Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 9:08:31 AM EDT
I have been coveting one for years and when I finally started looking I found out that they were not being manufactured any longer.  So, today I get a marketing email from Ruger and guess what - RUGER RED LABEL

I'm pumped, I've always like the look and feel of the Ruger O/U.  I hope one makes it to my house for Christmas.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Shame it has an automatic safety.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
And they don't offer an all stainless one like they used to.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:27:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Had 2 of them a blued receiver 20 gauge and a stainless receiver 12 gauge.  they were okay guns but nothing special.  Sold them as a pair to a guy in my hunting club and went to the Browning Citori line that I shoot much better.  The 12 gauge Red Label had a quirky safety that would sometime re-engage itself after the first shot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:36:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Many doubles come out of the factory with an auto safety (some of my beloved Beretta's had it). Generally an easy mod. to make it a manual safety
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe they'll fix the barrel separation issues this time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#6]
There are barrel issues? I was unaware. Is there a fix or recommended action?

My kids like shooting my 28 gauge.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Many doubles come out of the factory with an auto safety (some of my beloved Beretta's had it). Generally an easy mod. to make it a manual safety
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most O/U have manual safeties these days, though lots of SxS have the damned things.  Some are easier to disable than others.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Kid shooting shot gun rates a 10 /10 . Keep up the good work Pops .
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There are barrel issues? I was unaware. Is there a fix or recommended action?

My kids like shooting my 28 gauge.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81144293/AubreyRRL.jpg
View Quote

I've seen several where there was leakage from the seam between the barrel block and barrel.
Ruger says its not a,problem, just looks a little cheesy.
Don't know if it does it in the sub gauges, I've only seen it on the 12s
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I personally cannot wait to get one... I've wanted a Red Label for years.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Still unimpressed, especially for the price point.  12 GA still has trigger slap and more recoil than almost any other 12 GA O/U I have shot.  Still pretty heavy and unbalanced.  Ruger needs to figure out what kind of gun they are making.  If they want to make a dedicated clays gun, then make it.  If you want a versatile gun then make it a field gun.  Stop trying to do both in one package.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 4:20:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice gun,.......but I'll stick with my Browning
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#13]
correct me if I'm wrong -

Stoeger < CZ Canvasback < Red label < Citori

Did I miss anything? I'm trying to help a BRD buddy buy his first clays gun
Do we have a price point on the new red labels?
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

$1300 MSRP.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#15]
When they start making the stainless steel version again, I will be interested.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Ruger Red Labels are for losers, too many problems with barrels, triggers,
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

$1300 MSRP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1300 MSRP.

get the hell outta here with that! edited cuz it ain't GD, yo
Are you kidding me? I was thinking $850
For the 8 people bitching in this thread already, I can tell you i'll put that $1100 street price towards a used citori and ruger can lick my you know what
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

For the 8 people bitching in this thread already, I can tell you i'll put that $1100 street price towards a used citori and ruger can lick my you know what
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1300 MSRP.

Yeah, Ruger is off their rocker.  The new RL did very little to improve on the old RL's many shortcomings.  Shame, it be nice to have a American made O/U in sub $1k range that wasn't sub par.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Right on.

Red labels are good field guns.
View Quote

I have heard people say this...why?  High ribs usually are not field guns and they are heavier than almost any of their competitors field O/U's.  The only thing that they did field gun wise is attempt to balance it like a field gun.  So with clay gun characteristics they try to balance it like a field gun...I want to be the fly on the wall in a Ruger meeting.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have heard people say this...why?  High ribs usually are not field guns and they are heavier than almost any of their competitors field O/U's.  The only thing that they did field gun wise is attempt to balance it like a field gun.  So with clay gun characteristics they try to balance it like a field gun...I want to be the fly on the wall in a Ruger meeting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right on.

That new Red Label is mabye in the $550 to $750 range, Stoeger, Baikal,etc.... out perform that gun. Take for example the Stoeger 30" with Ported barrels (open/closes so smooth) you can find one for about $549 if you look around. My Baikal MP310 was $485 out the door (after gun smithing its beauty). I have built 4 custom Ruger 10/22's for people in the past month and EVERY receiver I had to go back and re drill the hole for the charging handle because it was causing so much cant, and then polish every bolt, and not to mention 2 of the 4 bolts were not machined correctly the extractor didn't even work out of the box. If they had quality QC and the gun had more to offer, maybe....$1,000, but people are going to buy it because OMG its an expensive O/U IT MUST BE GOOD.

Plain and simple.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That new Red Label is mabye in the $550 to $750 range, Stoeger, Baikal,etc.... out perform that gun. Take for example the Stoeger 30" with Ported barrels (open/closes so smooth) you can find one for about $549 if you look around. My Baikal MP310 was $485 out the door (after gun smithing its beauty). I have built 4 custom Ruger 10/22's for people in the past month and EVERY receiver I had to go back and re drill the hole for the charging handle because it was causing so much cant, and then polish every bolt, and not to mention 2 of the 4 bolts were not machined correctly the extractor didn't even work out of the box. If they had quality QC and the gun had more to offer, maybe....$1,000, but people are going to buy it because OMG its an expensive O/U IT MUST BE GOOD.

Plain and simple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right on.

Plain and simple.

I put Ruger above Turkish made guns and I can't agree that any Stoeger product will ever outlast a RL but there is no reason that a domestic made O/U can't be everything and more that say a Beretta 686 essential brings to the game.  There is just no excuse for the RL's shortcomings at that price point.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#24]
FUD gun wait one;
yep fud thread sorry moving on
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#25]
"Newly redesigned, the shotgun now features refined inner workings, a new center of gravity and reduced recoil, making it lively in the hand and even more pleasurable to shoot."

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That isn't my experience at all as an owner of  a Red Label, a Baikal, and other shotguns.  Turkish shotguns do not have the fit and finish of an older Red Label.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right on.

Plain and simple.

That isn't my experience at all as an owner of  a Red Label, a Baikal, and other shotguns.  Turkish shotguns do not have the fit and finish of an older Red Label.

Of course out of the box the Baikal needs cleaning, and work that's why I said $485 out the door (after gun smithing its beauty), I shoot clay tournament for our college program (oilfield), and granted I am not talking about older ruger when they had better QC. Comparing features to features, and price to price...no way is it worth what they are asking and what the clowns selling are asking.

I use a Remington 1100 1970 Trap model still at stands, some of the older guns were just made better to a certain extent I guess.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I got to finger one today and had high hopes. These were quickly dashed upon closer inspection.
The fit and finish is not what I would consider to be acceptable. Lots of rough edges, burrs on the receiver, poor wood to metal fit, etc.. Even thought the price was quite attractive ($1050.00) I put it back on the counter and left rather disappointed since I had fully planned on adding it to the collection.
I surely hope they all aren't as rough as this particular example.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 1:34:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I got to finger one today and had high hopes. These were quickly dashed upon closer inspection.
The fit and finish is not what I would consider to be acceptable. Lots of rough edges, burrs on the receiver, poor wood to metal fit, etc.. Even thought the price was quite attractive ($1050.00) I put it back on the counter and left rather disappointed since I had fully planned on adding it to the collection.
View Quote

I am saddened to hear that. I am a big fan or Ruger's revolvers and rifles, it chaps my a$$ that they cannot get it right when it comes to the O/U.

Years ago as a kid I wanted a nice O/U and I wanted it to be Ruger Red Label. When I got to the point that such things were within reach I found the RRL was “not” what I was looking for. Although my nice O/U section of the safe is full enough I've got one spot still open for a Ruger, for nostalgic old times sake, and was hoping this new - improved version might have the kinks worked out of it.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am saddened to hear that. I am a big fan or Ruger's revolvers and rifles, it chaps my a$$ that they cannot get it right when it comes to the O/U.

Years ago as a kid I wanted a nice O/U and I wanted it to be Ruger Red Label. When I got to the point that such things were within reach I found the RRL was “not” what I was looking for. Although my nice O/U section of the safe is full enough I've got one spot still open for a Ruger, for nostalgic old times sake, and was hoping this new - improved version might have the kinks worked out of it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only Red Label that Ruger got right was the 28 GA.  The old 28 GA's seem to be the only exception.  That may be an option for you.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a 20ga RL with 26 inch barrels and a English grip, use it for a field gun and its ok, but it's too heavy for its size.   I agree on the 28 ga its the only RL I'd consider and I'd probably still opt for a used something else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top