Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2014 10:43:43 PM EDT
I shot a sporting clays charity tournament today. It was fun but shooting 100 rounds left me with a pretty good mouse under my cheek- and it is tender and swollen. I haven't shot a shotgun in years and am not really as familiar with shotguns as I am with my pistols.
I think the comb on my Remington 1100 is too high for me. In order to get the vent rib out of my sight line and only see the dot I had to press my cheek hard onto the stock. I noticed when I handled a friend's Browning Maxus that it came more naturally to me eye when I mounted it and I didn't have to put my cheek hard onto the stock.

Is there something that I can have done to the stock comb? Should I just sand it down?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is cheaper than buying the Browning I would give it some serious consideration.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#2]

As tender as my cheek feels right now I am tempted to take a belt sander to it.

I learned a few things today. Skeet shooting is fun. Not shooting for several years and no practice before shooting skeet isn't a really good plan. I managed a miserable 35 out of 100. I had 3 stages where I missed all of them, 3 stages where I only hit one, and 3 stages where I hit 7 out of 8. I also learned that I hate that damned rabbit!

We had a good time shooting with some very good people, but next time I will practice.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:59:42 PM EDT
[#3]

From reading a little the problem may just be how I am holding the shotgun. When my cheek stops hurting I will work on my technique before I start altering anything.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:50:50 AM EDT
[#4]
My vote would go to how you are holding it or your sight picture. Maybe I shoot clays wrong, but I never really "get rid of" the vent rib out of my line of sight. I have a Mesa Tactical side saddle on my mossberg 500 that attaches to the top of the receiver via integrated rail, so my line of sight to the front bead changed ever so slightly. I get the front bead center directly in front of me, but I only press my cheek into the buttstock just enough, never forcing my face down into it. I shoot with both eyes open and I average 90% or higher when doing any clay shooting. I never do tournaments though, just out shooting with friends. Just a thought.

However, if you are dead set on "fixing" your stock, honestly changing it out would be the best way imo. I love the ergos of my magpul stock and the much shorter LOP is awesome to me because I'm only 5'5"
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#5]
unless you already have "trap B" stock on your 1100, my guess is that your stock is a field grade stock that falls away, and if you keep your cheek in the proper position, under recoil it smacks you in the cheek bone...if that is the case, you really need a higher Monte Carlo or Trap B stock that tapers forward, that  breaks away under recoil... before you take a sander to the stock, I would suggest you try a foam rubber saddle to see if that can lessen the problem... have some of the club members look at the way you mount your shotgun... it is hard to diagnose over the internet

I did have to sand down my trap B on my 1100 and the comb to my Browning Citori...

this saddle is showing a little wear, but has been on my 3 gun Benelli since 2005

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't mess up your wood.
You would be the rare guy that a Remington field gun stock would be too high for, Remingtons are known for flat ribs and flat shooting most have to go the other way and build them up to get them to shoot where they look for clays.

You should be able to see all the rib with a slight upward ramp when mounting the gun. Then you never look at it again, only the bird.

If you bury your face that hard on the stock  you will start a flinch that will be next to impossible to get rid of.

Get a little coaching from a good shotgun shooter and do a little research on gun fit, WHICH is everything on a shotgun.

Go pattern your shot gun ideally you would like the bird in the center of your pattern (50/50 pattern), the way you are doing it sounds like you would shoot very low making you have to cover the bird with the barrel not ideal for clays, you want to be able to see the bird all the time above the barre/bead and not lose it under your barrel.

Stick with it, loosen up on the stock no future in getting beat up, Good luck.

If you pad or build up your stock as above you will raise your point of impact, back to the patterning board. Just like ajusting your rear sight on a rifle your eye being the rear sight, make sense?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#7]

The belt sander was just a knee jerk reaction. I am pretty sure it's me.
I thought about it and noticed that I hang my cheekbone on top of the stock like i do on a rifle to get a good cherk weld. I think I may need to put my cheek on the side of the comb i stead of on top.
It is a field stock.

It sure was fun though, especially the doubles on the true pairs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Stocks can be bent and altered to fit.

My suggestion is to fine a good stock fitter and see what he recommends.  Once you get your mount and mechanics down, having a gun that fits and shoots where you look makes a world of difference.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#9]

I think the problem is me not knowing how to properly shoot a shotgun. For 45 years I have always got a mouse u der my cheek when shooting a lot.
Yesterday I was trying to have a good cheek weld but I had my cheek bone pressed down hard on the top of the comb. From doing a little reading I think my cheek bone is supposed to be against the side of the comb. I think it is supposed to be up.
With everything I was doing srong it's a wonder I hit anything at all.
I also kept my elbow down and it looks like
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top