Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2016 11:01:06 AM EDT
I am new to the world of rimfire pistols.  I have a Sparrow SS in jail and want to start looking for hosts.  What is everyone using for suppressors? I would like it to be fairly quiet.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Ruger SR-22 and a 22/45. I like them both with my YHM Stinger.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#2]
My .22LR handgun host: Browning Buckmark Camper/Whisper.

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 22/45 and a M&P 22C.  I like the M&P better.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#4]
The Ruger is pretty much the standard for .22 pistols everywhere. There's no question that there's more aftermarket parts and support. In my experience they are also much more durable.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:35:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Rugers are good, cheap pistols.  They aren't perfect.   But, the entire gun can be replaced with aftermarket parts.    

If you want something a little better out of the box, check out Browning Buckmarks.  While not perfect, without aftermarket parts, it can be tuned to be very sweet.

The S&W model 41 is still the nicest US made 22 lr pistol currently made.  

The Ruger MK series, ßrowning BuckMark, and S&W model41 each have their strengths and weaknesses.

The S&W 41 is great. It is not cheap and aftermarket support is the most limited of the 3. They have an awesome trigger. They are generally set up for standard velocity ammo. They are the easiest to teardown and also support a quick cleaning on the range. Everything about the gun is top notch.

The BuckMarks are usually in the middle regarding price, and it shows. They have far superior triggers, compared to the Rugers, without spending a dime. They yield a great trigger. Those that have a mag disconnector are super easy to remove. (3 minutes or less) They are easy to clear and clean between cycles on the range. While simple to teardown, it impacts the way the sights are mounted and their alignment. But they do respond very well to cleaning without disassembly. They do have good aftermarket support, but not close to the Rugers. Few models are available at a time from ßrowning.

The basic Ruger MK design has been around for over 55 years and inspired the 22/45. While the MK series offers a steel lower with a grip angle much like a P08 Luger,the 22/45 has a lighter polymer frame with a 1911 angle and feel. One can change the grips on the MK series. Neither has a great trigger, (or what I would even call good, but maybe functional), but both have incredible aftermarket support. Neither is as easy as the S&W and ßrownings to do a quick scrub and clear. But, you can completely tear it down and reassemble one without impacting the sights, unlike the ßrownings. The barrels can be more involved to replace as they are the gun, the serialized component. On the other hand, there are always more models available at any time and at a lower price than the ßrownings. Aftermarket support is through the roof, just like the 10/22.

A lot of the views as to which is best between the Rugers and the ßrownings are subjective. In some ways, the Ruger Mark series is like the AK, both using steel lowers while the ßrownings and ARs use aluminum lowers. But, the Ruger, like the AR, is the Lego set or Erector Set of the gun world.

As an afterthought, I'd like to point out that safeties on the S&W, ßrowning, and Ruger MK series seem to be an afterthought. However, the ßrowning seems to have the most substantial safety and easiest to use.

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And you can replace the barrel on a Buckmark without a FFL, or 4473, or transfer fee, or background check being involved.  Sure is nice to put a different barrel on without the preceding 4 items being necessary.  And you don't NEED all the aftermarket parts.  Why buy a gun that needs another 100-200 bucks worth of aftermarket parts to equal your Buckmark.  Not a fanboy but I've owned 2 Rugers and 1 Buckmark.  Guess which one I still own?

Tac Sol for the win.  Through the mail or UPS.  Easy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a relative that just recently traded his way out of a 22/45 because of issues he had with it. He sent it in to Ruger for repairs knowing he would never be comfortable with it. After he got it back, he traded it away.

This is EXACTLY what my cousin had to say about it.

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

<snip>

View Quote

Why do you use the Eszett instead of an upper case B?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z114/bobsgunsUSP/buckmarkwhisper.jpg
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got a M&P compact 22lr.  It's been very reliable.  

The Ruger mark 3 & copies are another good option to look at.  I noticed DSG has $250 tactical solutions uppers.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Weirdo/Iconoclast

Translation: Different for the sake of being different.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

/thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z114/bobsgunsUSP/buckmarkwhisper.jpg

/thread

Hey!  What about my factory suppressor ready 4 &3/8" model?   It is listed as a Browning BuckMark Micro Bull SR NS URX 4.4".   Removed the mag disconnector and did the spring flip for a short, sub 2.5 # trigger.

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Weirdo/Iconoclast

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Weirdo/Iconoclast

Adding idiosyncratic.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Adding idiosyncratic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Weirdo/Iconoclast

Adding idiosyncratic.

I admire your honesty.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#15]

This is what i got for my soon to be mine .22 can.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I use a M&P 22 (old version).  No complaints.  It is conventional wisdom that any choice should be a 4 inch barrel, keeps 22lr subsonic.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Had my Ruger MK III bull barrel, threaded by a local gunsmith. Instead of the conventional knurled thread protector. I had him make a regular end piece which when installed looks like the rest of the barrel. He also moved the sight back.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Weirdo/Iconoclast

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Weirdo/Iconoclast

Then consider a RIA XT22 with the threaded barrel/optic rail.  Nicely made, all steel 1911/.22.  I have the "regular" version that also came with a .45 upper half.  I love it.  FWIW, I also have Buckmarks, MkIIs, 22/45, and a S&W 41.  I would also recommend the MkII and Buckmark.  I don't own any MkIIIs, and I'm not really head over heals over the 22/45.

ETA, not my ad, but here's a pic... http://www.gunbroker.com/item/572877127
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#19]
PPQ M2 .22. That thing is bad a$$.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hey!  What about my factory suppressor ready 4 &3/8" model?   It is listed as a Browning BuckMark Micro Bull SR NS URX 4.4".   Removed the mag disconnector and did the spring flip for a short, sub 2.5 # trigger.
View Quote

I like it, which means it isn't available anymore.  Any idea if these are a once a year release, or are permanently discontinued?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I've owned a number of different .22LR pistols over the years and they are all pretty decent. The only one I would not recommend is the Walther P22, pure garbage IMO. Past that, there are a number of good options, just depends on your personal taste?

The S&W 41 is a great rimfire and I love mine but the price on them has gotten stupid and I would not recommend one as a suppressor host because there is no factory threaded option. It can be done but not cheaply on an already very expensive gun.

For a suppressor host, your best bets IMO are...

Ruger 22/45 (i'd look at the new MK4 version with easy take down)
Browning Buckmark
S&W Victory.

There are a number of service pistol type 22s and they are OK if that's what you want but unless you are wanted something similar to what you carry, they offer nothing over one of the 3 pistols mentioned above.

Between those 3, I went with the 22/45 because I like how it fits in my hand and it has the best aftermarket support. The Buckmark and Victory do have the advantage of being able to replace the barrel (without replacing the serial numbered receiver) but if you buy one with the barrel you want, that shouldn't be an issue. Don't really like that you need a tool to take down the Victory. Check all 3 out and go with the one you like the most.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Had my Ruger MK III bull barrel, threaded by a local gunsmith. Instead of the conventional knurled thread protector. I had him make a regular end piece which when installed looks like the rest of the barrel. He also moved the sight back.
View Quote

I had ADCO do mine. It shoots great, is reliable and amazingly quite. I had him do my 10/22 as well.

I wanted to get one of the new Ruger Mark IV's until I actually handled one. They're making the new frames out of plastic and that isn't what I want. Any Mark I, II, III 5.5" Target model will serve you well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I picked up the new MK IV 22/45 Ruger.  It shoots fantastic and it is a breeze to take down to clean.  Push a button and the lower separates from the upper.  I've shot it with the same suppressor as yours and had no issues whatsoever.  The new MK IV has solved many of the challenges in previous versions.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I had ADCO do mine. It shoots great, is reliable and amazingly quite. I had him do my 10/22 as well.

I wanted to get one of the new Ruger Mark IV's until I actually handled one. They're making the new frames out of plastic and that isn't what I want. Any Mark I, II, III 5.5" Target model will serve you well.
View Quote

The 22/45 mk 4 has the plastic frame.  The regular mk4 has an aluminum alloy frame, if I'm not mistaken. Regardless, it's metal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top