BCM
User Panel

My Ruger Mk II Stubby (Page 9 of 9)
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:  Well, I sent my OEM Mk III upper to D Wilson to have cut down, but USPS somehow did this, so I’m not sure what my next steps will be.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/IMG_6184_jpeg-3134605.JPG

Currently have a claim in for $350 replacement cost.
View Quote

You're making a claim against USPS after shipping a handgun receiver against their Postal Regulations?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 6:50:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#2]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

You're making a claim against USPS after shipping a handgun receiver against their Postal Regulations?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:  Well, I sent my OEM Mk III upper to D Wilson to have cut down, but USPS somehow did this, so I’m not sure what my next steps will be.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302703/IMG_6184_jpeg-3134605.JPG

Currently have a claim in for $350 replacement cost.

Yep. Forgot the Ruger serialized part is the upper until after I’d shipped it. We’ll see what they say.

Have a buddy who’s an FFL and he’s recommending to tell them to check their weights and balance data to see when and where the package got light. He’s dealt with similar problems before and had them resolved. I’m not holding my breath for it to be recovered.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:53:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QRB] [#3]
So here's my silly take on a "snubby" Ruger. This is a 1975 vintage Standard Auto. I have always preferred the original design, as I find it simple to take down before they goofed it up with the Mk II "improvements." This one wasn't seeing much use, and I wanted to cut and thread, but the tapered barrel can look a little odd depending upon where you chop it. Also, I am not a red-dot sight user on pistols, so I needed to preserve the fixed sights.

My eventual plan was to chuck the upper carefully in the lathe, adjust for zero run out, then drill and ream to allow the original front sight band to separate from the barrel. This done, I cut to the desired length, turned a tennon for the threads, but then cut that back by the additional width of the front sight band. I succeded in getting a nice slip fit, and after de-greasing, I mounted the band with Locktite stud grade fixative. With that done, I changed the taper of the remaining barrel to match the original as closely as posssible. That left only cutting the threads and crowning. I also made a replacement front sight blank, but after sighting in, it was so close in dimensions to the original that I simply re-installed that.

I rather like it, and I think it looks like what the factory might have offered if there was a Vietnam contract for a short, threaded Ruger Standard Auto. Perhaps there was such a contract, but i don't recall ever seeing a photo of such a creation.

I'm no real machinist, but boy, do I love having my own little machine shop to tinker around in!

IMG_2422 by Jim QRB, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By QRB:
So here's my silly take on a "snubby" Ruger. This is a 1975 vintage Standard Auto. I have always preferred the original design, as I find it simple to take down before they goofed it up with the Mk II "improvements." This one wasn't seeing much use, and I wanted to cut and thread, but the tapered barrel can look a little odd depending upon where you chop it. Also, I am not a red-dot sight user on pistols, so I needed to preserve the fixed sights.

My eventual plan was to chuck the upper carefully in the lathe, adjust for zero run out, then drill and ream to allow the original front sight band to separate from the barrel. This done, I cut to the desired length, turned a tennon for the threads, but then cut that back by the additional width of the front sight band. I succeded in getting a nice slip fit, and after de-greasing, I mounted the band with Locktite stud grade fixative. With that done, I changed the taper of the remaining barrel to match the original as closely as posssible. That left only cutting the threads and crowning. I also made a replacement front sight blank, but after sighting in, it was so close in dimensions to the original that I simply re-installed that.

I rather like it, and I think it looks like what the factory might have offered if there was a Vietnam contract for a short, threaded Ruger Standard Auto. Perhaps there was such a contract, but i don't recall ever seeing a photo of such a creation.

I'm no real machinist, but boy, do I love having my own little machine shop to tinker around in!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53563524658_3432b380d0_k.jpgIMG_2422 by Jim QRB, on Flickr
View Quote

Great work. I'd love to see how it looks with a can mounted.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:

Love that, wish I had someoneo who could do that to mine!
View Quote

Well, if the upper on these wasn't serialized, I'd be glad to take on the job, but I don't have an FFL. Show the photo to someone you trust, and I'll bet he can duplicate it without too much trouble.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Well , y’all are a bunch of bad influences.

I submitted a form 1 to build a suppressor. When it gets back I’m building what I’m calling the snubegral  , it’s going to me a mini integral suppressor that will look like a standard 6” can. Barrel will protrude 1.68 past the receiver but will be ported .61 from the receiver face…….
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By home_alone1:
Well , y’all are a bunch of bad influences.

I submitted a form 1 to build a suppressor. When it gets back I’m building what I’m calling the snubegral  , it’s going to me a mini integral suppressor that will look like a standard 6” can. Barrel will protrude 1.68 past the receiver but will be ported .61 from the receiver face…….
View Quote

Very cool, post lots of pics.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:

Very cool, post lots of pics.
View Quote

This is my initial design. I’m going to think on it and see where I can improve

Attachment Attached File
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
My Ruger Mk II Stubby (Page 9 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top