Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2015 6:20:34 PM EDT
Are current production sig 22's reliable?
I've heard many bad things about them so I'd like to know if I should fo?

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about current production, but my Mosquito works fine as long as I'm using CCI Mini-Mag's.

I've also seen this "fix" on the interwebz, not sure if it helps/works or not as I haven't tried:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gBRMaIfRqk

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You have a 50% chance it will run from what I have experienced.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Hot Pink one that my GF couldn't live without, runs fine with High Velocity ammo...........
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have a 50% chance it will run from what I have experienced.
View Quote

I am in the disenting group, it was horrible.

I traded it outright for a 50 anniversary mark ii
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#6]
hit and miss

it got traded off for a ruger sr22
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Once I found the right ammo, mine works flawlessly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:11:54 PM EDT
[#8]
It's reliably unreliable
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one about 5 years ago. Complete junk. It worked with CCI in the beginning, then would never feed worth a shit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#10]
When people say ...   It works great if....  

It sucks. One of, if not, Sigs biggest failure

It looks good, has a good name, but it is just a fucking jam o matic

Im sure someone will be along shortly to tell me theirs runs awesome after it got broke in and is well oiled when they are shooting mini mags etc...

its a fucking junk gun

Get an MKII or something that will last a lifetime and eat anything you feed it
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I have not owned one but see plenty choke at the range. While some 22's can be ammo sensitive, in this age of very limited .22 supply you need to have a gun that is much more likely to run with anything you can find and the mosquito is not it.
To broaden the discussion in my mind there are three basic type .22's:
The old school classics and modern versions like the old high standards, ruger mk I/II/III  colt woodsman's etc
These tend to be very accurate and durable but often work well with only standard velocity ammo, and it is often hard to tell initially if they may have been abused or have worn parts that may be hard to come by.

The modern "combat trainer " types like m&p ruger sr22 various umarex products etc.
These tend to be cheaply made low price point guns with little long term reliability history - I seriously doubt any will be running fine on all original parts fifty years from now like many of the old classics you see. They tend to have crude sights and heavy triggers which doesn't help matters

The target type pistols which tend to be more sturdy made out of higher grade materials  and have good history of function like the current ruger marks buckmark etc this is the go to category in my opinion ( I would put most revolvers in this category as well)

Last (ok4 categories)
Are your high end 1k plus pistols strictly designed for bullseye which will show sterling accuracy but can also be ammo sensitive or finicky and again are usually designed around standard vel ammo
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you want a .22 styled like a classic series SIG then get one of the "classic .22s" built on the P229, P226, or P220. They're actual .22 SIGs, not a pot metal look alike made by Walther that has a poor chance of actual working.

To add, you can even use a standard SIG slide on them.
View Quote

So the mosquito is a Walther/Umarex product?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Get an MKII or something that will last a lifetime and eat anything you feed it
View Quote

Sample size of 1 each, but the MkII I regularly shot (dad's) was not appreciably better than my Mosquito.  My next .22 will be a revolver, 617 or Kit Gun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#15]
One should not use 'Sig Mosquito' and 'Reliability' in the same sentence without 'Piss-poor' in the middle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's reliably unreliable
View Quote

That's the same problem that I had.    
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I purchased a new one about 4 or 5 years ago.  I knew about the ammo finnickiness.   I prepped it well.  Broke it in with 100 mini-mags.  Not a single failure.  Switched to other ammo and had/have at least 1 failure per mag.   Most of my failures are fail to extract.  I found the bulk Blazer worked well too.  Most anything else I tried too many failures.

Fast forward to the past week.   I rewatched some Youtube videos and reworked/polished the feed ramp/feed ramp transition.  Shot it again yesterday.   Works much better now for the most.  I tried several brands of bulk that had not worked for me in the past.   Mag after mag ran fine.  Then tried some Winchester bulk.   Could not believe it.   I had failures with every single round in the mag(10).   Most failed to extract.

Guess I need to do a little more work.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Not reliable.  Avoid.

Buy Ruger SR22P.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a new threaded barrel version about two years ago.  It came with two recoil springs.  I broke it in with about 400 rounds of MiniMags.  After that this is what I found:

The heavier spring works flawlessy with Blazer, Minimags, Stinger, and Thunderbolt.

The other spring works with CCI standard velocity, Federal 710, and some other SV load i dont remember.

CCI quiet will not reliably function at all.  Which sucks since I bought it for a suppressor host.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#20]
This week on Monday afternoon one of the guys at the club showed up with one.
He was going to teach his SO how to shoot.
Needless to say but here goes..........The Mosquito didnt work worth a dam.

I took pity on them and let them use my Ruger SR22.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#21]
ive had one for a few years and it runs great with and w/o a can. when i shoot supressed i use subsonics and it only jammed once after about 400rnds. man was it dirty lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Kind of reminds me of the Chevy Corvair and Vega.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#23]
My mosquito is the biggest piece of shit ever. I can't imagine a worse product. I'll never buy another SIG product again.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Mosquito was the one gun that was 100% unreliable despite everything I tried.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Mosquito did a lot of damage to the SIG reputation. It's as "Made-by-SIG" as their promo stickers and teeshirts. It's not actually a SIG product.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My mosquito is the biggest piece of shit ever. I can't imagine a worse product. I'll never buy another SIG product again.

The Mosquito did a lot of damage to the SIG reputation. It's as "Made-by-SIG" as their promo stickers and teeshirts. It's not actually a SIG product.

Could care less. They shouldn't put their name on it if they don't want to stand by it. IMO they owe me $300 back regardless of whose made it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top