Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2016 6:08:04 PM EDT
Just picked up a threaded barrel victory the other week for use as a suppressor host, and I already have a couple of MKII's and a MKIII here, so I don't need a buckmark, but those UDX plus's with the rosewood grips keep calling to me.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Buckmark is a fantastic .22 pistol. Good accuracy, easy to field strip and re-assemble, will feed any .22 ammo that I've tried.  Granted there aren't many aftermarket parts but they work well nevertheless.  I have a 5" bull barrel model that I picked up used at my LGS 5-6 yrs ago for very short money.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I love mine with the Tacsol barrel and can.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't talk you out of one as I have some to include  a factory suppressor ready 4 &3/8" model.   It is listed as a Browning BuckMark Micro Bull SR NS URX 4.4".   Removed the mag disconnector and did the spring flip for a short, sub 2.5 # trigger.

The Ruger MK series, ßrowning BuckMark, and S&W model41 each have their strengths and weaknesses.

The S&W 41 is great. It is not cheap and aftermarket support is the most limited of the 3. They have an awesome trigger. They are generally set up for standard velocity ammo. They are the easiest to teardown and also support a quick cleaning on the range. Everything about the gun is top notch.   I love mine.

The BuckMarks are usually in the middle regarding price, and it shows. They have far superior triggers, compared to the Rugers, without spending a dime. They yield a great trigger. Those that have a mag disconnector are super easy to remove. (3 minutes or less) They are easy to clear and clean between cycles on the range. While simple to teardown, it impacts the way the sights are mounted and their alignment. But they do respond very well to cleaning without disassembly. They do have good aftermarket support, but not close to the Rugers. Few models are available at a time from ßrowning.

The basic Ruger MK design has been around for over 55 years and inspired the 22/45. While the MK series offers a steel lower with a grip angle much like a P08 Luger,the 22/45 has a lighter polymer frame with a 1911 angle and feel. One can change the grips on the MK series. Neither has a great trigger, (or what I would even call good, but maybe functional), but both have incredible aftermarket support. Neither is as easy as the S&W and ßrownings to do a quick scrub and clear. But, you can completely tear it down and reassemble one without impacting the sights, unlike the ßrownings. The barrels can be more involved to replace as they are the gun, the serialized component. On the other hand, there are always more models available at any time and at a lower price than the ßrownings. Aftermarket support is through the roof, just like the 10/22.

A lot of the views as to which is best between the Rugers and the ßrownings are subjective. In some ways, the Ruger Mark series is like the AK, both using steel lowers while the ßrownings and ARs use aluminum lowers. But, the Ruger, like the AR, is the Lego set or Erector Set of the gun world.

As an afterthought, I'd like to point out that safeties on the S&W, ßrowning, and Ruger MK series seem to be an afterthought. However, the ßrowning seems to have the most substantial safety and easiest to use.   The S&W 41 is substantial but harder to use because of the oversized target grips.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#5]
if you decide to purchase a used Buckmark, make sure you inspect the chamber for dry fire damage. No firing pin stop on Buckmarks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:08:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if you decide to purchase a used Buckmark, make sure you inspect the chamber for dry fire damage. No firing pin stop on Buckmarks.
View Quote

thanks for the tip..

Ended up putting one on layaway at Buds till some things Im trying to sell get purchased.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a violation of the Guy Code for one man to talk another man out of buying a gun.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought one yesterday. I guess I wont be talking you out of buying one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#9]
And you can replace the barrel on a Buckmark without a FFL, or 4473, or transfer fee, or background check being involved.  Sure is nice to put a different barrel on without the preceding 4 items being necessary.  And you don't NEED all the aftermarket parts.  Why buy a gun that needs another 100-200 bucks worth of aftermarket parts to equal your Buckmark.  Not a fanboy but I've owned 2 Rugers and 1 Buckmark.  Guess which one I still own?

Tac Sol for the win.  Through the mail or UPS.  Easy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just picked up a threaded barrel victory the other week for use as a suppressor host, and I already have a couple of MKII's and a MKIII here, so I don't need a buckmark, but those UDX plus's with the rosewood grips keep calling to me.

View Quote

I would not talk you out of that.
Hell, if I saw the one with rosewood grips, I'd fight you for it!
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:30:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Talk you out of a Buckmark....hmm..  ummm, no.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks to this thread, I just purchased a Gemtech G22 on silencershop

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#14]
They're nice guns but not significantly better than what you already have.  Brownings tend to need a little more TLC than Rugers (we have both in our club with a bagillion rounds thru them).
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think they are always over rated. The Ruger MK series, ßrowning BuckMark, and S&W model41 each have their strengths and weaknesses.

The S&W 41 is great. It is not cheap and aftermarket support is the most limited of the 3. They have an awesome trigger. They are generally set up for standard velocity ammo. They are the easiest to teardown and also support a quick cleaning on the range. Everything about the gun is top notch.

The BuckMarks are usually in the middle regarding price, and it shows. They have far superior triggers, compared to the Rugers, without spending a dime. They yield a great trigger. Those that have a mag disconnector are super easy to remove. (3 minutes or less) They are easy to clear and clean between cycles on the range. While simple to teardown, it impacts the way the sights are mounted and their alignment. But they do respond very well to cleaning without disassembly. They do have good aftermarket support, but not close to the Rugers. Few models are available at a time from ßrowning.

The basic Ruger MK design has been around for over 55 years and inspired the 22/45. While the MK series offers a steel lower with a grip angle much like a P08 Luger,the 22/45 has a lighter polymer frame with a 1911 angle and feel. One can change the grips on the MK series. Neither has a great trigger, (or what I would even call good, but maybe functional), but both have incredible aftermarket support. Neither is as easy as the S&W and ßrownings to do a quick scrub and clear. But, you can completely tear it down and reassemble one without impacting the sights, unlike the ßrownings. The barrels can be more involved to replace as they are the gun, the serialized component. On the other hand, there are always more models available at any time and at a lower price than the ßrownings. Aftermarket support is through the roof, just like the 10/22.

A lot of the views as to which is best between the Rugers and the ßrownings are subjective. In some ways, the Ruger Mark series is like the AK, both using steel lowers while the ßrownings and ARs use aluminum lowers. But, the Ruger, like the AR, is the Lego set or Erector Set of the gun world.

As an afterthought, I'd like to point out that safeties on the S&W, ßrowning, and Ruger MK series seem to be an afterthought. However, the ßrowning seems to have the most substantial safety and easiest to use.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I shoot better with my Buckmark than any of my other pistols. Shocker, right?

I don't feel remorse for buying it over a MKIII. I am sure I will get the Ruger at some point anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top