Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2016 8:46:05 PM EDT
Which ammo grain is good for this FNS 9MM?
115gr is the common i guess.
147 gr is the highest I seen.
I know the higher the grain the less impact it would have? Or is it lower the grain the higher the speed / power?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Bullet weight & velocity are all over the place, so don't assume something before you see the specs.

Generally, 115gr ammo shoots a bit high for me, about 2-3" higher than POA. 124gr shoots dead-on for me, so that's what I use. The only time I use 147gr is when I use my suppressor & subsonic ammo.

For carry ammo, *I* use 124gr +P of name brands: Hornady, Federal, etc. For practice ammo, I use PMC or GA Arms in 124gr FMJ.

My .o2
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bullet weight & velocity are all over the place, so don't assume something before you see the specs.

Generally, 115gr ammo shoots a bit high for me, about 2-3" higher than POA. 124gr shoots dead-on for me, so that's what I use. The only time I use 147gr is when I use my suppressor & subsonic ammo.

For carry ammo, *I* use 124gr +P of name brands: Hornady, Federal, etc. Fpr [ractice ammo, I use PMC or GA Arms in 124gr FMJ.

My .o2
View Quote

Thanks  BobCole. I'm guessing 147 gr. are GOOD for noise suppression?  
I'm just looking for ammo with lowest recoil that has good stopping power.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks  BobCole. I'm guessing 147 gr. are GOOD for noise suppression?  
I'm just looking for ammo with lowest recoil that has good stopping power.
View Quote

Be sure the 147gr IS subsonic, otherwise it won't suppress correctly. I could be wrong, but I don't think all 147gr is in fact subsonic. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong there.

Unless you have some carpal tunnel issues, you shouldn't have any issues with recoil in the 115 or 124gr ammo options. If you need to, stay away from the +P rated ammo as it's higher velocity.

Most experienced shooters will agree that the 147gr ammo by & large has less penetration than the 115 or 124gr options.

Hope this helps.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top