Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 3:51:53 PM EDT
More specifically I've been looking at the Jerry Miculek pro series.

I want one for general shenanigans and maybe skeet/trap. From what I read, they're either finicky with ammo or dead nuts reliable. I figure for the price, I'm willing to take that gamble.

I'm use to pump guns so this will be my first auto loader.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had 2 930's, an SPX and now the 22in JM PRO.

The SPX ran like a top from the get go.

The JM PRO had an issue not wanting to release shells from the magazine. Mossberg sent prepaid shipping label to fix. I got it back and it runs 100%, provided the ammo isn't the shitty Herters.

I would have no issues buying any 930 as Mossberg will take care of you.

Craig
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#2]
You're apt to get replies from one extreme to the other on this one.  From everything I've read for quite a while now, it seems that Mossberg is plagued with quality assurance issues.  The designs may be good, but it seems that you just never know if the gun you get is gonna be one of the good ones, or one of the bad ones...  There's also quite a bit that's been written about their customer service issues for a while now...

So...  in my best Clint Eastwood voice... "you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, "?

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got a 24" JM pro. No issues besides the tube clap sliding.

So far I've used winchestor white box 1oz, 1-1/8oz and rio 1-1/4oz for 5 stand and sporting clay and it's been great.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been shooting a standard 930SPX for a little more than a year and it has run flawlessly with everything except a bad lot of SPARTAN brand shells that even my 870 pump had issues with. Mine runs anything rated 1oz @ 1200fps or above.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 24" JMpro that runs perfect right out of the box even with Herters

From what i can tell most of the problems are related to 2 issues

The Nordic magazine spring being too long (easy fix)

And the shell stop having a burr (harder but doable)

Brownells has a great write up on it Here
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My girlfriend has a 930 SPX. It's generally reliable but sometimes doesn't want to take more than five shells in the magazine. I'm sure they're getting stuck on the joint between the mag tube and the extension. Yes, it's screwed down all the way and I've cleaned both the tube and the extension out.

It also occasionally leaves empties in the chamber which can be plucked out by hand.

My buddy has a 930 JM pro and it's been a nightmare.

It leaves them in the chamber, too
, but they get stuck firmly and must be pounded out with a rod. Its' effectively a single shot, it leaves them in the chamber more often than not.
View Quote

Can I ask what brand(s) and type of ammo you are using?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the comments and links. I'll be picking one up shortly, if I can find one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I was searching for the cause of my rounds not feeding from the tube yesterday and found this information. Thanks so much!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Ive got a 930spx, it rocks!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I run Federal Top Gun through my 930 JM. Never had a jam or any other issue. Only think that is a must if you 3-gun with is extending the lifter so it doesn't bite your thumb when loading fast.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#13]
When the 930's first came out Mossberg was having a QC problem with the front sights being canted on a LOT of the SPX models, and a LOT of the replacement barrels had the same problem.  Bu they stuck with the owners of these guns, if the owner was persistent and finally got the problems taken care of. At the time I didn't care for, still don't, the "grab everything" front sight on the SPX guns and ordered one of the HD models.  That gun fed everything, and I mean EVERYTHING I ever ran thru it in any order I put it in the tube.  I fired a box,25, of high pressures 2.75" old lead pellet duck loads thru it right off the batt and never had any trouble with it at all.  The 930 performed flawlessly even after a couple of hundreds rounds without cleaning, which is more than I can say for several Remington 11-87's owned by guys I shot with at the time.  A friend of mine's Dad wanted one very badly at the time and they were virtually unobtainable at the time so I let him have it.  

I'd by another one in a minute if I needed another shotgun.

Rob

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top