Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2014 12:52:15 PM EDT
Hey I was wondering what for end you guy's are running on your 870's with the Mesa Tactical 6 shot side saddle? I know you have to run a shorter one from what I can see but I am not sure which one as they state it needs a tactical fore end to work with out interference. They also say any of the Surefire shotgun lights will work with no problems while I would like to a one just is not in the budget at this time. If any of you are running this side saddle could you please post pic's and which for end you are using. I was looking at the Hogue stocks and fore ends as I would like to get a 12" LOP stock when I can but I don't think their fore ends will work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Speedfeed is short. I suggest you try a Surefire fore end before you buy one. They are heavy, don't grip well and throw off the balance. I ended up selling mine. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Speedfeed is short. I suggest you try a Surefire fore end before you buy one. They are heavy, don't grip well and throw off the balance. I ended up selling mine. YMMV
View Quote

Ok thanks. I think I will just look for a speed feed one to throw on my 870. I need one of those and a Hogue 12" LOP stock. I was thinking that the Surefire fore end might be a little heavy and add some weight to the front.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
What do have on there now?

I just notched out a full sized wood forend last night. I went with the GG&G six shell side saddle.  I didn't want to trim the whole length of the forend because I like the look and feel of the larger style, so I just notched out enough to clear the carrier.

I'll try to get some pics up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I just notched out a full sized wood forend last night. I went with the GG&G six shell side saddle.  I didn't want to trim the whole length of the forend because I like the look and feel of the larger style, so I just notched out enough to clear the carrier.

View Quote

I just got a 870 with one yesterday. One thing i noticed is it shortens the reach considerably. Now I'm considering leaving it lol. post pics if you can.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]

I'm still between cures and lacquer coats, so I can't mount it up yet.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]
On my 870 I have a 6 shot shell holder on the receiver and I am running the Magpul forend.  Works great.

I just ordered a Magpul stock for it and will set it up with a 12" LOP.

** Ignore my messed up toe...  **

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

My shotgun has the regular for end that comes on the 870 Express Magnum, is the synthetic fore end and stock. I will be changing the stock out due to it being a little long for me and if I remember correctly the fore end would come back and over the receiver a little bit. I am sure it would clear the Mesa 6 shot side saddle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:00:56 AM EDT
[#8]
old style Choate has plenty of clearance... this is an early pic, before I removed the extended mag tube

after removing the extended mag tube

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#9]
lanq which side saddle is that on your gun? I think I saw some pic's with the Mesa side saddle and Magpul fore arm.

lasnyder yes the Mesa side saddle is a little different that then choate side saddle so I need to find one that will work with it and from my understanding is I need a shorter one as the regular length fore arms will not work.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Check out Ares Gear Shotgun Modules. I prefer them to the more traditional type side saddles.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check out Ares Gear Shotgun Modules. I prefer them to the more traditional type side saddles.
View Quote

I looked at them but would prefer the metal mounted side saddle for my application right now. I will run it and see how it works for me and then if I need to I will try the Ares Gear one out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
lanq which side saddle is that on your gun? I think I saw some pic's with the Mesa side saddle and Magpul fore arm.
View Quote

Not really sure, it was on there when I bought it.  I'll check when I get home.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I have Speedfeed fore ends and a Surefire, all work well with the Mesa Six Shot shell caddy.  FWIW, someone above said the Surfire is heavy and hard to grip.  I agree it is heavy, but I find it easy to grip and use.  I have had mine on my HD shotgun for about eight years now.  IMHO it is the ONLY option for adding a light to your 870.  My setup (pic later):
Remington 870 Police Magnum (was a PD trade in, was an animal control units gun in VB)
181/2" IC barrel.  I have polished the bore and chamber till it looks like chrome....easy to clean, will eject anything, tight and perfectly symmetrical patterns.
Big Dot tritium sight epoxied on over the original bead.
Vang Comp +2 two mag extension with high visibility follower and Wolffe spring.  Polished the mag tube also.
Mesa Tactical Urbino stock with recoil pad.  Felt recoil is milder than a 20 guage.
Mesa Tactical six shot shell caddy
Surefire fore end light.  I replaced incandescent bulb with an LED a couple of years ago.
I cannot guess how many rounds I have fired since I got it, well over 2000 buckshot  and many more birdshot and slugs..  Not as much as many shoot in matches, but this is my HD / SHTF shotgun.  It functions flawlessly and patterns very well with Federal and Remington 00 buck and slugs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#14]
lanq ok thanks and yes let me know.

bmyk sounds like a good set you got there on your shotty. I am looking for the speed feed fore arm right now as I can't afford a light for the shotgun but when I do I might get one to slap on there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I have used both the Hogue and Magpul forends.  The Magpul will all you to mount a light or other type of accessory which you will end up with anyway.  They both work well.  I don't care for the factory extended forearms because of how I unload the shotgun.  I would only use an extended one if you have difficulty reaching the forearm.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
lanq ok thanks and yes let me know.
View Quote

I looked, but I painted over it so I can't tell who made it.  I THINK it was just one from Midway, but again, I'm not sure since it was on there when I bought the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top