Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2014 12:30:53 PM EDT
27 years ago my father game me a shotgun for Christmas. I would get a gun for Christmas every year from the age of 10 until 16 when I was working enough to be able to afford to buy my own. At 15, that Christmas gun was a first year production Remington 870 Magnum "Special Purpose". Parkerized finish, oiled stocks, 26" VR Remchoke barrel, etc. I used that shotgun for everything until I was about 23 when I became addicted to the Winchester 1897 and still have a small safe dedicated just to them.

That 870 saw 200-800 rounds of skeet handloads with #9 shot each and every week for 8 years straight. I recently pulled my 870 out and I am running into problems with it feeding. To ensure it wasn't Operator Error, I had a few friends fire it too, and I shot one of their 870's and didn't have any problems with it. This particular feeding problem seems to be a fairly common issue with well used 870's.

First off, my 870 has the Flex Tab parts in it already, so that's not a solution. The feeding issue I have is the shell being fed from the magazine tube will hit the flat area just above the chamber. The only way I can get the round to chamber is to pull the forend back slightly, then chamber again.

I'd like to start the troubleshooting process by replacing all the springs in the action. After firing as many rounds as this one has, I feel it's a reasonable place to start. Being a mostly 1897 and Mossberg 500/590 shooter, I could use some input on the springs needed for this 870. Can someone point me in the right direction? Should I consider Extra Power springs, if available, from a company like Wolf?

I'd like to put this old Christmas gift back into use, but it's not reliable as-is.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#1]
how long has it been since you pulled the trigger assembly out of the receiver and cleaned it? the shell carrier dog spring could be weak or just caked up with carbon or wd-40. Have you replaced the magazine spring?

AI&P tactical has some diy youtube videos on the 870...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not a 870 guru but with a gun that has been in storage for a while that starts to have problems I am going to jump on the "gummed up and caked grease and oil" bandwagon .

Break it down and clean the bejesus out of it than see where you are at .
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The first thing I did before shooting it was fully disassemble it, cleaned it, then lightly lubed it. I'll have to look into the spring replacements.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#4]
That particular feed issue is common on guns that have a worn carrier dog spring.
That's the spring that powers the shell lifter.
Try to get a Police gun version, it's a stronger spring that helps prevent feed issues.

Usually a good cleaning and replacing that spring cures the problem.
As for other springs, it's good to replace the magazine spring, preferably with a Police version spring, IF you have a 4 shot magazine.
The Police 4 shot mag spring is a heavy duty spring that insures reliable feeding when shooting the gun fast.

Just on general principles you might replace the extractor spring, although disassembling the extractor, spring, and plunger and cleaning them and the hole in the bolt is usually enough.

To get new springs, you can use Brownell's or Midway, both of whom sell NEW factory parts, not used or after market.
Here's a schematic of the 870 at Brownell's.  You need the carrier dog plunger spring part number 10 to fix the feed issue:

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Remington-/870-Standard-Weight-12-16-20-sid134.aspx

I think Brownell's sell Police model springs, you'll have to ask.
So, a new, preferably Police model carrier dog spring, a Police 4 shot magazine spring, and a standard extractor spring (there is no special Police extractor spring) should fix you up.

NOTE: If Brownell's can't supply Police springs, just order direct from Remington.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top