Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 1:44:04 PM EDT
I have an M2 and thought about getting an M4 (had one and sold it sometime ago).

I know one is gas and one is inertia, but is it worth it to get an M4?

Why?

Reasons one is better than the other, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The M4 exists to fulfill a requirement set forth for a joint service shotgun. The ID system cannot satisfy all of these requirements, thus the ARGO system was created. Do you need a multi-service shotgun, capable of supporting a wide variety of accessories? If not, the M4 holds no advantage over the M1/M2..

Benelli M4=SPAS-12- cool movie/video game guns, but heavy/expensive and lacking compared to other platforms.

Tom Knapp's Benelli M1 had 500k rounds put through it and it was still operational when retired. The M4 is the only Benelli shotgun that uses the ARGO system. Surely, if it represented any advantage, it would be utilized in more products, other than a few obscure rifles...

You sold your M4 and replaced it with an M2 for some reason, correct?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Sold the M4 long ago, then bought an M2 a few years later, not really to replace but came across a good deal.

Was always curious what the advantage of the M4 over the M2
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The M4 exists to fulfill a requirement set forth for a joint service shotgun. The ID system cannot satisfy all of these requirements, thus the ARGO system was created. Do you need a multi-service shotgun, capable of supporting a wide variety of accessories? If not, the M4 holds no advantage over the M1/M2..

Benelli M4=SPAS-12- cool movie/video game guns, but heavy/expensive and lacking compared to other platforms.

Tom Knapp's Benelli M1 had 500k rounds put through it and it was still operational when retired. The M4 is the only Benelli shotgun that uses the ARGO system. Surely, if it represented any advantage, it would be utilized in more products, other than a few obscure rifles...

You sold your M4 and replaced it with an M2 for some reason, correct?
View Quote

I'll have to disagree. Remington liked the ARGO system well enough to copy it for the Versa Max series. The ARGO system allows for mixed loads without the need to make adjustments on the shotgun. If it's good enough for the USMC, it's plenty good enough for whatever I'll throw at it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#4]
It just had to be made to reliably cycle with more weight on it than the M1/M2. This was required for the ability to mount thermal optics and things of that nature. That's what ARGO and the extra $ gets you. It's extra weight itself though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]
do what I did, get all three M1, M2, and the M4
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'll have to disagree. Remington liked the ARGO system well enough to copy it for the Versa Max series. The ARGO system allows for mixed loads without the need to make adjustments on the shotgun. If it's good enough for the USMC, it's plenty good enough for whatever I'll throw at it.
View Quote

Did they copy it because they liked it, or because consumers of tactical shotguns were buying them like crazy? (okay, that makes them like it)

There are other self-adjusting systems out there. They may not be as reliable under extremely dirty conditions, but some can likely handle a wider range of loads better. (Xtrema 2, A400, Rem 11-87 idk lol). The only "weaker" loads the military ever uses are less-lethal. They don't use any 3.5". If you fire less-lethal from an M4, it won't cycle them either. They were designed to meet specific Joint Service requirements, and they do that extremely well, at a cost of money and weight.

When you're talking tactical shotguns, handling wide ranges of loads becomes moot because that's not what you use to kill people. M1/M2 were just fine, until the weight of heavy things being attached to them became a consideration. These are heavy things most will not need nor want.

I'm not knocking the M4, just considering pros/cons. I don't think Remington holds the same level of production QC in the Versa Max that Benelli does, but that's just my conclusion.

Article on M4 and less-lethal shells

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have both the M2 and M4. The M4 is heavier and is a softer recoiling platform as felt recoil on the M4 is more of a roll than an abrupt "punch." The M4 does cost quite a bit more but as already mentioned, it will run everything including low recoil 00 Buckshot and the M2 becomes a single shot with it. That being said, the M2 will do you just fine if you aren't planning on running low recoil rounds or hanging a bunch of gear of it an thus impacting the Inertia Driven system.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Does hanging a 6 round side saddle affect the M2?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does hanging a 6 round side saddle affect the M2?
View Quote

Probably not, unless you are trying to use (really low recoil) ammo that will barley function the gun anyway.

I’ve worked with a M2 with a RCI X Rail magazine that holds 22 rounds. Fully loaded the gun will run with 1 1/8 oz 1300 fps ammo all day. Drop to 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps and the cycling gets not so reliable until you run 10-12 rounds out of the magazine (as the gun’s weight decreases)

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The M2's reliability concerns are way, way overblown.

My M2 American w/ Nordic extension holds 10+1. I frequently load it up with 1 oz. loads (even though Benelli recommends 11/8 or greater) and burn through all of them without issue. Fired hundreds of Herter's (Cabela's store brand) and Federal 1 oz. game loads this way without issue. I would have no qualms with mounting a side saddle or other accessories if I were so inclined.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The M2's reliability concerns are way, way overblown.

My M2 American w/ Nordic extension holds 10+1. I frequently load it up with 1 oz. loads (even though Benelli recommends 11/8 or greater) and burn through all of them without issue. Fired hundreds of Herter's (Cabela's store brand) and Federal 1 oz. game loads this way without issue. I would have no qualms with mounting a side saddle or other accessories if I were so inclined.

View Quote

I agree

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top