Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 12:06:59 PM EDT
First off, let me say I've had my FNX-45 for several years with no complaints. It's always been accurate & reliable with just about any kind of ammo, even my el cheapo cast slug reloads. One of the few pistols I own that I've never felt like modifying or upgrading.

But I think it's time to do something about that cheese grater grip. So my options seem to be to cover it up with a wraparound grip like the Agrip (a suede-like material, I've used one on a Glock G34 & a Kahr Pm45 with good results) or a Talon rubber grip, or take some sand paper and work it down. The sandpaper route doesn't scare me, but I'd like to do it right and make it look right if I DIY.

Anyone else sanded their grips down? Or added an aftermarket wrap? The grip feels pretty good now so any kind of rubber slip-on grip is out. I've tried a Hogue, a Pachymar & a Limbsaver slip on grip on other pistols and never liked them enough to keep them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Wear gloves?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, if "the grip feels pretty good now," what's the problem?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, if "the grip feels pretty good now," what's the problem?
View Quote

Meant to say that the overall shape & circumference of the grip is 'pretty good'. I'd just like to change the texture.
Shooting with gloves it's a non-issue, but I just don't shoot with gloves unless it's cold.

Thought about using a fine grit foam sanding block and slowly working it down. Tape around the raised grip area to keep from scratching the frame.
If I over do it, I can always just lay an aftermarket grip over it anyways.
Was just curious if anyone else had tried this.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen customized and stippled FNX's, so I'm sure it's been done.

I'd hesitate to permanently alter mine for comfort.  But that's just me.  I buy and sell a lot because my desires change.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Just added an AGRIP wrap on my FNX-45, I think this is gonna do the trick, it's thick enough you can't feel the grip texture but doesn't give up anything in traction.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the grip but to answer your question if it was me I'd take a very fine sandpaper and lightly go over it by hand slowly, with nice long/even strokes. The goal would be to just take down the pointy tips of the grip texture, to remove any sharpness, not to remove the texture all together.

Just go slow and keep checking along the way, you can always remove more but you can't put it back.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the grip but to answer your question if it was me I'd take a very fine sandpaper and lightly go over it by hand slowly, with nice long/even strokes. The goal would be to just take down the pointy tips of the grip texture, to remove any sharpness, not to remove the texture all together.

Just go slow and keep checking along the way, you can always remove more but you can't put it back.
View Quote

Perhaps even a hard rub with some felt might knock it down enough, and not mar the finish.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top