Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

My Ruger Mk II Stubby (Page 2 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By ScottS:
Well, there are.  Volquartsen makes some. They're just 2-3x the price of an actual, complete new gun.

Wirthwein Guns is an excellent dealer that has lowers from time to time, and if you regulary watch the seller "Gunbuster" or "Gunbuster NE" on Gunbroker, they occassionally have Mk II or Mk III "parts kits" (basically a gun with the receiver destroyed) that include the lower, etc.  

I had wanted to do this for a while, but was putting it off until I found a reasonably priced "donor" gun; as I said in the OP, I bought a very-good Mk II for the obscene price of $175 on Armslist, and the race was on...

View Quote

Yeah I’m aware of those options but my problem is that complete guns are the same price or less. Twice now I’ve bought guns with the sole purpose of posting it out but can never bring myself to do so. It all started with a Tactical Solutions Paclite upper from way back when.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NWRed:
Cool project, I'd skip the irons and go with a dovetail RDS mount
View Quote

This.

Also, I'd love to get chronograph data using CCI standard velocity from a pistol like that. I'd also like to know if it stayed subsonic with super sonic ammo with that short barrel.

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By spearogun:
I wonder if anyone has shortened a target bull barrel and made it just long enough to where they can mount the normal front sight on the barrel.
View Quote

Absolutely doable. Would result in a ~3-3.25" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By M16A4:

This.

Also, I'd love to get chronograph data using CCI standard velocity from a pistol like that. I'd also like to know if it stayed subsonic with super sonic ammo with that short barrel.

View Quote

See the chrono data I posted.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:36:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottS] [#5]
Originally Posted By M16A4:
This.

Also, I'd love to get chronograph data using CCI standard velocity from a pistol like that. I'd also like to know if it stayed subsonic with super sonic ammo with that short barrel.

View Quote
There's a post above where a guy chrono'd standard velocity Fed Bulk Pak at ~850fps or so.  Gotta be pretty close to the same for CCI SV.

ETA:  I GOTTA learn to type faster.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:41:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottS] [#6]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:Yeah I’m aware of those options but my problem is that complete guns are the same price or less. Twice now I’ve bought guns with the sole purpose of posting it out but can never bring myself to do so. It all started with a Tactical Solutions Paclite upper from way back when.
View Quote
DO NOT buy Pac-Lite upper!!  Because you put it on one of your pistols.  Then you have one extra upper.  Which you can' t bring yourself to part with.  Then you need another lower, then you need another upper, and it never ends.  Pac-Lite is the gateway drug (upper).  Ask me how I know this.

It is ludicrous that you can buy takeoff uppers (the actual firearm) from Volquartsen, et al, for under $50, but the lower polymer frame is twice the price of a new gun.  WTF is that all about?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a spare upper and a 3-D printer.  Wonder if I could print a lower?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
DO NOT buy Pac-Lite upper!!  Because you put it on one of your pistols.  Then you have one extra upper.  Which you can' t bring yourself to part with.  Then you need another lower, then you need another upper, and it never ends.  Pac-Lite is the gateway drug (upper).  Ask me how I know this.

It is ludicrous that you can buy takeoff uppers (the actual firearm) from Volquartsen, et al, for under $50, but the lower polymer frame is twice the price of a new gun.  WTF is that all about?
View Quote

Supply and demand.
Originally Posted By backbencher:
I have a spare upper and a 3-D printer.  Wonder if I could print a lower?
View Quote

Do it. It’s been discussed for years but nobody has done it that I’m aware of. You also run into the problem of some small parts that aren’t easily available in the aftermarket.

I even periodically email Magpul and tell them to build one in fact I’m overdue
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:28:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#9]
Here's my chopped MKIV. I want to say it's a hair under 3" barrel. One of my favorite setups that always goes to the range with me. Can is a Q El Camino. The Volquartesen accurizing kit is also recommended and turns these guns into sweet little shooters.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I like those grips on the top ruger outrider....
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:30:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: airgunner] [#11]
Originally Posted By Outrider:
Here's my chopped MKIV. I want to say it's a hair under 3" barrel. One of my favorite setups that always goes to the range with me. Can is a Q El Camino. The Volquartesen accurizing kit is also recommended and turns these guns into sweet little shooters.

https://i.imgur.com/xMlPJSc.jpg
View Quote

I love the grips on the lower Paclite upper'ed MKIV! Who made them and where did you get them?

I have been seriously considering something like the top one but would love to find someone who can mill the top for an optic instead of using the DT adaptor?
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#12]
@MK330
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 1:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: F224] [#13]
I made this up awhile ago. It’s a MKII with a Volquartsen trigger, and the front sight is dovetailed into the receiver.

Fixed it, thanks!

Link Posted: 7/2/2020 2:24:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NWRed] [#14]
Originally Posted By F224:
I made this up awhile ago. It’s a MKII with a Volquartsen trigger, and the front sight is dovetailed into the receiver.

View Quote

@F224 you need to use the "img" tag ( looks like a picture of mountains) for images.

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#15]
F224 That's  a beauty!
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Changed it up a little to make it lighter.  We'll see how it runs on the 22/45 lower.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 6:49:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Plumber576] [#17]
I'm doing this.

I was thinking about chopping my stock MkII Target but I don't think I can bring myself to molest that gun.

I'm going to do my MkIV 22/45. Plus it'll be easier to take apart to clean from running suppressed. I wish there was some way to add a rail for a light with a 2" barrel. Does anyone know of a clamp-on pic rail that doesn't look outrageous?

Thanks for the inspiration. Will post results. Eventually.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#18]
You're chopping it.  Have the billboard drilled & tapped for a pic rail.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:
I'm doing this.

I was thinking about chopping my stock MkII Target but I don't think I can bring myself to molest that gun.

I'm going to do my MkIV 22/45. Plus it'll be easier to take apart to clean from running suppressed. I wish there was some way to add a rail for a light with a 2" barrel. Does anyone know of a clamp-on pic rail that doesn't look outrageous?

Thanks for the inspiration. Will post results. Eventually.
View Quote

http://www.performanceservicesmachining.com/ruger-22-products/ruger-2245-mark-ii-mark-iii-bolt-on-under-barrel-picatinny-rail/
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 8:26:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Plumber576] [#20]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
You're chopping it.  Have the billboard drilled & tapped for a pic rail.
View Quote

Interesting idea. I like the way you think.

I ended up finding that last night and have it bookmarked. Was hoping to find something more low-profile but this would work.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I stumbled into this thread and had been wanting to do something similar with my Ruger Standard.

My Ruger Standard Mk1 is from 1952, used and in good - very good with some wear on it - Is it a sin for chopping an earlier standard model?  

It cost me only like $125 a few years ago - I like the factory lines but always wanted to suppress it.  Shoots reliably well as is.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't chop a MK I. I would butcher a MKII though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
I stumbled into this thread and had been wanting to do something similar with my Ruger Standard.

My Ruger Standard Mk1 is from 1952, used and in good - very good with some wear on it - Is it a sin for chopping an earlier standard model?  

It cost me only like $125 a few years ago - I like the factory lines but always wanted to suppress it.  Shoots reliably well as is.
View Quote

Depending on what exactly it is you could probably fund a MKII or MKIII with it and then parts and mags get easier.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:  I stumbled into this thread and had been wanting to do something similar with my Ruger Standard.

View Quote

3rd year of production, and you want to chop it?
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#25]
It's yours so do what you want. Before I started aiming to build a stubby I had a MkIV lite 22/45 and a MkII Target. The lite can't be chopped and I decided to keep the MkII stock.

So I bought a MkIV target upper for $40 and a spare complete bolt for $30. MkIV is so easy to take down and with the short barrel suppressed I bet it'll need good cleaning after each range session. New upper and bolt are tested and now just waiting to find the right place to have mine chopped.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By OTTOSEAR:
Very 1980's.

I have a 3.5 inch Buckmark, Tornado did years ago.
It has a clocked 3 lug for a Checkmate...

Similar look with the can.
View Quote

More like 1960s Man From U.N.C.L.E.  In the original plot he used a Luger but then they switched to the chopped P-38 for the series.  Interesting project anyways.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#27]
It's yours so do what you want. Before I started aiming to build a stubby I had a MkIV lite 22/45 and a MkII Target. The lite can't be chopped and I decided to keep the MkII stock.

So I bought a MkIV target upper for $40 and a spare complete bolt for $30. MkIV is so easy to take down and with the short barrel suppressed I bet it'll need good cleaning after each range session. New upper and bolt are tested and now just waiting to find the right place to have mine chopped.
View Quote

JP Grips and Machine is what you seek.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Rockyriver:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rockyriver:

I went with D.Wilson Manufacturing since it looked like they had the sights down. Picked it up at the post office this morning!

I have some more work to do to get it where I want but I'm extremely please with the work done based on looks, haven' shot it yet. Once it's complete to where i want it I'll post more pics.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#29]

I went with D.Wilson Manufacturing since it looked like they had the sights down. Picked it up at the post office this morning!

https://i.imgur.com/d9kL9zwl.jpg

I have some more work to do to get it where I want but I'm extremely please with the work done based on looks, haven' shot it yet. Once it's complete to where i want it I'll post more pics.
View Quote

This is where I got mine done, too.  Excellent work and fast turn.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 4:26:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Plumber576] [#30]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/d9kL9zwl.jpg

Turnaround was much faster than expected.

Think my threads are a tad long. O-ring removed my Spectre II bottoms out on the threads and not the barrel. There's a fingernail width gap between the back of the silencer and face of the barrel. Frustrating. I have a SiCo spacer but it ruins the look.

Anyone know where to find a 1/2x28 threaded 1/8" tall 0.88" wide spacer?
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 5:47:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottS] [#31]

Turnaround was much faster than expected.

Think my threads are a tad long. O-ring removed my Spectre II bottoms out on the threads and not the barrel. There's a fingernail width gap between the back of the silencer and face of the barrel. Frustrating. I have a SiCo spacer but it ruins the look.

Anyone know where to find a 1/2x28 threaded 1/8" tall 0.88" wide spacer?
View Quote
Very interesting.  That's the only complaint I had: the threads are .500" long vice the nominal .400" for a pistol can.  I've been using a thin, flat spacer, but I think I'm going to send my receiver back and ask him to face the threads down to .400"
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 7:53:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Plumber576] [#32]
Very interesting.  That's the only complaint I had: the threads are .500" long vice the nominal .400" for a pistol can.  I've been using a thin, flat spacer, but I think I'm going to send my receiver back and ask him to face the threads down to .400"
View Quote

If they could cut me a slice off the next target barrel they chop it'd be perfect. But yea, I wish I went with 0.400" threads, too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

How big of a deal is this?

I see they actually sell Ruger pistols; you can add the chop and sight install at purchase.

I don't want something I'll have to get worked on again of course.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Pachucko:

How big of a deal is this?

I see they actually sell Ruger pistols; you can add the chop and sight install at purchase.

I don't want something I'll have to get worked on again of course.
View Quote

It’s definitely preferable to have the correct length threads over using a spacer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

It’s definitely preferable to have the correct length threads over using a spacer.
View Quote

Agree, and without the spacer, I end up in the blast chamber of some of my rimfire cans.  I'll drop him a note this week about sending my upper back for a trim.

BTW, the uppers he (Dave Wilson) sells are MKIV, so if you don't have a MKIV, it won't do you much good.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Agree, and without the spacer, I end up in the blast chamber of some of my rimfire cans.  I'll drop him a note this week about sending my upper back for a trim.

BTW, the uppers he (Dave Wilson) sells are MKIV, so if you don't have a MKIV, it won't do you much good.
View Quote

Makes sense.

He also sells complete guns!!

I'm looking at the MKIV 22/45.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Let me know what they say about sending it back.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Let me know what they say about sending it back.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

I used the 'contact us' form on the web-site and asked if they could do .4 versus .5 on a 22/45 purchased form them.

The response was to just note in the comments I'd like .4" thread length versus the standard .5".

Guess the "standard" varies?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I used the 'contact us' form on the web-site and asked if they could do .4 versus .5 on a 22/45 purchased form them.

The response was to just note in the comments I'd like .4" thread length versus the standard .5".

Guess the "standard" varies?
View Quote

I used that form, and Dave responded very quickly, and told me he could trim it to .400".  I'm shipping tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#41]

I used that form, and Dave responded very quickly, and told me he could trim it to .400".  I'm shipping tomorrow.
View Quote

Good to hear!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Was giving it some thought and now wish I had a 3D printer and knew how to use it.

I'd love to have a spacer with an integrated pic rail so I could add a light. Something like this Streamlight shotgun mount but sized for the Mk pistol.

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Was giving it some thought and now wish I had a 3D printer and knew how to use it.

I'd love to have a spacer with an integrated pic rail so I could add a light. Something like this Streamlight shotgun mount but sized for the Mk pistol.

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/src/primary/754/754094.jpg?imwidth=480
View Quote

Pinched between the barrel and can?
I would think a trigger guard mounted unit might be more easily done, either 3d printed or modifiying a cheap 1911 version (similar thin,  rounded triggerguard)
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By NWRed:
Pinched between the barrel and can?
I would think a trigger guard mounted unit might be more easily done, either 3d printed or modifiying a cheap 1911 version (similar thin,  rounded triggerguard)
View Quote

Pinched or threaded, sure. Maybe have it index off the grip or something. I'm just spitballin' ideas.

Depending on attachment and location a trigger guard mount could prevent removing the top.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Pinched or threaded, sure. Maybe have it index off the grip or something. I'm just spitballin' ideas.

Depending on attachment and location a trigger guard mount could prevent removing the top.
View Quote

I just bought a $9/shipped 1911 rail off ebay to test the idea out. We'll see when it shows up from China.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 1:28:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By NWRed:
I just bought a $9/shipped 1911 rail off ebay to test the idea out. We'll see when it shows up from China.
View Quote

Please share results!
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 2:30:43 AM EDT
[#47]

Please share results!
View Quote

Looking at the Streamlight shotgun mount, a piece of sheet metal with a 7/8" hole and bent in either an L - just the rail section, or a Z with a portion coming back over the top of the receiver with a screw ran through the forward most optic rail threaded hole to secure it. My MKii doesnt have threaded holes for a rail, but it'd be pretty easy to add a single hole in the receiver to secure a light rail.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Back yet?  Yes, I'm impatient...
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#49]
So Stubby owners...

Anyone wish they had chosen a bit longer barrel?  I like the look of the 2/2.1 but I'm thinking I should go with 2.5 or so.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Back yet?  Yes, I'm impatient...
View Quote

Hahaha.  Not yet.  He got it late last week.
Page / 9
My Ruger Mk II Stubby (Page 2 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top