Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2016 11:16:17 AM EDT

Looking forward to getting this. It'll be my first striker fired pistol in more than a decade, so I'll have to get used to the trigger.

Planning on ordering the base plate extensions, and looks like I'll have a local outfit build me a kydex holster for it. What else do I need?

3/28- Took it to the range today. 100 rounds fired, and wound up w/4 stovepipes, and twice the slide didn't lock back on empty. I'll reserve judgement on the malfunctions until its broken in. Just sort of funny, since I've owned 10 1911s that never needed a break-in, nor did they ever malfunction.

Felt good in the hand, recoil was nice and light. Overall, fun to shoot. Didn't bother shooting for accuracy, this time.

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots of ammo.

Because it will be fun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Range report up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't have the long slide but mine had a few stovepipes at first. Probably the stiffest recoil spring I've ever seen. Left it locked back for awhile and it worked just fine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't have the long slide but mine had a few stovepipes at first. Probably the stiffest recoil spring I've ever seen. Left it locked back for awhile and it worked just fine.
View Quote

I had issues out of two of my gen4 glocks out of the gate.  50 rds of 124gr aguila nato loosened them up just fine. After that I could shoot my 130 pf powderpuff loads.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought mine very lightly used.  No issues so far.  Nice shooter, I like how it feels and shoots, but I think I prefer shooting my G34.  Maybe it is just familiarity.

I think the FNS9L has Glock beat when it comes to the ambi controls.  The mag release is better on the FN, and I like the way they shrouded the slide lock/release.  I like the feel of hinged trigger of the FN better than the tabbed trigger on the Glock too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Loving mine
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]
A few more range trips, and no more issues with the pistol. Happy now.

Ordered a couple of the Carbon Arms extended base pads. First, had problems with the follower, so I shaved the back side down. Still tight as hell, but I can get it loaded to 23 rds. Tested with no problems. I'll be ordering a couple more, for my other 2 spare mags. Carry mag will stay at 17, for flush fit.

Don't think I'll have a problem that can't be solved carrying 64 rounds on body!

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Over 1100 rds through mine now with no cleaning.  No malfunction of any kind yet.  Going to 2k
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A few more range trips, and no more issues with the pistol. Happy now.

Ordered a couple of the Carbon Arms extended base pads. First, had problems with the follower, so I shaved the back side down. Still tight as hell, but I can get it loaded to 23 rds. Tested with no problems. I'll be ordering a couple more, for my other 2 spare mags. Carry mag will stay at 17, for flush fit.

Don't think I'll have a problem that can't be solved carrying 64 rounds on body!

<a href="http://s264.photobucket.com/user/Birddog4570/media/2016-07-30%2011.44.59_zpsp0hmvjhj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii190/Birddog4570/2016-07-30%2011.44.59_zpsp0hmvjhj.jpg</a>
View Quote

How is that mag extension working out?  Expensive, but damn.. it would be nice to have that extra few rounds on tap for HD and competition.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]

On all 4 that I now have, I had to shave down the back of the plastic follower. Still haven't managed to get more than 20 in mag #4. I thought I'd give it a few days of sitting full, then try again. If not, I'll have to take more off; and I've already shaved more than the other 3.

Have only taken #s 1 and 2 to the range, but they functioned flawlessly on initial testing. I'll be taking it to the range again this Sunday, so we'll see how they work after 3 weeks sitting fully loaded...which I expect the same flawless result.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
On all 4 that I now have, I had to shave down the back of the plastic follower. Still haven't managed to get more than 20 in mag #4. I thought I'd give it a few days of sitting full, then try again. If not, I'll have to take more off; and I've already shaved more than the other 3.

Have only taken #s 1 and 2 to the range, but they functioned flawlessly on initial testing. I'll be taking it to the range again this Sunday, so we'll see how they work after 3 weeks sitting fully loaded...which I expect the same flawless result.

View Quote

Interesting.  I wish they sold a complete mag, or a follower that is made for their spec.  I don't generally like fiddling and customizing like that. :(
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Interesting.  I wish they sold a complete mag, or a follower that is made for their spec.  I don't generally like fiddling and customizing like that. :(
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just waking up, so I'm a little fuzzy. They claim no modification necessary, but that's not true. However, it was really simple to do. I wouldn't let it be a reason not to buy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't know the L version was available without manual safety, that's good to know.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I didn't know the L version was available without manual safety, that's good to know.
View Quote

Honestly, because I've always been a 1911 guy, I'd be happy if it did have one. But, it doesn't bother me without it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#15]
The manual safety on the FNS is so small that a 1911 guy or really anyone is going to have some issues with it.  It doesn't need one.

For what those mag extensions probably cost, why not just carry another extra mag?  That would be 69rds and you wouldn't have to screw with the followers.

I like mine but I am starting to be sure that I'm going to have to get the L upper for it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I alway carry a minimum of one spare. The weight with the additions is negligible, to me. And, why not have more rounds, 'cause freedom.

Got a mag loader, and it makes loading all 4 much easier.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top