Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2014 1:00:46 AM EDT
I fractured my right arm right at the shoulder.  That was a bit over a year ago.

My favorite weapons were always 12g shotguns & I miss them.

That was my first broken/fractured bone. Am I okay to shoulder a 12g? Im worried about re damaging it
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:09:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you'd be fine if its fully healed. Or if you're really worried you could bump it down to a 20.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:10:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Steer clear of the 3" magnum loads!  
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:12:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Well that basically up to you and how your feeling. I love shooting the 12g also but takes a toll after awhile with just target loads.

Does any other rifle hurt when you shoot?

If your worried get some extra padding and go shoot some light shells (as in no 3 " mag slugs) then go from there.  If it's to much on your shoulder then I'd stop for awhile till you build the muscle back up . No reason to over do it and hurt yourself more.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I've broken lots of stuff and you'll be A-OK as long as the doctor has decided you've healed. I wouldn't put the butt on your humerus or anything but you'll be fine.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
7/8 oz skeet load first...after a call to the Doc...
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
What type of 12 gauge do you shoot? My dads remington pump fucks his shoulder up after a day of trap but he can shoot my semiauto browning all day with no issue.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Bones heal, rotator cuff tear, not so much.
Gotta have recoil pads.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I like a PAST recoil pad when I shoot and I would recommend it for you.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:36:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the same fracture last year. You should be good to go.
My problem has been one of strength. After seven months of physical therapy I still don't have the strength back.
I can shoot ok , but I get tired and sore quickly. It's comming back just not as fast at fifty than it was at twenty five years old.
Just shoot light loadss till you feel comfortable then move on. Don't rush it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#10]
To me that sounds like a perfect reason to get a nice gas operated shotgun. Love my Maxus. Lightest recoiling shotgun I've ever handled.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#11]
If you have an O/U add some drop in subgage tubes your choice 20,28,410.

9lb gun with 410ga BBgun soft.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I fractured my right arm right at the shoulder.  That was a bit over a year ago.

My favorite weapons were always 12g shotguns & I miss them.

That was my first broken/fractured bone. Am I okay to shoulder a 12g? Im worried about re damaging it
View Quote

If you are not, you will quickly develop a flinch and miss.  I had to put down shotguns for awhile and paid for it every time I picked one up so I switched over to my Beretta 20 and bought a Benelli M2 in 20 gauge as well.  Then I moved back on to 12's.  If you run an O/U go light loads first and work your way up to 100 rounds.  Upgrade your recoil pads to limbsavers or kickezze types.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top