Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 5:25:02 AM EDT
I looked at the manual and all it said is not to shoot steel through fixed full's but it didn't say not to shoot it through their removable full or extra full. I have a factory flush mount full for my Remington 870 that says "steel shot ok" or something like that right on it but the ruger chokes don't say anything on them. My benelli chokes also say on them whether or not they are ok with steel shot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:48:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd do it through full not extra full though

Just my way of thinking though
Call ruger to be sure
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Most chokes are very different between steel full and lead full.

Even if it's safe, a super tight thread in choke will usually scatter your pattern with steel.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#3]
It has been years since I water fowl hunted but the steel shot I used had a thick plastic cup over all the shot to
protect the barrel  andprovide a cushion for the choke area
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The problem with steel shot is that it will not deform at all as it goes down the barrel and into the choke.  Larger steel shot sizes (BB and larger) are thus more prone to damaging tightly choked guns.  

To be on the safe side, I'd constrict no tighter than Improved Modified (about .0025) with the larger sizes of steel shot if your chokes are not marked as suitable for steel shot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The chokes are not marked at all.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:08:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Non tox is a good investment. Just going to throw that out there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Non tox is a good investment. Just going to throw that out there.
View Quote

I have some tungsten I loaded but that's way harder than steel although the volume of the shot charge is even less than lead. But I'm not sure if that's what you meant.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Bismuth. Carries energy a lot better than steel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bismuth. Carries energy a lot better than steel.
View Quote

I think it costs way more than even tungsten shot that I already pay almost $2.40 for 1 1/8 oz per shell for. At that rate I would stick to the modified choke to shoot steel or buy a pattern master or some other extended choke which I will probably do eventually anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top