Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2016 11:44:48 PM EDT
For defense against the average street robbery by one or two thugs at near contact distance I am a big believer in snub nose revolvers. But I am thinking about carrying something w a little more firepower and capability for those extraordinary circumstances I hope I never have to face.  Basics I am referring to active shooter/terrorist type scenarios.  Of course a long gun is choice, but I've thought about being one of those bag gun guys like short barrel shepherd, but I cannot see myself ever routinely carrying a AR pistol or whatever on my person away from my vehicle.  

Being that I can at most reasonably expect to carry a large auto regularly, which I did daily for many many years, I am trying to think of something that would be more more use that typical pistols.  

I like 9mm for how light the gun and lots of ammo is.  The drawback to typical browning pistols is  the limited mechanical accuracy of the gun and the ammo itself as compared to a rifle system.  Additionally, the trajectory of pistol chambering makes shooting at farther than typical hand gunfight ranges challeng.  

All I can think of that is concealable on one's person, practically speaking, but that fits in a performance niche between a pistol and a rifle chambering is the 5n7 pistol.  

I am envisioning one with a triangular dot MRD in a supertuck or similar, or an OWB in the winter.  

Anyway invest lots of money and effort into getting into a new gun and chambering I would like to know what owners have to say about the mechanical accuracy and any other observations they have about shooting or carrying the five and seven pistol and also any thoughts or observations about the capabilities and limitations of various available ammunition. Is there not a boutique ammo company that makes high performance ammo higher performance than is commonly available?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:03:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the barrel fixed?

Is it blowback?

What is the difference between gen 1 and 2?  Does the slide reciprocate near the Muzzle area or just on the back part of the gun?

Is there a fixed place to mount a mini Red Dot on?

What is the lockwork/safety scheme?  Does it come only one way?

Can the muzzle be threaded, or can a threaded extension be installed or a new threaded barrel be obtained?

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thx so much pursuitss

Problems happen when a MRD is mounted to the slide or the frame?  Maybe something like the frame mounted race gun MRD mount.  Red dot w the right dot would do a lot to extend the effective range of the gun beyond conventional pistol ranges.  In war, never shoot any closer than you have to, as the saying goes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
So does the barrel move back and or tilt like a browning action or a M9?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Is there a 22 conversion kit or a 22 pistol with similar ergos and trigger?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Occasionally deals can be had on ammo.  I bought 1400 197, 1100 195, and 1400 ae for $1090 shipped.

Eta: in the near future I'll be sending my barrel into tornado tech. They can extend and thread the barrel. Not sure if you have to thread it to the 5.7 thread pitch and then put on an adapter or if you can have it threaded 1/2×28.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Occasionally deals can be had on ammo.  I bought 1400 197, 1100 195, and 1400 ae for $1090 shipped.

Eta: in the near future I'll be sending my barrel into tornado tech. They can extend and thread the barrel. Not sure if you have to thread it to the 5.7 thread pitch and then put on an adapter or if you can have it threaded 1/2×28.
View Quote

^has anyone suppressed them?  If the barrel moves do you need a Nelson device?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#12]
what do the bullets do in media?  do they expand like a JHP or just tumble??  Penetration is >12" w/ the couple loads you suggested for defense right?

and when you say the MRD's induce stoppages, you are talking about slide mounted MRDs?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone ever put one is a ransom rest and tested the absolute mechanical accuracy?

Eta:
http://www.gunblast.com/FN-FiveseveN.htm

25 yrs groups range from 1.6-2.5".  These are NOT from a ransom rest,FWIW, but accuracy does not seem much better than a accurate 9or 45 or whatever.   Still, it does have much less trajectory to deal with of course.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Forgive the theatrics, but yes you can suppressor the 5.7. I don't recommend using the high velocity ammo (excessive blowback), but SS197SR or AE TMJ works fine in 5.7 rated suppressors. Elite and RRWS develop platform specific subs (based on barrel length) to ensure cycling. The Factory SB193 will not cycle the FSN action, unless you have a suppressor with a Neilsen device.. :D

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Good info here. Considering adding one of these to the arsenal. Is serious duty ammo in jeopardy of being curtailed at some point?
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Good info here. Considering adding one of these to the arsenal. Is serious duty ammo in jeopardy of being curtailed at some point?
View Quote
If you're an officer/mil should not be an issue.

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Any issues with penetrating steel target plates?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you are running SS197 (Blue Tip) there is pretty much a zero chance of damaging a steel target.
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/684069_SHTF_gun_pics_and_guessing_game_for_Christmas___5_7___Updated_w___22_WMR_picture_5_20_16.html

Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top