Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 1:10:55 PM EDT
Video link for phones

12 gauge Remington #4 buckshot (27 pellet) fired from 18.5" barrel Mossberg 500A cylinder bore into calibrated 10% gelatin.

BB: 590.5 fps, 3.7"

Impact velocity: 1,245 fps
Min penetration: 11.0"
Max penetration: over 14"
Pellet weight: 19.2 gr
Pellet diameter: 0.249"

*Note: 7 pellets exited the back of the 14" block. That
means that 62.5% of the pellets that were captured in
the block exceeded the 12" minimum requirement.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Thanks for posting.  I like to use larger size shot but that did seem to penetrate decently.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#2]
As noted, decent penetration.

Perhaps the 10% denser tungsten composite pellets should be loaded in #4.

Maybe it would improve the range at which #4 displays decent penetration.

Not a major improvement, but a small one.  

I admit that I have loaded my HD shotgun with #4 before.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for posting, I always enjoy your videos. Having shot a lot of coyotes with shotguns loaded with #4, I'd prefer bigger pellets for something larger. Especially if there could be barriers in between.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for posting, I always enjoy your videos. Having shot a lot of coyotes with shotguns loaded with #4, I'd prefer bigger pellets for something larger. Especially if there could be barriers in between.
View Quote

This is an important bit that probably bears repeating. I did not include barriers in this test but it seems reasonable to conclude that #4 buck is substantially lacking in barrier performance compared to 00 buck and the penetration at distances more than across the room will probably suffer too. I would only consider #4 buck if I lived in an apartment or maybe if I felt there was substantial risk of a family member being down range during a home invasion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top