Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2014 4:43:35 PM EDT
I just picked up an fnx 45 tactical and I need to remove the sights before I cerakote the slide. I'm looking for input from anyone who's done this on methods, tools, etc.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a universal sight press and changing the sights on my FNP .45 Tactical was a piece of cake, very easy to do with the right tool.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a universal sight press and changing the sights on my FNP .45 Tactical was a piece of cake, very easy to do with the right tool.
View Quote

Excellent. Which model press, please?  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine is a B&J Machine P500 Universal Sight Tool. Of all I have seen or used, it is the most truly useful universal sight press I have encountered. It usually can be found for ~$120.00, or so. I have found it useful on H&K, Glock, SIG, and several other minor brands of handguns.

I broke a bolt, and one of the screw-in press pieces on mine, and called the company directly to order the replacements. While talking to the owner, he informed me of an update to my old original tool and asked if I would like to upgrade. It wasn't until after I got off the phone with him that it occurred to me that he hadn't asked for my credit card info. I called back and offered to give it to him, and he declined, telling me that there would be no charge for either the replacement parts or the upgrade, not even shipping. I can't say if this is his normal policy, or just my lucky day, but it surely shocked me to the core. Sure enough, about 3 days later, I had a package in the mail with all the parts I needed.

So, the upshot here is this: not only is it a very well made, flexible, & functional tool, but the maker is a righteous guy who stands behind his product fully. Would I buy the tool to do just one pistol? No, probably not. But I have a bunch of handguns, and particular likes and dislikes about the sights on them. This tool has easily paid for itself over the years, & I've never been sorry I bought it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Good stuff, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:58:44 AM EDT
[#5]
a wooden dowel and synthetic lube works for me. maybe 6 bucks.
cut the dowel into 6 inch lengths, if it cracks just rotate it or use another piece.
id rather spend 120.00 on ammo
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
cut the dowel into 6 inch lengths, if it cracks just rotate it or use another piece.
View Quote

Use the proper tool to do a proper job. As I said above, I wouldn't spend the money to work on a single pistol, but I work on many, many handguns over a long period of time, and it has more than paid for itself over time. It's also worth it to me to be able to do a proper, quality, job in just a few minutes, rather than duking it out the hard way for far longer than it should take, at the risk of screwing something up to bubba it together on the cheap. YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

On a $1,200 pistol? Come on, man.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Update, FWIW.
I ended up getting a Maryland Gun Works Universal Sight Tool.
Sight Tool at Midway

It is pricey, but very well built and I'll be using it on many pistols.  It took the super tight sights off my xd45 with no problems.

ETA, I removed the sights from my FNX45 Tactical last night, with no issues. The MGW tool is adjustable to account for the taller sights.   I'll cerakote the slide sometime this week.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Use the proper tool to do a proper job. As I said above, I wouldn't spend the money to work on a single pistol, but I work on many, many handguns over a long period of time, and it has more than paid for itself over time. It's also worth it to me to be able to do a proper, quality, job in just a few minutes, rather than duking it out the hard way for far longer than it should take, at the risk of screwing something up to bubba it together on the cheap. YMMV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

try to move the rear sight on an XDM or Kimber with your wood dowel, I am pretty sure they are installed with Thor's hammer...
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll cerakote the slide sometime this week.
View Quote

how about the pics? been a few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#12]
You can do it without a sight pusher, though at a mininum you need a paded vice, and some brass punches., and a good small gun hammer.

However, as I just found out, do not tap on the actual post of a sight, especially a high one.  No matter how tempting it is to use that instead of the acutal base.

I was pounding away on the front high sight on my USP, just with a wooden dowl rod, when I saw I was starting to bend the sight from the torque moment.  I had to bend it back to get it straight and install it.

So, only use the acutal base to move the sights in.  Also, cover up the area with some electircal tape to prevent mars.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top