Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2012 12:46:29 PM EDT
Yes, Thanks to this forum and google I realize legally they cannot have a barrel shorter than 18 inches and cannot have an overall length shorter than 26 inches.. at least not without the extra work (tax stamps)

So with that in mind, this is more of a curiosity, also would be good to know if The Mayan's really do decide to end the world on Dec. 12'th, WINK!

Helping my sis-in-law buy her shotgun made me realize, "got d@m, shotties are cheap"

So who know's, based on your answers I might buy one...  place it in my Bug out bag ALONG with a hacksaw and be ready in case the SHTF!!

have at em!!

oNe
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say 14" would be the shortest and still carry at least four rounds down the tube.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Assuming a standard Remington 870:

~12" if you end the muzzle flush with the hanger, 13" with the cap, and 14" with a +1 extension.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

~12" if you end the muzzle flush with the hanger, 13" with the cap, and 14" with a +1 extension.

hmm..   can someone translate what he said to ENGLISH please..  or better yet I mean 3'rd grade english..

You lost me after Remington 870..

forgive an ignorant one..

THanks!

oNe

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#5]
BINGO!! this is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/CAR-AR-M16/870AOW.jpg

Ok, the owner gives this info on it:
I bought this AOW from the original Scattergun Technologies in the early 1990's (way before they were bought out by Wilson). They built them on virgin 870 receivers. The barrel is 12.5" with a screw-in modified choke (don't know if ST bought them that way from Remington or cut down a barrel). It is a standard mag tube holding 4 rounds. The stocks that originaly came on it were wood, but I replaced them with the Speedfeed synthetic. Since this picture was taken I have replaced the forearm with a shorter one and installed a Mesa Tactical shell holder on the opposite side of the receiver. HTH

Now can some TRANSLATE that into english for a 1st time shotgun buyer?

What would I need to build/convert a shotgun into the one above?  I am clueless on all this so PLEASE bear with me..

let me know!

ThANK YOU!

oNe
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The easiest cheapest way to go about recreating something close to that gun would be to start with a pistol grip Mossberg like a Cruiser model .  Then submit your paperwork to convert the gun into an AOW with the NFA pay your $5 then wait six months give or take.  When your stamp arrives have the barrel cut, add the 1in extension for the extra shot then add the sling and mounts of your choice replace the factory pistol grip with a birdshead and you would be holding in your hand what looks almost identical to your pic.  Of course the refinish in green will cost some more coin.  Or if you want to avoid the AOW stamp do not shorten the overall length of the gun to anything less than 26in, and go from there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The easiest cheapest way to go about recreating something close to that gun would be to start with a pistol grip Mossberg like a Cruiser model .  Then submit your paperwork to convert the gun into an AOW with the NFA pay your $5 then wait six months give or take.  When your stamp arrives have the barrel cut, add the 1in extension for the extra shot then add the sling and mounts of your choice replace the factory pistol grip with a birdshead and you would be holding in your hand what looks almost identical to your pic.  Of course the refinish in green will cost some more coin.  Or if you want to avoid the AOW stamp do not shorten the overall length of the gun to anything less than 26in, and go from there.

Correction, if you start out with a title 1 gun (standard pistol grip Mossberg as you mentioned), you will need a Form 1 and a $200 check to make it a AOW.  It would transfer from then on out as a $5.00 stamp.  The OP would be better off finding the configuration he wants already made into a AOL, and he would only pay the $5.00.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks familiar.  Then again, every Witness Protection clone looks alike, I guess.

Here is mine:

Start with a standard 870.  Send your paperwork in to the ATF along with $200.  Collect your stamp.  Cut the barrel.

Buy the Speedfeed stock and bird's head grip from Brownells.  While you are there, buy a forearm wrench, because it is cheap and way easier than using a screwdriver, a hammer, and the power of prayer.
Mount said items to your shotgun.  Poof, WP clone:

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 2:48:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmm..   can someone translate what he said to ENGLISH please..  or better yet I mean 3'rd grade english..

You lost me after Remington 870..

forgive an ignorant one..

With the assumption that you started with an 18" (or whatever) Remington model 870 shotgun, and put on a pistol grip (which would all be legal now).

When the end of the world comes...

If you cut the barrel even with the thingy that attached the barrel to the magazine tube, you would end up with a 12" barrel.
If you cut the barrel even with the thingy that encloses the end of the magazine tube, you would end up with a barrel around 12.5-13".
If you install a "+1" magazine extension (giving you five shots), and cut the barrel even with that thingy, you end up with a barrel around 14".

Better?

ETA:

870 with an 18" barrel, magazine extension, and pistol grip:

870 with a pistol grip and cut at 12.5-13

870 with a pistol grip and cut at 14"

...which puts the end of the barrel even with the end of a short magazine extension like this:
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 3:31:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm thinking SAIGA-12

Magazine-fed for capacity.  Folding stock for compactness.  AK internals for semi-auto reliability.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 3:48:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm thinking SAIGA-12

First thing that came to my mind.  SBS S12 w/ 20 rd drum.

Link Posted: 10/22/2012 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correction, if you start out with a title 1 gun (standard pistol grip Mossberg as you mentioned), you will need a Form 1 and a $200 check to make it a AOW.  It would transfer from then on out as a $5.00 stamp.  The OP would be better off finding the configuration he wants already made into a AOL, and he would only pay the $5.00.

Thank you for the correction my bad
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've got mail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top