunity for failures. The O-ring is a weak point, the carrier latch is another, ammo fouling, mag spring tension, worn interceptor latch....sheesh. I had that gun run fine with certain ammo one day then choke on every round another with no change in anything than the weather. Even changing operators would sometimes see a change in functioning. Only semi auto shotgun I'll trust is a well broken in recoil gun of quality manufacture with loads hand selected for it.
View Quote

I think I might just get the mossberg 500, or 590 and leave the 1100 as is. I'll just keep the 1100 around to hunt with, or to shoot skeet and make the mossberg my fun gun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:I think I might just get the mossberg 500, or 590 and leave the 1100 as is. I'll just keep the 1100 around to hunt with, or to shoot skeet and make the mossberg my fun gun.
View Quote

Sounds good.

Dont get me wrong, it can be fun messing around with a platform trying to trick it out. I got my 1100 cheap and a spare rifle sighted 21" barrel for next to nuthin and I'd  pick up parts here and there when I found a bargain but ultimately it taught me that the main issue with running a semi-auto shotgun is that a) gas operated guns are influenced by far too many variables too ever be reliable within a comfortable percentage  to me and b) the biggest drawback of shotguns is the same thing that makes them versatile...ammo. Shotgun ammo construction and it's  lack of consistency are its detractors while its wide array of loads are its attraction. However going manual (pump gun) eliminates a whole lotta it's  problems.  This year in the dove field the 1100 decided it didn't like the Herter's loads I'd gotten cheap to fill in after I shot up some left over Federal, hey no problem, out came the 870 and while it didnt much care for em either (sticking cases) it ate every one of em, because I made it!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I want the youth furniture because I prefer a shorter LOP and I like synthetic furniture.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my oppinion.

No offense, but if you like plastic furniture and modern looking stuff, I think there is a 1100 current model that comes with plastic furniture (cut it down if need be) and just sell that old girl to a traditionalist like me.
Here's a 11-87 with synthetic furature for $600 http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_64_992/products_id/99881/Remington+1187+Sportsman+12+26+Rem-Choke+Mod+Black
Somewhere I've seen 1100s for $500 on sale. I wanted one my self.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd send your 1100 off to Robar for NP3 treatment!! ASAP
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just my oppinion.
View Quote

I agree with this post 100% .. 1100s are fantastic shotguns.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Build up that 1100 to a badass shotgun. I'd cut that original barrel down, especially since it doesn't have a vent rib. Consider having it parkerized. I used to have an 11-87 which I still regret selling
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:27:21 AM EDT
[#16]
You can't see it in the picture but it does have the vent ribbing.

My father in law acting like he wanted me to keep it original since it was his fathers, so I suppose I will. I am picking up the mossberg Monday or Tuesday and will update the thread with some pictures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top