Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2012 4:28:00 AM EDT
I was at the range the other day and a guy had the M4 H20. I got to play with it and loved it. I really want a M4 now, but I`m not thrilled with the H20`s finish. Is there any chance of Benelli coming out with a parkerized or mil spec finish?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:43:42 AM EDT
[#1]
They already make a  parkerized or mil spec finish.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post are you looking for the finish durability of a H20 in black?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:18:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

http://pteyuan.myweb.hinet.net/gun/m4super90.jpg

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post are you looking for the finish durability of a H20 in black?

He probably wants it with the collapsible stock and extended tube from the factory with the black finish.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#3]
No, that finish apparently makes the gun banned from import.  You have to get the H20 version.  

Read more here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_6/1287325_Benelli_M4_H2O.html

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

http://pteyuan.myweb.hinet.net/gun/m4super90.jpg

The black collapsible stock versions are in their LE catalog. Benelli to my knowledge still won't sell a black M4 with a full tube and collapsible stock to non LE or non direct military sales.

For now you will just have to buy a black M4 and add your own tube and collapsible stock.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:33:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the confusion I only posted that picture to show it in black I did not mean to imply that you could get it in that configuration with out a bit of work.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I`m looking for the gun in black w/o having to do all the remodeling.

I read the post but didn`t get (possibly misssed) the reason for the finish being ok
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#7]
In order to get a collapsible stock "black" M4 you need to buy a standard M4 and replace the stock with a collapsible one.

To be legal and meet 922 you will need to change out at least 3 parts (I think).

Carriercomp.com and freedomfightertactical.com sell US made parts to be compliant.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at if you buy all the 922(r) parts, sell the spare parts you took off, and compared it to buying a new H20.  You'll actually come in at about $200 under what the H20 costs.  You just have to have the patience to do it.  It took me 3 years, and I'm VERY happy with the results.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In order to get a collapsible stock "black" M4 you need to buy a standard M4 and replace the stock with a collapsible one.

To be legal and meet 922 you will need to change out at least 3 parts (I think).

Carriercomp.com and freedomfightertactical.com sell US made parts to be compliant.

Right - ONLY the H2O is composed of 100% Italian-made parts AND is for sale to the public.  SOMEHOW, it gets around section 922, but the black color doesn't.  

NO ONE knows why (or at least they are not saying WHY).
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right - ONLY the H2O is composed of 100% Italian-made parts AND is for sale to the public.  SOMEHOW, it gets around section 922, but the black color doesn't.  

I believe they are getting around 922 because the new H20 version is assembled in the US.  The standard "Black" ones are still imported from Italy fully assembled.

This is not 100% positive, but I think that this is the case.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe they are getting around 922 because the new H20 version is assembled in the US.  The standard "Black" ones are still imported from Italy fully assembled.

I have been putting off calling my Benelli rep to ask him what the deal was with the H20 but I called him today and asked him.  I then called Benelli direct and asked them to make sure what I was told was solid.

The Benelli M4 H20 is imported as a full firearm into the United States.  It is then disassembled at their warranty repair service station, sent off to Robar to have the NP3 coating done, and then reassembled.  The reason why this does not have to have 922r compliance is because by having Robar NP3 coat it, it becomes 'Modified' and that satisfies the requirement of the ATF and Customs.

Everyone tracking?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Can Robar do a blackened NP3 finish?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been putting off calling my Benelli rep to ask him what the deal was with the H20 but I called him today and asked him.  I then called Benelli direct and asked them to make sure what I was told was solid.

The Benelli M4 H20 is imported as a full firearm into the United States.  It is then disassembled at their warranty repair service station, sent off to Robar to have the NP3 coating done, and then reassembled.  The reason why this does not have to have 922r compliance is because by having Robar NP3 coat it, it becomes 'Modified' and that satisfies the requirement of the ATF and Customs.

Everyone tracking?

Seems a little funny to me.  I mean, if I rattle can my gun the Batfuckers will consider it modified and .922r is void?. I hope you're right, but it seems odd.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 7:10:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone tracking?

Thank you.  FINALLY someone else confirms what Benelli reps were saying at SHOT.  There is a little more to the story here (and a reason you can't spray paint a gun in your garage to get around 922r):
About 3 or 4 years ago, our alphabet friends went after many licenesed (FFL) gunsmiths.  They argued that by adding sights, changing hammers, etc, the gunsmiths were "manufacturing" a new gun and had to pay the excise tax for manufacturing.  Apparently, ROBAR was threatened & started paying up.  

Apparently, Benelli figured out: if ROBAR treatment constitutes "manufacturing," then the "manufacture" happened here and the gun is now "U.S. made."  Hence, 922 not applicable.  However, unless YOU are a licensed "manufacturer" like ROBAR, YOU cannot get around 922 this way as far as I can tell.  

Still, there are possibilities here.  Imagine ANY foreign-made assault rifle now banned from import:  if you can get it into the U.S. for LE sales, and then have it ROBAR'ED, it could be sold to civilians.  Trick is getting the importers to play ball.  And tolerating "pimped" silver colored imports & the cost to do so.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Can we just get rid of the 89 import ban
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#16]
More info here:  http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-42277.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top