Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2015 2:36:53 PM EDT
wondering what peoples thoughts were on the FNS-9c, I currently have an FNS-9 but haven't been able to get my hands on the compact to try it out!

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I am about to buy a FNH FNS9C!
I have been looking at:
Walther P99C AS

HK P2000SK LEM

FNH FNS9C
All of them are great guns, but you get a lot more for your money with the FNS, IMHO. All three have great triggers. Several Border Patrol guys here bought the FNS and they prefer them over their HK's. I am a lefty and it is fully ambidextrous.

I have read reports that some people are experiencing magazine drop issues with some of them. The mags are not dropping free and you have to pull it out. FNH has not addressed the issue, yet. However, according to others, you have to push and release for it to drop. If you hold the button, it does not release.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I just tried all 3 of my mags just now and didn't have any issues with them dropping free. It's been raining here so I still haven't had a chance to hit the range. Can't wait!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#4]
So I have only come across the FNS Compact with no manual safety and with contrast sights. Any idea if the version with night sights is available yet?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So I have only come across the FNS Compact with no manual safety and with contrast sights. Any idea if the version with night sights is available yet?
View Quote
Yes, they are out in the wild.

These were in stock a week ago: https://www.premiertactical.com/p-96040-fn-fns-9c-9mm-2-12rd-1-17rd-blk-ns.aspx

You could just get the standard sight version and put a set of Ameriglo sights on it.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]

I think that is only $15 over dealer cost...
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, fellas.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:15:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Late to the thread, I know.

The FNS9c is practically identical in dimensions to the m&p9c.  I really like the way they feel, especially with the flat back strap.  Trigger is pretty nice, though from what I understand the m&ps have much easier triggers to tune up or replace.  

FNS9c is a great value.  2 12rd mags and a sleeved 17rd mag come with, and that's nice.  I'm looking really hard at getting one for ccw, and then the longslide for games/nightstand duty.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Late to the thread, I know.

The FNS9c is practically identical in dimensions to the m&p9c.  I really like the way they feel, especially with the flat back strap.  Trigger is pretty nice, though from what I understand the m&ps have much easier triggers to tune up or replace.  

FNS9c is a great value.  2 12rd mags and a sleeved 17rd mag come with, and that's nice.  I'm looking really hard at getting one for ccw, and then the longslide for games/nightstand duty.
View Quote

They (FNS-9C) are out there, brand new with night sights, for $440.

Order one before the $100 rebate expires!

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Got mine 2 weeks ago for $440 with 3 mags and night sights. It's a great little gun, and an awesome alternative to the typical Glock handguns that everyone at your local range has.

Also, the Alien Gear Holster (Cloak Tuck 2.0) is very comfortable and concealable at 4:30-5:00 o'clock position. I recommend it, especially since the price has dropped even since I bought mine.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I have heard negative things about the longer term durability of the AG holsters.

Neoprene isn't going to last as long as Leather or Kydex.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have heard negative things about the longer term durability of the AG holsters.
Neoprene isn't going to last as long as Leather or Kydex.
View Quote

Probably true, however they have a great warranty program that takes care of all issues, and they even will send you a new holster for a new gun if you send them back your old holster. Also, neoprene is only on one side of the holster base - the other side is a synthetic material similar to leather. Then the actual piece that retains the firearm is a compound that is stronger/more durable than Kydex.

But whatever, for the price, it was good for me, and so far it has been incredibly comfortable and concealable.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow... sucked into their marketing hype much?

Boltaron is not stronger or more durable than Kydex...

BTW, a good warranty means nothing to me if the holster fails when I need it.

Hi Point has a good warranty too, but I am not going to carry one as a piece of life-saving equipment.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:49:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow... sucked into their marketing hype much?

Boltaron is not stronger or more durable than Kydex...

BTW, a good warranty means nothing to me if the holster fails when I need it.

Hi Point has a good warranty too, but I am not going to carry one as a piece of life-saving equipment.
View Quote

I don't care if you buy one or not, I like mine. That's all I was saying.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#17]
My thoughts/experiences on the FNS9C:

Price: I got mine (with night sights and no manual safety) for $505. Not a bad price at all, especially since you get two 12 round magazines, and one 17 round magazine.

Fit/finish: Great fit and finish... not to mention the firearm looks sexy as hell in my opinion.

Trigger: Personally, I love the trigger. I will admit that there is a bit more take up than I prefer, but the break is crisp and fairly light. It is definitely one of the best striker fired triggers I've snapped. With this being said, my roommate's Sig P320's trigger is lighter, with less take up, but not as crisp. (Everyone seems to compare the FNS9C and the P320, so I figured I'd throw that in there). Honestly, I prefer the heavier trigger with the more crisp break in my FNS9C to the lighter and less crisp break of the P320.

Feel: Originally, I thought I loved the feel of the gun. I have small-medium sized hands and thought the firearm felt great in my hand at first. Once I got it home, I put on the flat backstrap and decided I preferred that to the humped or raised one. I took it to the range and noticed after 100 or so rounds that I had extreme discomfort in my right thumb's lower knuckle. I am not sure if that is due to my hand size, or my grip, but I don't get that with any other handgun.

Sights: I absolutely love the sights. Like I said, I have the night sights, but the feature that really makes me love these is the rear sight. Im not sure if this is a FN thing or not, but the bottom of the rear sight opening comes to a point, rather than being flat. This makes getting a proper sight picture and castle extremely simple and fast.

Magazines: I have yet to determine which magazine I will use for carry. I found that I was constantly going back with my grips when using the 12 round flush magazine. I would shoot 5 shots trying to squeeze my pinky up on the grip then 5 shots with my pinky under the magazine. I wish the grip would be a tad bit longer or even shorter so I wouldn't have an option and be forced to shoot the same way every time. The extended 12 round magazine feels great. I can get my whole hand on the grip comfortably, with a little extra room. Obviously the 17 round magazine with extender sleeve makes it feel like a full-sized handgun.

Accuracy: I shot pretty well with my FNS9C. Even better than I did with my brothers full sized Sig P226. At 10 yards I was key holing shots. I did a couple sheets of dot torture and consistently scored 21-23/25 at 7 yards. I attribute this to the sights and crisp trigger. I'm no expert marksman, but I'd like to think Im better than most (some). I saw the same groups with this thing as I do with my full size Beretta M9.

Reliability: I was a bit disappointed in this aspect. I had the slide fail to lock back on the last shot happen 4 times out of my first 100. I am not sure if it needs to get past a break in period... or even if striker fired handguns need a break in period for that matter. I also had the slide lock back on a loaded magazine once, but I blame this on my high grip and my thumb probably hitting the slide lock lever. (It locked back on a loaded magazine on my 5th round with the handgun... most likely just a high grip).

Magazine release: I really don't have a true opinion on the mag release buttons. I don't think they are as bad as some people say they are, but I'll be first to admit that it takes a bit more effort to release the mag. Once fully pressed, the magazine, no matter which one, falls freely.

Other features: I absolutely love the slide serrations, both front and rear. They are definitely deep enough that you can get a great grip on the slide... and they look amazing.

Take down: Although I originally thought that it would break down like any other polymer striker fired handgun, it does not. Again, Im not sure if this is an FN thing or not, but I found that you need to have the slide lined up with the frame as you pull the trigger to free the slide. I found this out the hard way and spent close to an hour trying to figure out why the slide wasn't coming off... I guess I should've paid more attention to the manual. Once the slide is off, everything is normal. The barrel does that a bit more effort to come out/put back it, but I think this is just due to the tight fit which probably leads to the great accuracy. Reassembly is no real issue.

Overall impressions: I really do like this firearm, and I think it'll be my primary concealed carry handgun... that is if I can get the failure to lock back the slide issue to work itself out. It is short enough (with the flush magazine) that it should conceal with ease. The sights, trigger, and accuracy are by the far the best part of the FNS9C in my opinion. The low points are the magazine release, grip, and reliability. I had to add the grip and reliability to that list simply due to my thumb discomfort and the slide lock issues.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an FNS-40C, and I love this gun.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

(Snip)

Reliability: I was a bit disappointed in this aspect. I had the slide fail to lock back on the last shot happen 4 times out of my first 100. I am not sure if it needs to get past a break in period... or even if striker fired handguns need a break in period for that matter. I also had the slide lock back on a loaded magazine once, but I blame this on my high grip and my thumb probably hitting the slide lock lever. (It locked back on a loaded magazine on my 5th round with the handgun... most likely just a high grip.  I have the same problem, and it is grip adjustment to keep the finger from riding the slide lock.  Never had the problem with the Sig, my old duty platform, but since the weapon is ambidextrous, this has been an issue.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(Snip)

Reliability: I was a bit disappointed in this aspect. I had the slide fail to lock back on the last shot happen 4 times out of my first 100. I am not sure if it needs to get past a break in period... or even if striker fired handguns need a break in period for that matter. I also had the slide lock back on a loaded magazine once, but I blame this on my high grip and my thumb probably hitting the slide lock lever. (It locked back on a loaded magazine on my 5th round with the handgun... most likely just a high grip.  I have the same problem, and it is grip adjustment to keep the finger from riding the slide lock.  Never had the problem with the Sig, my old duty platform, but since the weapon is ambidextrous, this has been an issue.  

Magazine release: I really don't have a true opinion on the mag release buttons. I don't think they are as bad as some people say they are, but I'll be first to admit that it takes a bit more effort to release the mag. Once fully pressed, the magazine, no matter which one, falls freely.    Those that do not like the mag release on the FNS Compact can purchase a full size FNS mag release, which will work no problem.  I have already tested it swapping out the mag release, and it works great.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

(Snip)

Magazine release: I really don't have a true opinion on the mag release buttons. I don't think they are as bad as some people say they are, but I'll be first to admit that it takes a bit more effort to release the mag. Once fully pressed, the magazine, no matter which one, falls freely.    Those that do not like the mag release on the FNS Compact can purchase a full size FNS mag release, which will work no problem.  I have already tested it swapping out the mag release, and it works great.  

+1 to the red bold part.

I thought I would like the lower profile mag release. However, I am switching mine to the full size release for consistency.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I played with an FNS 9c yesterday. Really like the size. Especially with the pinky extension mag. Trigger feels pretty good. Crisp for a striker. Good reset. It's a little heavy though imo. Could be 1-2lb lighter.

I thought the gun was broken though. I pressed and pressed the mag release. Nothing. Pressed very hard. Nothing. I had to rip the mag out every time. That's a big problem to me and I heard FN is working on it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I got to pick one up at LGS. Have to say I think it has the best grip in its class. Lack of a after
Market trigger job only thing keeping my from getting one. Got a feeling I will end up with one anyways.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I got to pick one up at LGS. Have to say I think it has the best grip in its class. Lack of a after
Market trigger job only thing keeping my from getting one. Got a feeling I will end up with one anyways.
View Quote

Pretty much my thoughts exactly as well. The trigger is nice, but real heavy. If there was an easy way to lower the weight like with glocks then I'd be all about it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#24]
How are they compared to a G43 or M&P9c?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:24:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How are they compared to a G43 or M&P9c?
View Quote

Well the g43 is a single stack. Compares better to a 26. I'm going to buy one and find out. I had trouble getting the mags to drop even in the store. But I think you can put the full size mag release button on the compact and that seems to help a lot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone else with any experience with this gun? Hickok45 and Mrgunsgear seem to love this gun and I'm thinking about buying it!
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm interested in knowing if anyone has issues with slide bite on Glocks and doesn't with the FNS9c.  It looks like the beavertail on the compact is different than the full size (with which I don't have trouble).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I own a FNP 45 Tactical and decided to buy the old lady the fns9c for a Christmas present. I love this little gun. Paid $460 and some change for it at LGS. I love it so much in fact i told that store that the next one they get in is mine too. Whats this about a $100 rebate?  Is this a FN thing or a particular site thing?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anyone else with any experience with this gun? Hickok45 and Mrgunsgear seem to love this gun and I'm thinking about buying it!
View Quote

I bought one for my first CCW.  Only failures it has had with over 500 rounds though it is failed to lock back after empty mag twice.  Not a huge deal, I will probably never carry a spare mag unless I travel away from my AO.

Fully ambi controls, subtle chamber indicator, heavy trigger but crisp.  I like it.  My only other gripe other than the failed to lock back issue is the slide release is terrible.  Slingshot the slide to make your life easier.

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I bought one for my first CCW.  Only failures it has had with over 500 rounds though it is failed to lock back after empty mag twice.  Not a huge deal, I will probably never carry a spare mag unless I travel away from my AO.

Fully ambi controls, subtle chamber indicator, heavy trigger but crisp.  I like it.  My only other gripe other than the failed to lock back issue is the slide release is terrible.  Slingshot the slide to make your life easier.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because it's a slide stop. Not meant to be used as a release. It works decent well as a release for righties, but lefties, it doesn't  very well if at all, just like on my FNP-45T.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got the .40 version, absolutely love it. I've put over 600 rds through it without any failures of any kind, mostly shooting WWB but also some Perfecta and Hornady Critical Defense. My one complaint is with the magazines not dropping freely/as freely as I'd like.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's because it's a slide stop. Not meant to be used as a release. It works decent well as a release for righties, but lefties, it doesn't  very well if at all, just like on my FNP-45T.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok now I don't feel so retarded sling shotting the slide now
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top