Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Gen 2 and it has ran flawlessly right out of the box with whatever I've fed it; mind you I stripped it with Acetone and did an initial lube with Slip2000 before ever firing it.  My understanding is that KelTec will correct any issues that plagued the 1st Gen shotguns free of charge. Their customer service is top notch. I love my KSG. It turns heads wherever I go for sure. I'm actually surprised at the number of people who have never heard of the platform!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It would also be helpful if anyone work mention of they used a V1 or 2 KSG. From what I've been reading the V2s are running much better.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I just picked up a G2. I have never owned any keltecs prior to this one. I was leery to purchase one but now that I did and have shot it myself I love it.
I have only shot 50 rnds through mine so far. I haven't had any problems with the ejection of shells on the wrist.
The only con I would say I have about the KSG is racking the slide harder than I would another pump. I put a vert grip on mine and it makes it easier to pump.
Its a fun gun to shoot. I am very satisfied.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
my bro has a bronze KSG.. I know for fact its in the 4k + range of shots fired.

I picked up a flat dark earth/ tan version a few weeks ago and Im in the 1000 round range already ( ate through 800 rounds of birdshot 7.5 in the first two weeks. shooting clays of course.) aguila mini slugs Ive gone through about 160 already blowing up shit at a private range.

both the KSGs ive had the pleasure of shooting are beasts.. hands down the most fun shotgun Ive ever owned. ( I sold a benelli m2 right before buying this, my ruger red label just went to my father.)

granted, its a " tactical" shotgun by design.. but it lends itsself very well to turkey hunting, deer, and duck.. as well as slaying masses of clays.( Edit: yes... I have used my bros for all the mentioned..)

neither of our KSGs show any crazy wear. ( we both are fanatical about cleaning weapons,) Mine isnt even loosing any coloring on the slide arm.

the Only thing Im having issue with is finding the right red dot. ( just took an eotech 552 off it, debating going to a SRS01 trijicon)

my bros Bronze KSG was one of the first to leave the factory it seems, he paid 800 ( LEO discount)

my tan one I got on gunbroker for way under that:D
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It would also be helpful if anyone work mention of they used a V1 or 2 KSG. From what I've been reading the V2s are running much better.
View Quote
Mine is a version 2, I verified the cartridge stop under the mag tubes.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK, but you have to autograph it . . .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I said it over and over...you pull the slide back and it works fine. I even showed the specific part of the gun to watch for that wouldn't let it load if you short stroked it. People can only stand so much talking, and honestly there isn't much else to say. It fed every kinda ammo I could find, and works 100%. Wear a wrist band.    

It's fun shooting things that pop.

Maybe you could market a Kel Tec wrist band.
I'll make custom ones, any logo.    

Don't worry I'll make you one for each hand. "Hater" and "gun snob" lololol

OK, but you have to autograph it . . .
Done!

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:24:16 AM EDT
[#6]
What about this http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/02/daniel-zimmerman/kel-tecs-follow-up-re-broken-ksg-rail/
And this http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtribune.com/17484/a-devastating-accident-with-the-kel-tec-ksg/
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What about this http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/02/daniel-zimmerman/kel-tecs-follow-up-re-broken-ksg-rail/
And this http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtribune.com/17484/a-devastating-accident-with-the-kel-tec-ksg/
View Quote

Both gen 1 shotguns from what Ive gathered...

Guess Kel-tec should have hulk smashed the shit out of thier slides with  three picatinny slots on a lever..

I did study Physics in college, which made me think " hmm it may possibly be a bad idea to put a forward vertical grip on a surface that will be undertaking heavy loads." which is why I never had one on an AR.. and damn sure wouldnt put one on a polymer rail.
Ive seen the bipod Mil vert forward grips shear completely off while deployed on M4 carbines from falls and going prone.

One would think first that perhaps putting a vertical grip, holding it on end.. and muscling the shit out of a pump may cause issue..

One would also think putting your hand in front of the barrel and pulling the trigger may be also a bad idea..

reading the handy guy article, Id think he was ramboing the shit out of it and blasting everything, once the grip snapped he decided to continue pulling the trigger..

do stupid things.. win stupid prizes.

but if thats enough to keep anyone from buying a KSG, GREAT!!! I would like to get another and if people stop wanting them Im sure I can score one even cheaper than the last:D
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's such a GD shame that Stupid and Laywers have become such a winning combination in this country!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an Aimpoint H1 4MOA on mine. It works great and that bigger dot lends itself to very fast target acquisition. This is the favorite of all of mine and I love getting obnoxious and turning every head at the indoor range when I send a few 3" Magnum Slugs downrange! Here is a still my buddy caught while launching a 3" Mag Slug.

Quoted:

I picked up a flat dark earth/ tan version a few weeks ago and Im in the 1000 round range already ( ate through 800 rounds of birdshot 7.5 in the first two weeks. shooting clays of course.) aguila mini slugs Ive gone through about 160 already blowing up shit at a private range.

both the KSGs ive had the pleasure of shooting are beasts.. hands down the most fun shotgun Ive ever owned. ( I sold a benelli m2 right before buying this, my ruger red label just went to my father.)

granted, its a " tactical" shotgun by design.. but it lends itsself very well to turkey hunting, deer, and duck.. as well as slaying masses of clays.( Edit: yes... I have used my bros for all the mentioned..)

neither of our KSGs show any crazy wear. ( we both are fanatical about cleaning weapons,) Mine isnt even loosing any coloring on the slide arm.

the Only thing Im having issue with is finding the right red dot. ( just took an eotech 552 off it, debating going to a SRS01 trijicon)

my bros Bronze KSG was one of the first to leave the factory it seems, he paid 800 ( LEO discount)

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I have an Aimpoint H1 4MOA on mine. It works great and that bigger dot lends itself to very fast target acquisition. This is the favorite of all of mine and I love getting obnoxious and turning every head at the indoor range when I send a few 3" Magnum Slugs downrange! Here is a still my buddy caught while launching a 3" Mag Slug.

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy339/shellrob21/20140928_150807_zps250051f8.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy339/shellrob21/20140928_150807_zps250051f8.jpg

Quoted:

Awesome!!

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#11]
You guys are lucky, Here in my area the KSGs ran from $900-1100
and that is if you can find one in stock!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Well...........After much thought I think I'm on the hunt for a KSG.  I have decided it is worth the risk to try such a possibly awesome package.  Honestly, if the KSG performs, there is nothing that even comes close to its close-range firepower.  I know there have been some problems but I have decided I'm willing to try it out for myself.  I have never owned a Kel-Tec firearm but this shotgun is just to inovative to not give a chance.  If and when I find one (for a realistic price) I'll let you guys know what I think.  My opinion will be 100% unbiased as I have no loyalty or hate for Kel-Tec.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well...........After much thought I think I'm on the hunt for a KSG.  I have decided it is worth the risk to try such a possibly awesome package.  Honestly, if the KSG performs, there is nothing that even comes close to its close-range firepower.  I know there have been some problems but I have decided I'm willing to try it out for myself.  I have never owned a Kel-Tec firearm but this shotgun is just to inovative to not give a chance.  If and when I find one (for a realistic price) I'll let you guys know what I think.  My opinion will be 100% unbiased as I have no loyalty or hate for Kel-Tec.
View Quote
Great to hear!! I look forward to hearing your opinion, don't forget to post back.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I got to finger one when they first came out. I'm not going to bash it because I didn't shoot it but after handling one I'm not at all interested in owning one. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Love mine.  Who cares, I know.

The draw for some is the chance to own a video game weapon come to life.  I'll be honest.  The futuristic look was an immediate draw for me.  Then I handled it (compact, high capacity, reliable[at least mine...]...blah, blah, blah) and I fell in love.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#16]
KSG drop test, shock test, explosion test video, in case some of you guys missed it on page one:
Could someone hotlink this for me, thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QAcYErAoVP0&list=FLjWpjj75hT5ITG9QAKI0Xdw

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

KSG drop test, shock test, explosion test video, in case some of you guys missed it on page one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QAcYErAoVP0&list=FLjWpjj75hT5ITG9QAKI0Xdw

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Very cool! Thanks for posting!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/QAcYErAoVP0?list=FLjWpjj75hT5ITG9QAKI0Xdw

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:02:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Pretty damn impressive that those things weren't in pieces on the floor. Are 870s and 500s said to have withstood that sort of testing, too? Can't say I've ever seen anything like that, don't know if that's significantly more punishing or on par with other evaluations.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#20]
@10mm-thanks for the Hotlink

Its not my video btw, found it while I was looking for info on the KSG.
I was also impressed with how the KSG handled the tests.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

@10mm-thanks for the Hotlink

Its not my video btw, found it while I was looking for info on the KSG.

I was also impressed with how the KSG handled the tests.
View Quote
No problem.

Have you guys seen the videos with the Aguila minishells? KSG holds 25 of them!
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh, first time I took it to the range I had so much fun with the
mini shells that I blew through 2 boxes quickly...
My friend (the copy cat) saw how it cycled the minis and everything (2 3/4" and 3") we bought
with us that day that he went and ordered a KSG for himself.
A few days later, He got his KSG and we stopped by the
LGS to get more mini shells and had a blast at the range.
True story
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#23]
In honor of this thread, went downstairs to the range (PD) and fired off 20+ rounds of mixed mini-shells and Fed tac buck.  Smooth as silk.

And apparently I've been shooting it strange before as now I did get a few hits to my grip wrist.

Fed Tactical Buck LE132-00.  15 yards, one ragged hole.  Damn, that flitecontrol wad buck is impressive.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

In honor of this thread, went downstairs to the range (PD) and fired off 20+ rounds of mixed mini-shells and Fed tac buck.  Smooth as silk.

And apparently I've been shooting it strange before as now I did get a few hits to my grip wrist.

Fed Tactical Buck LE132-00.  15 yards, one ragged hole.  Damn, that flitecontrol wad buck is impressive.

View Quote
Try the sweat band thing!

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I love my gen 2 but I did have issues with short stroking when I first got it, figured out it was user error and corrected. It definitely got better after the first 100 rounds or so.

It was also awkward for me to load and handle at first but now that I've had it awhile the muscle memory is there and I have no problem trusting it as a defense gun.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#26]
well... on further testing...

having shot 3" magnum slugs and buckshot from it.. my bros have concluded KSG means Kicks Suckers Good :D

an 18" barrel  on any shotgun is going to kick though so my sympathy is lacking:D
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

well... on further testing...

having shot 3" magnum slugs and buckshot from it.. my bros have concluded KSG means Kicks Suckers Good :D

an 18" barrel  on any shotgun is going to kick though so my sympathy is lacking:D
View Quote
It does have some thump do it with heavy loads, I would still rather not be on the shit end of that stick.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I love my KSG.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Love mine as well. G2.

Open sights (Diamonhead)

W/ red dot
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#30]
How does that AFG work on that? When I first got mine I tried using a simple Magpul Handstop kit. I now use a Magpul RVG and it works great for helping to mitigate the heavier recoil of 2 3/4 and 3" Magnum slugs.

Quoted:
Love mine as well. G2.

Open sights (Diamonhead)
<a href="http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/BassOverflow/media/PhotoOct0880931PM_zps8448816c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/BassOverflow/PhotoOct0880931PM_zps8448816c.jpg</a>

W/ red dot
<a href="http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/BassOverflow/media/PhotoOct0880723PM_zps2e2e8be0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/BassOverflow/PhotoOct0880723PM_zps2e2e8be0.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I like the AFG on mine, it works good.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#32]
What?  No poll?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#33]
All this positive feedback on current KSG's is making me want to pick one up. We have a Burnt Bronze one at the shop I work at and could get it for cost, which would be under $750. Hmmmmmmm..........
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I love mine. It is compact but houses a lot of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How does that AFG work on that? When I first got mine I tried using a simple Magpul Handstop kit. I now use a Magpul RVG and it works great for helping to mitigate the heavier recoil of 2 3/4 and 3" Magnum slugs.
View Quote

I really like the AFG on mine. I actually prefer it over the vertical grip. has a more natural hand position, for me at least. I could see where the vertical would help with recoil over the AFG though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
All this positive feedback on current KSG's is making me want to pick one up. We have a Burnt Bronze one at the shop I work at and could get it for cost, which would be under $750. Hmmmmmmm..........
View Quote

Dew it!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#37]
I do wish there was a rail on the side to mount a light that I could activate with my thumb.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Local they are 799.00.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Dew it!!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dew it!!!!!
QFT

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#40]
I've owned mine for a while....taken it to the range three times.

1) Hard recoil with anything other than target loads. I put a Limbsaver on it AND an aftermarket muzzle brake. More shooting will be needed to see if these items help with slugs.

2) Short stroking is easy to do. Rack it hard and this will not be an issue. The two times that it was slow to feed were operator error.

3) Very fun gun to shoot and to own. Looks and feels cool.

I like it and look forward to shooting it again. It's got an Aimpot on it and a Tapco VFG (the shorter one).
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Any range reports since the add ons?

Quoted:

1) Hard recoil with anything other than target loads. I put a Limbsaver on it AND an aftermarket muzzle brake. More shooting will be needed to see if these items help with slugs.

2) Short stroking is easy to do. Rack it hard and this will not be an issue. The two times that it was slow to feed were operator error.

I like it and look forward to shooting it again. It's got an Aimpot on it and a Tapco VFG (the shorter one).
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:05:59 AM EDT
[#42]
How do I know if mine is gen 1 or gen 2? Is there visual differences or a date when they switched?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#43]
There are several differences but the easiest way to tell is look at your mag tubes. The Gen 2 has "cut outs" in the mag tubes that indicate how many rounds are loaded. Another major improvement is the trigger reset has been added/fixed.

Quoted:
How do I know if mine is gen 1 or gen 2? Is there visual differences or a date when they switched?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:27:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Got mine for $900 Gen 2 I use a magpul foregrip and MBUS front and rear,aimpoint M4s took off my AR once I got an ACOG..800 rds no problems the stiffness in cycling when new is the rail at the rear of the pupm hitting the slide release on the trigger guard I simply dremeled that part of the rail so it makes no contact with the release...nice and smoothe.I have a HiTech muzle brake/breacher that with the foregrip takes recoil nicely..I love it
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Got mine for $900 Gen 2 I use a magpul foregrip and MBUS front and rear,aimpoint M4s took off my AR once I got an ACOG..800 rds no problems the stiffness in cycling when new is the rail at the rear of the pupm hitting the slide release on the trigger guard I simply dremeled that part of the rail so it makes no contact with the release...nice and smoothe.I have a HiTech muzle brake/breacher that with the foregrip takes recoil nicely..I love it
View Quote
Pics of said modification?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I need one... I think im gonna sell my Benelli M4 and chase this dragon..
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I am far from being a Keltec defender, but if you can't figure out why a KSG would be a poor choice for connecting with flying targets, you shouldn't be out there to begin with...

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I had one for a year -
Not quality
Kicks like a mule with 00
Racks like shit

Cool
Little
Cost is down

M4 is what I ended up with
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#49]
try one and make your own decision! reading these reviews is a joke, especially when it is compared at a skeet field, what a joke this is a weapon made to whack bad guys not little clay birdies, get real, this isn't even comparing apples to oranges, its comparing a gold fish to a tiger.

Put a forward assist on the ksg and bang it back like you mean it and it will not short stroke, stroke it like your stroking yourself and you might get a short stroke.

they work great when used the way they were designed to be used.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, none.

Maybe this week.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top