Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2014 7:16:38 PM EDT
Just got a brand new Remington 11-87 Sportsman 12 gauge about two weeks ago. I went out and shot it and after about 5 rounds it jammed after every shot. I took the barrel off and the o-ring had torn. Also, the link in the receiver is not staying in place when inserting the pins in to hold in the trigger assembly. Remington says the receiver link should not come out that easily. They are sending me new action bars, link, and o-rings. Does anyone else have any experience with this shotgun? I bought the Remington because I love my 870, but wanted a semi-auto for clays. However, this makes me think their quality is an issue.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out this thread from a couple weeks ago.  
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_1/430729_Pick_a_12ga_semi_auto.html
Sounds exactly like 11-87 problems my department frequently experiences.  
Big Green just ain't what she used to be.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
My first scattergun was an 11-87 Sportsman and it's never failed after countless rounds of skeet, a number of trips through the milo, some time in the duck blind, numerous hours at daybreak waiting for the thunder chickens, and a bunch of trips through the quail woods.

1996 vintage.  O-rings get replaced regularly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:37:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Got mine last year around Christmas and has been very reliable. Put around five hundred rounds through so far and only hung up one time the first few shots. Sometimes lemons leave the factory it just happens. Different Types of ammo can have an effect on operation as well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:09:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think I would buy a new one. They just don't have the same quality of the older ones that I own.

Sad really, I'm  a fan of the 1100 and 1187s, just not anything made in the past few years.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:19:11 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, the link (wishbone piece in receiver) absolutely can pop out if you bump it the wrong way while reinserting the trigger plate assembly. That's always been the case. Some do stay better than others. I like to tilt the mag tube up so gravity's on my team.

Remington is also assuming you had a burr or rough spot on the front of your action bar sleeve. They're probably correct. Inspect the groove in your mag tube where the barrel seal (O-ring) sits just in case. If rough, let Remington know, or take care of it yourself with 600 grit sandpaper.
To people other than the OP:

+1

The older ones are better and less expensive. So...

gunbroker?

Order a new-style piston assembly (nickel plated, snap-together) if you don't have one. Pick up some extra Viton™ O-rings (barrel seals) while you're buying.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the answers. I believe the link is ok as it has no apparent damage.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#7]
My 11-87 SPS is about 15 years old. It used to be my 3 gun competition SG. My experience is that they don't like  light loads. To run reliably with 1 1/8 oz, 3 dram loads I ended up opening the gas ports. The o-ring is a weak point, but if you keep the gun reasonably clean and a fresh o-ring installed, it will run like a top. With the gas port modification, it loves the Remington Heavy Dove loads and reduced recoil buckshot/slugs.

Been thinking about pulling the old gal out and giving her a run on a hog hunt soon.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:36:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think I would buy a new one. They just don't have the same quality of the older ones that I own.

Sad really, I'm  a fan of the 1100 and 1187s, just not anything made in the past few years.

View Quote

plus one...  their guns from the early 90s are much better built than anything that comes out of the custom shop these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top