Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 8:33:51 PM EDT
obviously the title is the question. looking at pics of the 2 guns, I can't see any significant differences between the 2. can someone enlighten me?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
the fnx resembles the fnp 45 with a plastic safety lever and different checkering
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:25:08 AM EDT
[#2]
The FNX resembles the FNP 45 with the squared slide and safety/decocker lever. The handgrip is also changed, as well as the mag release buttons. The sights are better on the FNX.

It's a small evolutionary change. Both guns shoot well. Some of the FNP models do not have the manual safety, only the decocker.

Az
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#3]
They use different magazines as well.

The FNX ups capacity to 17 in the mag.

Also, all controls, save the take down lever, are fully ambidextrous on the FNX.

I have an FNP-40 and an FNX-9 and much prefer the aggressive "checkering" on the grip of the FNX.  It makes the FNP-40 seem quite slippery in the hand.

What the FNX does is bring all the changes that were put on the FNP-45 to the small frame FNH pistols.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I fingerbanged an FNX9 at a gun show last weekend, it feels nice and solid, I like the new safety/decocker and grip.

It didn't come home with me because I didn't feel like waiting a year and a half for aftermarket night sights or struggle to find extra mags or wait on the factory to throw a few spares on the floor for us lowly civilians.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I fingerbanged an FNX9 at a gun show last weekend, it feels nice and solid, I like the new safety/decocker and grip.

It didn't come home with me because I didn't feel like waiting a year and a half for aftermarket night sights or struggle to find extra mags or wait on the factory to throw a few spares on the floor for us lowly civilians.

Not many holsters either.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Also, all controls, save the take down lever, are fully ambidextrous on the FNX.

I have an FNP-40 and an FNX-9 and much prefer the aggressive "checkering" on the grip of the FNX.  It makes the FNP-40 seem quite slippery in the hand.

What the FNX does is bring all the changes that were put on the FNP-45 to the small frame FNH pistols.

I suppose that is why the mags changed? Kinda sucks for me, I have a FNP-9m and would appreciate mag compatibility. The FNP-9 & 40 are discontinued, right?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#7]

While I appreciate FNs effort to upgrade the action on the FNX, they really dropped the ball on the mag catch issue, making the magazines incompatable. Going from a metal decock/safety to a plastic one kinda sux too as does the snap in grip inserts.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:22:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose that is why the mags changed? Kinda sucks for me, I have a FNP-9m and would appreciate mag compatibility. The FNP-9 & 40 are discontinued, right?

The FNP's are not discontinued last I heard.  And the FNX's fit the same holsters as the FNP's.  I don't know what the deal is with mags, but I was able to get my hands on another seven for my FNX-9 so i have an even ten.  The only problem is they are a little more expensive than the FNP mags as well.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The FNP mags cannot be used in the FNX models.  However, the same mag carriers can be used since the mags are that close in size.

The same holsters can be used.

I feel for a company to come out with all the new innovations that FN put into the FNX and yet the same holsters fit that we bought for FNP's, as well as, magazines still able to be used as those in the models being replaced we should be grateful about FN's customer satisfaction commitment.  Few other manufacturers would take the prior customers' expenses into that much consideration.

I wish you continuing enjoyment with your FNX's!

Stay safe and healthy!
Be good to you and for you!
Protect all you deem as worthy!
Much success personally and professionally!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The FNP mags can be used in the FNX models.  Not the same number of rounds, but they are compatible.

This is absolutely false.

The FNP and FNX use a completely different magazine catch system. The magazines are not compatible between the two in any way.

Holsters yes.  Mag holders, yes.  Magazines, no.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The FNP mags can be used in the FNX models.  Not the same number of rounds, but they are compatible.

This is absolutely false.

The FNP and FNX use a completely different magazine catch system. The magazines are not compatible between the two in any way.

Holsters yes.  Mag holders, yes.  Magazines, no.

BlitzPig is exactly correct!            

My sincere apologies!  I misunderstood my friend's statements.  Mine has just arrived and I will be shooting it for the first time this weekend.  

Again, my apologies!

Stay safe and healthy!
Protect all that is worthy!

c5rhc  

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:38:37 AM EDT
[#12]

NO problem.

I just didn't want someone to go order a bunch of FNP mags for their new FNX and get stuck with them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#13]
It would have been nice if they could have developed the FNX mags to work in both pistols.  Have the tab  in the front as well as the cuts in the side for the FNP.  It is quite possible that they did the R&D on this,  and it just wasn't possible.  If possible they would have been able to discontinue the FNP mags and just include the new style mags with all pistols thus cutting production costs.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top