Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2016 2:53:39 PM EDT
Greetings gents,

I read all the reviews I could find on line, but I'm looking to have some dialogue about them.

Back story is that I have tried just about every handgun. I shot the g19 and cz75 well, but never felt completely comfortable with them. I played with a 5.7 the other morning, and really enjoyed it. I understand it is a hopped up .22, but with the red box FN ammo, is it a suitable cartridge for carry/two legged targets? Any carry concerns, problems you have experienced? Lack of holsters, etc?

Thanks in advance everyone.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the newest variant called the MK 2 that came out in 2013.  It has front slide serrations, and a one piece slide, and some other updates.    Very nice shooting pistol and 100% reliable.  

I use the 197SR ammo for it and it is incredibly accurate.  

The MK 2 will fit some holsters of the older model, but you may have to loosen up the kydex tightness screw a half a turn or so.

I have a PS90 and AR57 as well so I share the ammo with those.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The ammo doesn't seem to be as big of a deal as I previously imagined. The blue tip VMAX from PSA is relatively inexpensive. It seems like a hoot to fire, and I'm relatively bored with handgun shooting. The MK II appears to have adjustable sights, which is a neat addition.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought I'd love it, but I don't. Not at all. Sorry. Honest opinion.
I'm a lefty and frequently the mag would eject during recoil.
It felt like a toy made of ABS plastic.
Control placement was horrible.
It was not ergonomic at all.

It may be a very excellent weapon for some, but not for me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
You're opening up quite the can of worms WRT 5.7 effectiveness, and for whatever reason people fee very heated about it either direction. I'll say this, all handgun rounds are a compromise in effectiveness over a rifle, and in that regard the 5.7 is no different. Now insert some argument about shot placement trumping all, and mag capacity/lack of recoil, etc. All of which are true, but I'm not going to repeat these same tired arguments ad nauseum.

The concensus is that 197 may be ok out of a longer barrel, but the pistol really doesn't give it enough velocity to work as designed which leads to somewhat anemic results. If I were to carry my five-seven (and I do intend to, but haven't gotten around to ordering a holster), I'd be using SS198LF. A lot carry 198 and practice w/ 197 due to price differences. If you do this, know the two have a significantly different POI that you'll want to adjust between range/carry.

As an aside, here are some observations from my limited use of my Mk II. It fits my hand funny due to the long grip, probably owing to my schmedium hand size. You'll want to practice using the safety, as it's certainly different than any other mainstream designs. It is easy to shoot well, my groups are nice and tight slow-fire, and the recoil is very light which brings it back to target quickly.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#5]

I've owned a USG for awhile, and the front manual safety is a no brainer to me. I train for my finger to be there, and the switch is easy to use, unlike many slide or rear frame mounted manual safeties which suck, and even more so for lefties. I carried it a lot in a CB supertuck. They replaced it since the kydex cracked after 4+ yrs, and now I have to break the new one in :)

SS197SR does not peform as designed in the pistol. Practice only ammo IMO. SS198LF at min, or buy some T6B from EA, or some of RRWS LEO ammo

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I am sure this is well known, but I figured I would mention it.  All the FN rounds for the 5.7X28 that end in LF stand for Lead Free primers.  Lead free primers have been debated for a decade on lifespan.   I have read dozens of write ups by ammunition companies, industry professionals, and even called FN a few times to get a few opinions.  The lead free primers do not bode well for long term storage as they degrade in performance unlike leaded primers.  

So while the SS197SR ammo isn't as good as some of the HP variants made by FN, they do not have the lead free primers and will outlast our lifetime if properly stored.

At the cost of the 195 and 198 variants, it isn't worth it to me to buy a case of them as I won't shoot a case of defensive ammo, nor  be able to replace it easily as it is harder to find.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]
i carry a fiveseven using 198lf.  practice with 40grain vmax.  my sights are zeroed for the 198.  the vmax hits a bit low but as long as the vmax is hitting directly under my poa at practice i really dont care.    i only use fn brand ammo.    i dont shoot it a lot, just enough for familiarization.   the safety is in the exact position my trigger finger falls when im not pressing the trigger.  

i find the gun very ergonomic for my shooting style but its harder for me to get super tight groups than i can with my p226 or xdm.  i think its due to the super skinny and long grip.  i have to work a bit harder.  i can get faster hits on 18x18inch targets than i can other guns at any range.  it just doesnt lend itself to target shooting.  

the lightweight makes it a fabulous edc if your able to owb or oc.

i use the new blackhawk serpa cqc holster for owb carry.

with the increase in badguys and peaceful muslims out murdering honest folks while wearing vests,  i feel better armed with the fiveseven that has a far better ability to stop a threat.

just my personal opinion.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:41:36 AM EDT
[#10]
yes im aware of that.   ive heard of issues with non fn marked ammo.  im not interested in testing it myself.  my 57 is never going to see a lot of ammo through it compared to what i normally shoot for handguns.  i doubt i will ever fire off all 500 of the ss198 i do have.   i bought it for carry reasons not as a everyday type shooter so finding a large ammount of ammo is not a priority.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yes im aware of that.   ive heard of issues with non fn marked ammo.  im not interested in testing it myself.  my 57 is never going to see a lot of ammo through it compared to what i normally shoot for handguns.  i doubt i will ever fire off all 500 of the ss198 i do have.   i bought it for carry reasons not as a everyday type shooter so finding a large ammount of ammo is not a priority.
View Quote

Well keep in mind the ss198 is lead free and doesn't have the shelf life of traditional ammo. Also that whatever year you bought it doesn't necessarily mean it was manufactured that year, check the head stamps.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I am sure this is well known, but I figured I would mention it.  All the FN rounds for the 5.7X28 that end in LF stand for Lead Free primers.  Lead free primers have been debated for a decade on lifespan.   I have read dozens of write ups by ammunition companies, industry professionals, and even called FN a few times to get a few opinions.  The lead free primers do not bode well for long term storage as they degrade in performance unlike leaded primers.  

So while the SS197SR ammo isn't as good as some of the HP variants made by FN, they do not have the lead free primers and will outlast our lifetime if properly stored.

At the cost of the 195 and 198 variants, it isn't worth it to me to buy a case of them as I won't shoot a case of defensive ammo, nor  be able to replace it easily as it is harder to find.
View Quote

I think some of the earliest LeadFree 5.7 ammo we know of is 2004-2005 ish. I have a lot of 2005 SS195LF, and it still goes bang. FN has stated before that properly stored the LF primers used in select LF rounds would last indefinitely. I guess I'll store that SS195LF for another 10 years and check back :D

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 5:24:13 AM EDT
[#13]
OP i am one of the biggest supporters of 5.7x28 on this board. But if you want a daily carry SD pistol go look somewhere else.

the five seven is about the same size as a fullsize 1911. while it is a ton of fun to shoot and 200 yard CM hits on a USDPA target are easy. the five seven is varmint or pinking pistol.  the 30 round mag is about 1/2 as long as a 30 rnd for a beretta 92 or glockand an xdm 9m folds 20 rounds of 9mm.  so if capacity is your driver you can do it in 9mm.

but if you want a fun gun pistol to rock out to 200 meters at the range with get a five seven.  

In fla you can hunt turkey with a rifle. I'll tell you a ps90 loaded with blue tips is one amazing turkey gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP i am one of the biggest supporters of 5.7x28 on this board. But if you want a daily carry SD pistol go look somewhere else.

the five seven is about the same size as a fullsize 1911. while it is a ton of fun to shoot and 200 yard CM hits on a USDPA target are easy. the five seven is varmint or pinking pistol.  the 30 round mag is about 1/2 as long as a 30 rnd for a beretta 92 or glockand an xdm 9m folds 20 rounds of 9mm.  so if capacity is your driver you can do it in 9mm.

but if you want a fun gun pistol to rock out to 200 meters at the range with get a five seven.  

In fla you can hunt turkey with a rifle. I'll tell you a ps90 loaded with blue tips is one amazing turkey gun.
View Quote

Not true at all. Lot of people on the interweb posting pics/stories/videos of hunting and killing hogs and deer using the five seven and PS90. The cartridge does what FNH spent millions on designing it to do...it kills man weight/size animals and does it well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not true at all. Lot of people on the interweb posting pics/stories/videos of hunting and killing hogs and deer using the five seven and PS90. The cartridge does what FNH spent millions on designing it to do...it kills man weight/size animals and does it well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True story. I don't recall where exactly, but I saw an AAR on some hunting forum. Guy was using a PS90 with SS197 for whitetail. It made a horrible pulpy mess in the chest cavity, akin to the damage I've seen my Scar 17 do. I was as impressed as I was surprised. Keep in mind the 197 round, however, was tremendously aided by the 16" barrel length.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:08:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Novelty gun.

Sold mine without regret.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:57:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Excellent gun...

We use them all the time...

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 4:11:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Just no

Here's why
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

After 3 minutes, I couldn't listen to anymore of that CRAP. One of the people talking sounded like he was stoned, there were no FACTS presented.

Again the U.S. Secret Service trusts the 5.7X28 for protecting the POTUS, the round was devastating when it was used by Hasen in the Ft. Hood shootings, and it's the round of choice for Mexican Drug Cartels. Reportedly they pay $5,000.00 to obtain FN 5.7 pistols.

FACTS include that most pistol rounds over the years have had well documented failures to stop individuals. This includes the .45 acp and the 9mm.

Comments from a Trauma Surgeon....

Real Gunshot Wounds

The point here is that no single ammunition that is typically used by law enforcement officers today can reliably claim to have superior stopping power.

I have seen a .22 caliber bullet completely incapacitate someone and a .45 ACP fail to achieve that result. People and animals shot with 10mm rounds and .357 SIG rounds have continued to run from the police. I have been on scene as a tactical medical provider when a suicidal person shot himself in the head with a .45 Colt round resulting in instant death. And I have seen the same results in suicides that used smaller calibers, including .22, .25, and .32. I have also seen people hit with 9mm, .40, and .45 without so much as staggering or slowing their verbal or physical activities.

So we come back to the original question: Which ammunition has the best stopping power? I can't answer that question. What I can say is that you should look for ammunition that reliably lives up to its claims of penetration and expansion but don't believe that these two factors alone are related to stopping power.

The ultimate stopping power rests with your training with your weapon system. Accurate hits in any reasonable caliber will "stop" a person if that person has experienced enough brain or spinal cord damage to interrupt regular neurologic impulses from reaching vital areas of the body or the person has hemorrhaged enough blood to lower his or her blood pressure where the brain no longer is able to function well. You can also stop a person if a major bone shatters after a bullet injures it, but does that stop the fight?

Stopping power is a marketing tool and should be dropped from our discussions of ballistic performance until such time as ammunition effectiveness is measured by more means than just the results of gelatin and barrier tests. When ammunition companies or regulatory agencies begin to use computer simulations, simulant tests, animal models, autopsy results, and trauma surgeon operation reports with hospital summaries to determine the effectiveness of their products, then we will know which ammunition can be labeled as having the "best stopping power." And this claim will be based on scientific data rather than incomplete ballistic testing.

Until then, shot placement with any commercially available ammunition will offer you the best chance of maximizing your duty ammunition's stopping power.

Another REAL WORLD example...

Police Sgt. Timothy Gramins now carries 145 rounds of ammo on him, every day, without fail.  Why? Because he was involved in a shootout where the bad guy just Would Not Stop, even though he was hit 14 times(!) with .45 ACP bullets(!)  From a full-sized Glock 21!  In general it would be hard to carry much more gun than a Glock 21.  Now, part of the internet gun banter is that “.45 ACP won’t just kill a man, it’ll also kill his soul”… or, another is to say “.45: because why shoot twice?”  But in Sgt. Gramins’ case, he had to fire magazine after magazine at this attacker, and he scored 14 hits, and at least six of those hits would have been fatal: the attacker was hit in the heart, both lungs, the liver, the diaphragm, and a kidney.  You cannot fault Sgt. Gramins’ shot placement!  And you can’t fault his choice of weapon or caliber; .45 ACP is about as good as it gets in handguns.  But the simple fact of the matter is, the perpetrator simply Would Not Stop.  All in all, Sgt. Gramins fired 33 rounds, hitting 14 times.  The attacker fired a total of 21 rounds from two different handguns.  Gramins finally took the attacker down with three shots to the head — but even then, the attacker was still alive when taken to the emergency room.  He would (probably) have died from any of those six shots before the head shots, but the big question is: when?  Certainly not immediately, and those shots didn’t take him out of the fight — he continued to fire at Sgt. Gramins, and could have potentially killed the officer, even though he would (likely) have eventually died from his injuries.  Again, it’s not about killing, it’s about STOPPING, and in this case the perpetrator simply would not stop, even though he’d been hit with lots of big .45 ACP bullets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just no

Here's why

After 3 minutes, I couldn't listen to anymore of that CRAP. One of the people talking sounded like he was stoned, there were no FACTS presented.

Again the U.S. Secret Service trusts the 5.7X28 for protecting the POTUS, the round was devastating when it was used by Hasen in the Ft. Hood shootings, and it's the round of choice for Mexican Drug Cartels. Reportedly they pay $5,000.00 to obtain FN 5.7 pistols.

FACTS include that most pistol rounds over the years have had well documented failures to stop individuals. This includes the .45 acp and the 9mm.

Comments from a Trauma Surgeon....

Real Gunshot Wounds

The point here is that no single ammunition that is typically used by law enforcement officers today can reliably claim to have superior stopping power.

I have seen a .22 caliber bullet completely incapacitate someone and a .45 ACP fail to achieve that result. People and animals shot with 10mm rounds and .357 SIG rounds have continued to run from the police. I have been on scene as a tactical medical provider when a suicidal person shot himself in the head with a .45 Colt round resulting in instant death. And I have seen the same results in suicides that used smaller calibers, including .22, .25, and .32. I have also seen people hit with 9mm, .40, and .45 without so much as staggering or slowing their verbal or physical activities.

So we come back to the original question: Which ammunition has the best stopping power? I can't answer that question. What I can say is that you should look for ammunition that reliably lives up to its claims of penetration and expansion but don't believe that these two factors alone are related to stopping power.

The ultimate stopping power rests with your training with your weapon system. Accurate hits in any reasonable caliber will "stop" a person if that person has experienced enough brain or spinal cord damage to interrupt regular neurologic impulses from reaching vital areas of the body or the person has hemorrhaged enough blood to lower his or her blood pressure where the brain no longer is able to function well. You can also stop a person if a major bone shatters after a bullet injures it, but does that stop the fight?

Stopping power is a marketing tool and should be dropped from our discussions of ballistic performance until such time as ammunition effectiveness is measured by more means than just the results of gelatin and barrier tests. When ammunition companies or regulatory agencies begin to use computer simulations, simulant tests, animal models, autopsy results, and trauma surgeon operation reports with hospital summaries to determine the effectiveness of their products, then we will know which ammunition can be labeled as having the "best stopping power." And this claim will be based on scientific data rather than incomplete ballistic testing.

Until then, shot placement with any commercially available ammunition will offer you the best chance of maximizing your duty ammunition's stopping power.

Another REAL WORLD example...

Police Sgt. Timothy Gramins now carries 145 rounds of ammo on him, every day, without fail.  Why? Because he was involved in a shootout where the bad guy just Would Not Stop, even though he was hit 14 times(!) with .45 ACP bullets(!)  From a full-sized Glock 21!  In general it would be hard to carry much more gun than a Glock 21.  Now, part of the internet gun banter is that “.45 ACP won’t just kill a man, it’ll also kill his soul”… or, another is to say “.45: because why shoot twice?”  But in Sgt. Gramins’ case, he had to fire magazine after magazine at this attacker, and he scored 14 hits, and at least six of those hits would have been fatal: the attacker was hit in the heart, both lungs, the liver, the diaphragm, and a kidney.  You cannot fault Sgt. Gramins’ shot placement!  And you can’t fault his choice of weapon or caliber; .45 ACP is about as good as it gets in handguns.  But the simple fact of the matter is, the perpetrator simply Would Not Stop.  All in all, Sgt. Gramins fired 33 rounds, hitting 14 times.  The attacker fired a total of 21 rounds from two different handguns.  Gramins finally took the attacker down with three shots to the head — but even then, the attacker was still alive when taken to the emergency room.  He would (probably) have died from any of those six shots before the head shots, but the big question is: when?  Certainly not immediately, and those shots didn’t take him out of the fight — he continued to fire at Sgt. Gramins, and could have potentially killed the officer, even though he would (likely) have eventually died from his injuries.  Again, it’s not about killing, it’s about STOPPING, and in this case the perpetrator simply would not stop, even though he’d been hit with lots of big .45 ACP bullets.

I agree with you, handguns suck at stopping people. I you go back and listen to that entire series that is stated multiple times. Also if you listen to more than a few minuets facts were presented on why handguns suck including 5.7. The panelist "Gary" AKA DocGKR is fairly well know to be an SME on the subject of terminal performance, when he says something is ineffective I tend to listen. The Ft. Hood shooting was discussed at around the 8 min mark if your interested. It is addressed by the the guy I'm assuming you think sounds high, he usually drinks during these recordings and many times its 3 or 4 in the morning when he is on so I'm no surprised his speech is slurred.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Exactly...

Best tool for our job in the mountains...  They're constantly within reach or worn...

With the same as backups...

Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top