Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2014 7:51:57 PM EDT
Impressions of the shotgun? Is it worth $200 NIB?

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I do and I love mine. Well worth the 200, though you may find them cheaper depending where you live. I picked mine up for 175 otd but would pay 200 knowing what I know now. I added a 2 plus remington mag tube extension, you have to take the demples out of the tube, atleast mine had it, but it was super easy and took a couple minutes at most, I added a side saddle and also changed to a magpul forend and still ended up paying way way less than what an 870 setup would come close to. Mine has eaten everything ive fed it and I absolutely love the gun. I sold one 870 and picked up another one for truck/ranch duties and same thing has eaten everything ive thrown at it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I own one -- it was actually one of the first firearms I ever bought.  Since purchasing it several years ago, I've put slugs through it, magnum 00-buck shells, and even shot trap.  Apparently 18.5" barreled pump-actions aren't the best for shooting trap -- but I still busted a few pigeons.

It's been 100% reliable from day one, and it's still one of my favorite shotguns.  For reference, I also own a Mossberg 500, Remington 870, Maverick 88, and a Vepr12.  The Hawk has a certain heft to it, and it even feels heavier than the 870 it's based off of.

Would I buy one again? For sure.  Is it worth $200?  Yes - but you could do better.  CTD was blowing them out for $125 last Black Friday (might have been the railed version and not the GRS model) - which comes out to about $165 after shipping/transfer.  At that price it's a phenomenal value.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Are the ghost ring sights solid?

Any problems with the action sticking?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are the ghost ring sights solid?

Any problems with the action sticking?
View Quote

Can't speak to the tightness of the GRS's, but the action has always been good for me.  Mine has about 400 shells through it, and it's definitely not as smooth as a well-worn M500, but it's good enough for it's purpose as a general defensive pump shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
CDNN has them for $150 + shipping.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had one for a few years now, it has functioned flawlessly with everything I've put through it, including 3'' magnums.

The only issue I noticed at all was that the ghost ring sites, while solid, will potentially fall off after extended use if you do not loctite them.
I bought some new screws at my local home depot to help as well.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I own one and know two other people who each own one as well. They are fantastic guns for the money. All three have run hundreds of rounds of Buckshot and Birdshot each without issue. The ghost ring sights are very usable. However, the base screws on the rear sight can work themselves loose so it is a good idea to loc-tite them first thing when you receive the gun. The screws are easily replaced with a socket-head screw (can't recall the size) if you want to do that. It has a machined steel extractor (not MIM) like an old school Remington 870. However, current models are now using a plastic trigger guard (not a big deal for me). The barrel set-up (barrels are not readily interchangeable with the 870) gives you 5+1 shell capacity as opposed to 4+1 from a standard 870. The ones I have handled are very smooth after running a 100 rounds of birdshot through them (run it wet during this break-in). Frankly, they are better made than current Remington Express models being offered at twice the price.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#8]
My review FWIW:

Iraqgunz over at M4C stated that he used some overseas and had issues but I haven't heard of many problems with the ones here.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks. Another great review!
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the railed version (981R), I am not a fan of sights on shotguns & the bead does its job well enough. I only put a couple boxes through it, never failed.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Pretty solid shotgun, good price.

I'm abit faster with the Winchester 1300 and it's clones. The SXP and Stevens 320. Folk's are funny on scatter guns gotta find one that fit's is the best I can tell you
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm looking at a hawk as a Christmas present to my self. It would be my first and only shotgun due to me being a poor college student.
Should I get the ghost ring sights or bead sight?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#13]
The Hawk is a decent shotgun - everyone should have one.  Since your on a budget here is another option for you.

If your local Walmart carries guns they will be 20% off on Black Friday weekend.  so You can get a Mossberg 9 shot Maverick normally $217 for 173.60, and H&R Pardner (nearly identical to the standard bead site Hawk except back of frame shape) Normally $173 for $138.

Not too bad on either shotgun since your on a budget and no transfer fees.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm looking at a hawk as a Christmas present to my self. It would be my first and only shotgun due to me being a poor college student.
Should I get the ghost ring sights or bead sight?
View Quote

That is really a matter of personal preference. With the 18.5" IC choked barrel, the  "HAWK 982" is really set up as a home defense gun. That profile really isn't good for hunting (deer maybe, BIG maybe possibly some upland birds) and most Skeet and Trap ranges won't let you shoot with < a 23" barrel. So, if home defense is what you are looking for then consider how you will use either sighting system. The simple bead is quicker, with your eyes on the threat (and you have determined it is indeed an imminent threat) you bring the muzzle up and once the bead is on target you pull the trigger. The ghost ring sights offer more in the way of aimed shots and YES shotguns need to be aimed. This is obviously better for slugs (if the IC barrel will shoot slugs to a consistent point of impact which it may or may not) but is also helpful for placing 00 Buck pellets where you want them. The trade-off is that the rear aperture and front post take a little more time to align. The rear ring is pretty large so it is not like a standard AR-A2 sight picture and is pretty easy to pick-up the front sight but it will force you to take your focus off the threat and focus on the front sight. However, if you develop a natural point of aim that brings the ghost ring set-up into a readily repeatable sight picture providing a consistent point of impact then you get the best of both; a sight system that makes the target easy to acquire AND allows you to keep slugs or Buckshot pellets on where you want them (and not where you don't).

FWIW- I prefer the ghost ring set-up on my home defense shotgun. However, I kept an 870 with a simple front bead for years and felt very comfortable with where it would shoot so don't feel handicapped with a front bead. The secret is; train, practice, repeat.

ETA- I am NOT a professional instructor or a "tier-one" ANYTHING. This is just my opinion after 35 years of shooting shotguns.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Impressions of the shotgun? Is it worth $200 NIB?

View Quote

No complaint here. Under 200 all the time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Bought one about 8 years ago with ghost rings for about $150. Well worth the money. Everything except the barrel from and 870 fits and works. Mine has been beat over the years and has held up fine. The ghost ring sights are pretty solid. I did degrease and Loctite the mounting screws on the sights to make sure they weren't going to move. Added a +2 mag extension and a factory Remington 870 tactical fore end and called it good. A really good shotgun for the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top